new owner

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
sh150ms

new owner

Post by sh150ms » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:32 pm

hello from Mississippi
just bought a 2010 with 758 miles

TommyXP
Staff

Re: new owner

Post by TommyXP » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 am

Wow! 758 miles! 2010! (my favorite year).....Oh, and welcome to the Forum MS.
That has to be the 'find' of the century.
All I can say is to make certain the 'break-in' oil has been swapped out (600 miles) and let the romance begin.
Congratulations!
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

sh150ms

Post by sh150ms » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:07 am

thanks, I got dealer to throw in a quart of oil as I always change the oil on a used bike.
He said it did not have a filter, just a small screen.
I don't really know anything about these bikes as my current bike is a 14 Vstrom 1000.
I just wanted something a little smaller for around town and saw this bike when I stopped at an area dealer to see what he had in stock.
I was in and out in 5 minutes and had bought this bike with a Honda trunk.
Will go back this Friday and pick it up and do some riding this weekend.

sh150ms

Post by sh150ms » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:10 am

Also, the bike came with out a manual, so I will go online and get one.
Does anyone know if there is a break in valve adjustment and at what mileage?
thanks

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:24 am

The valve clearance is checked at 600 miles and then every 2500 miles thereafter per the Owners Manual. I've checked both of mine initially per that schedule and always finding them both 'dead-nuts on', I've become a little lax in the performance of this operation. Most here have had the same experience. I have the feeling that most $tealerships confidently 'say' they do thi$ check and don't, because of Honda quality and reliability.
The intake is: 0.006 ± 0.001 in.
...exhaust is: 0.010 ± 0.001 in.
The oil drain plug is directly (sorta) beneath the dipstick/fill and consists of the plug/cap, an O-ring, a spring and a thimble-like screen, that 'normally' falls out all together. It holds 1 quart.
It is suggested that the O-ring be replaced upon each removal (I do) and suggest you stock a few of these from the get-go. It is #12 in the following diagram.....Shop around if you care to.....
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html
The torque on the oil cap/plug is 15 lbf-ft and working with aluminum on aluminum and this particular type of O-ring, 'tis wise to exercise this precaution IMO.
After this week-end, if your anything like me, you will have come to discover that 'shifting' is something mistakenly held over from the Dark Ages!
Enjoy the beginning of an unending honeymoon.....

sh150ms

Post by sh150ms » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Picked up bike today and drove 70 miles to gas station near my house after filling up at dealership.
Took .98 gallons of mostly 55 to 62 mpg cruising.
Since I didn't get a manual I m wondering what the black lever/rod is behind the left brake grip is?

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:39 am

The lever locks the brakes. Whilst squeezing the brake lever, reach for the lever with your fore-finger and pull it back to 'lock' the brakes. You can adjust how 'easy' or how 'hard' this is to do by making slight adjustment of the large nut at the very end of the rear-brake cable.
It's a parking-brake on steep inclines but IMO its also an additional anti-theft device for the unaware, as not many are knowledgeable about this feature.
Right Amigo?
Thinking back: those first 70 miles 'felt' a little strange and awkward as the Spirit was accustomed to a much lower center-of-gravity and being able to ride without any hands while standing upon the seat.
Spirit 'break-in' happens swiftly; a small price to pay for a new 'norm' and the convenience these lil' babe's constantly invite you to.....