Soon to be SH150i Owner.

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
YellowJacket

Soon to be SH150i Owner.

Post by YellowJacket » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Greeting friends, from Western North Carolina. Although I do not currently own one, I'm working a deal to become an owner. Spent a lot of time searching CL hoping for one that is close enough to home that I don't need to take a vacation to pick it up. Have now found one that sounds like just what I've been looking for. Should make the deal in the next week or so.
Not new to scooters, this will be my 12th. Have owned bikes from 125 to 500 cc's. Currently ride a much loved Kymco GTi300 and just sold a SYM HD 200. Really looking forward to seeing how the Honda compares with the HD. If you look at the spec's for the two you will find they are almost identical twins, same weight, power and appearance. Even the front brakes are the same size except the Honda uses twin piston calipers. Hope it stops better than the HD did.
Will keep you posted on my thoughts after I get some handlebar time in on the Honda. Later, Vic
Last edited by YellowJacket on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Soon to be SH150i Owner.

Post by TommyXP » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:20 am

Welcome to the Forum Vic.
We are looking forward to your comparison of the SH; especially considering your past experience.
I am willing to bet that the SH beats and exceeds your best expectations of anything in its near class.
Hopefully you'll soon see........
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

YellowJacket

Post by YellowJacket » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:23 am

Marine City Eh? Haven't done my profile yet but I'm from Michigan as well. Spent most of my life in the Adrian area but am originally from the copper country of the UP. Moved to WNC after retiring 20 years ago. Don't really care much for the snow in Mi.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi neighbor! I am slightly familiar with both Michigan area's. Hardly snowed here last Winter at all. One time we got 3" on the drive and the snow-plow driver (chompin'-at-the-bit) unnecessarily showed up out of boredom and I foolishly 'took-care-of-him' as if this was the first of many plow jobs to come! Oh well...as long as he had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year....

In the recent past I was looking-into ancient Egypt, and around 2,000B.C. a Phonetician ship would leave on a 3 year 'round-trip' journey and come back laden with Copper. "I" think and argue that they were getting it from the Keweenaw peninsula but have yet to prove it. Dang. You didn't happen to run across any hieroglyphs while you were poking around up there, did you? They used tons and tons of Copper and that stuff isn't readily available most anywhere in those kind of quantities......Been keeping me awake at night for years now, possibly awaiting this precious moment and serendipitous encounter! ;)

Western N. Carolina has some beautiful territory and was certainly worth fighting for(!?).....
Hope you get your new ride soon so I can honestly say: told ya so.....

YellowJacket

Post by YellowJacket » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:32 am

Tommy, we used to find pieces of copper mixed in with the gravel on our road.
I'm going next Wed. to pick up the SH, will have it home on Thursday. Bike has a number of performance parts on it as well as all the stock stuff. I'll do a "dyno test" on it as bought, then put all the original stuff back on, test again then put one part back on at a time running a test after each part is installed. I have a "secret" dyno site I used to evaluate any modifications I make. I need to know if something actually does what it is suppose to do and how much it changes things. Something I've learned from over 50 years of drag racing, not everything works as advertised.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 pm

I am looking forward to your analysis and findings. I 'feel' the SH is optimally designed within all parameters and 'tweaking' one de-tweaks another....I admire your tenacity, as your method IS the only way to really know without having to depend on our ever changing 'feelings'.
If you check your PM's (private messages) you might find something that will be of service to you in this coming endeavor.....

YellowJacket

Post by YellowJacket » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Leaving in the morning for the trip to Nashville to pick up the SHi. "Soon to be" will soon be "New Owner".

Of the various ways to measure HP, the seat of the pants method is the least reliable. I call it the "Butt Crack Dyno". In the '70's and '80's EVERYONE was making 4 into 1 exhaust systems for bikes. Sales were probably in the millions. Almost without exception, everyone that hung one on his bike just knew that it was faster. The few that actually did some sort of before and after tests usually found that their bikes were slower if they kept the pipes somewhere close to street legal.

YellowJacket

Post by YellowJacket » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:38 pm

Brought the little Honda home 3 days ago. Only had time to put a few miles on it. This bike has a number of "performance" mods done, Yoshamura exhaust, power commander, K&N air filter with snorkel removed. Also came with a new Polini variator not installed. Will eventually put everything back to original, then try one part at a time and test to see if part actually improves performance or hurts it. Already have done testing with the bike as bought. My tests consist of 8 full power starts over a short, uphill course, each test timed with a stop watch. I disregard the best and worst runs, then average the remaining 6. Distance just happened to be 161 yards. Also I wire up a small tach.
Bike is slower than the SYM HD200 I just sold. My test came to 9.05 seconds, SYM went 8.76 sec. bone stock. with 2 gr. heavier rollers went 9.13 sec. Top speed, two way average using GPS was 65.5 mph at 8430 rpm's for Honda, 69.5 for the SYM.
Plan to get into the meat of testing after Ermo leaves my area.

webbcord

Post by webbcord » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:21 am

I am located in Asheville , hope you love your SH as much as I do. I have a small stable of motorcycles and it out shines them all . Have had my baby for 8 wonderful years and more than 43,000 miles on her . She's just breaking in , for a long life on your ride change the oil every thousand miles . I use Honda full SYN. and have never burned any oil . Most of my mileage is on the Interstate . You will fall in love with the SH. :lol:

YellowJacket

Post by YellowJacket » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:11 am

webbcord, check your PM's.