Any tall riders out there?

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
Neebrews

Any tall riders out there?

Post by Neebrews » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi, I've been researching scooters for awhile and I am really impressed with the 2010 sh150i I just had a chance to test drive. My issue would be my size - 6'4" - I was concerned about turning and knees hitting handle bars. It was fine as I could slide back on the seat no problem, except for the slight bump in the seat is a bit of an issue. A few questions if you'll indulge me...

1. Any tall riders out there with similar issue/concerns, if so, how do you like the scooter and did you make any adjustments?

2. Is there any way to modify/swap out the handle bars - height adjustment?

3. Can any modifications be made to the seat or any aftermarket options available?

Thanks in advance and it's a great site, lots of useful info! Hope to join the ranks soon!

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Any tall riders out there?

Post by TommyXP » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:02 am

Welcome to the Forum Neebrews.
Being 6'1" the knee's have never been a thought or an issue and the handlebars are just fine, with the thought of replacing or adjusting their height being out of the question. At 6'4" I am certain you have accustomed yourself to the constant annoyance of things being made to suit the unworthy 'average' and can take-this-in-stride too.
The 'hump' in the seat can somewhat easily be removed, as I have done on both of mine and is detailed on how to do this in some older posts that you can access via the search function.
The seat IS and always has been an uncomfortable issue and IMHO is just something one can and should grow accustomed to. This is not a 'cruiser' and seldom do my runs require more than an hour in-the-saddle, when the butt could use a short break.
The seat being directly above the engine absolutely necessitates that its height be kept as low as humanly possible in order to achieve the lowest center-of-gravity. Once, I inserted 1" of foam in the seat and could 'sense' that UP is not the direction one would like to go and didn't even consider doing it to my second one as I could 'sense': it ain't good. The battery being in the floor beneath your feet is no accident...
One could invest a lot of cash in customizing the seat all they want IMO, but what is the purpose if you cannot go UP without sacrificing stability every minute increment of the way?
I loves my SH's and would recommend them over every other means of transport for constant day-to-day use. There is something about the ability to 'step-through' that invites one to constantly want to use it; whereas a motorcycle is a means-to-an-end to lug around and I would be reluctant to use it as I do the SH for EVERY little reason I can imagine, to go for a Ride on the spur of a moments notice.....
Go for it.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Neebrews

Post by Neebrews » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:02 am

Thanks TommyXP!
Yeah, I did some searches here after my initial post and saw several post about seat mods - looks like a simple DIY (famous last words) - good to know that adjustments can be made. A search of "tall" let me know that riders have a much bigger issue with the windshield height than they do their own....

Labman

Post by Labman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:01 am

Hi Nebrews,

I'm also 6'4" and have been riding a SH300 for the past 8 years. I can honestly say not once have the handles bars hit my knees or have I had any problems maneuvering because of my height.
I hope you go ahead with a purchase as it will surely not disappoint.