My SH 150 arrived yesterday

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
Ukebob

My SH 150 arrived yesterday

Post by Ukebob » Fri May 24, 2019 5:18 pm

I have been trying to get my hands on a Honda SH 150 for some time, but they are pretty hard to come by here in Northern California. I finally had one shipped from St Charles, MO, sight unseen and hoped for the best! I needn't have worried as it is in showroom condition with just under 10,000 miles.
It looks and feels very similar to my old SYM HD 200, which is also has 16" wheels. Also a lot slimmer than my Vespa GT 200.
Since I've only had it a short while,I won't comment on performance comparisons, only to say that I'm pretty impressed so far. It came with the Honda windscreen which I promptly removed, as it was way to big for my likings. If I can't find a shorter aftermarket one, I guess I'll cut it down. The scooter also has the Honda trunk, a beautiful piece of work, but, man, is it heavy, without anything in it! It's also very large and looks out of proportion to the rest of the bike. I'll definitely be switching it out with a more compact one.
My biggest disappointment was that it didn't have a side stand. Fortunately, I discovered that Buzzetti makes one for it. Will someone tell me if it fits the 2010 model?
I hope to learn from this forum and offer help whenever I can. I'm glad I found this place!

Bob

TommyXP
Staff

Re: My SH 150 arrived yesterday

Post by TommyXP » Mon May 27, 2019 6:18 am

Welcome to the Forum Bob and with a breath of kindness consider my comments; take whats worth keeping; and then blow the rest away.

IMHO you made a good choice and the extra effort on your part to obtain it will pay dividends far into the future. At 10,000 miles it is barely yet 'broken-in'.

IMO the windscreen and mounts are the BEST that the market has to offer and cutting off ~a couple inches is highly recommended. Consult the "Search" function to share many posts on which others have done same and how to best determine where to cut for Best visibility.

I, initially, had the same 'feeling' in regards to the possible aesthetics of a large truck and again, initially, bought a small, more compact one to fit into what I thought was pleasant to the eye. BIG mistake, and both of my SH's now sport an ~44qt. one and the smaller one is still kicking around the spare parts bin collecting dust($) as I cannot find another starry-eyed connoisseur of aesthetics to take it off my hands for love nor money!
I suggest giving the trunk a little Time before you act upon it to see if you realize (like I and many others) that BIGGER is Better and it is always a pleasure to be able to 'haul' more. The aesthetic illusion soon and righteously so, dissipates with Time.

Also, consult the SEARCH function again as far as the Buzzetti side-stand is concerned (I installed 2) and be certain you get the right one the first time.
It is a small task to dis-assemble and install but makes it a pleasure to be able to dismount and not have the lug the thing up onto the center-stand EVERY frigging time you dismount.

I highly recommend that IF you do not have a SH2010 Factory Service Manual (hard-copy), that you PM (private message) me with your e-mail and I will forward to you via DropBox a beautifully done .pdf version of it that one of our members graciously and time-stakenly did for all of us.
Having the Factory Service Manual is essential to getting maximum pleasurable benefit from the superbly engineered SH. It is a great help in showing the PROPER sequence of dis-assembly to get at some of the meatier chores at hand......Enjoy!
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Ukebob

Post by Ukebob » Mon May 27, 2019 9:10 pm

Thanks, Tommy for your advice and words of encouragement! I forgot to mention that the previous owner also included, not only the owner's manual, but also the workshop service manual, one of the best I've across.which of course is invaluable, if one is to do any servicing of the scooter.
You may be right about the trunk, as it is a good size and there is not much other storage space, so I'll live with it for a while, providing it doesn't contribute to any headshake, as some of the heavy tail boxes tend to do. Vespa includes heavy bar end weights to combat the head shake which can happen when the tail trunk is loaded.
I have ordered the Buzzetti stand from a USA based company and I'm sure it will be the right one. Having to raise the scooter on the center stand every time I dismount is a drag, to say the least!
Once again, thanks for your comments.

Bob

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue May 28, 2019 6:07 am

Bob,
It is good that you have the hard-copy manual to have by your side when working. Seems, try as one might, it soon becomes grease covered and dog-eared over Time, and those also serve as handy page-markers too....

I am not familiar with the factory top-box and doubt it is much if any heavier then the Givi I use, which isn't heavy at all IMO. Though the warning stickers (long gone) said something like 7 lb. max load; I've carried car batteries within, keeping in mind that this is not the Time to be sparking the foot pegs around corners too.
I also frequently utilize a pair of relatively inexpensive canvas saddle bags that I toss and un-toss over the seat to carry much 'stuff' when necessary. I know nothing of any 'head shake' but then again, this is far from sharing any characteristics with a Vespa; either aerodynamically or performance wise or any wise......

Recalling the installation of the side-stands: Don't be frustrated or hesitant if you must kinda bend the U-bolt portion of the bracket to make it work. Try, Try and then give in to the bend; now that you really, really know the direction it must go and torque it down to the point of contortion.......Then again, maybe not, now, so do as thou wilt......

Looking forward as to how it all goes, especially any attempts at verbalizing the Love that all here have experienced within this budding romance. To me, still, every time I mount, it continues to feel like the 'first-time'......"Sensations glorious, that gave us Life, grow torpid amidst the worlds ignoble strife." (forgot the author BUT this doesn't hold-true in SH world!)

NADman

Post by NADman » Tue May 28, 2019 12:54 pm

I suggest you get a pocket full of flat washers (of the right size) because you will run out of thread on that damn Ubolt.
Keep tightening it and 'distorting' it to fit. Every once in while, pull a nut off and add more washers.
Once in place it works great.

Ukebob

Post by Ukebob » Wed May 29, 2019 7:25 am

Thanks for your replies, guys, especially the information regarding the side stand installation. I am now prepared!
Went for a ride with my Vespa riding buddy yesterday, along one of our favorite back roads and the SH performed beyond my expectations. My only complaint was the suspension, which I found to be harsh over some of the rougher sections of the road.

Bob

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 am

Yes, the suspension and even more so the ball-busting seat is something one must accustom oneself to, as a small price for every other attribute the bike has to offer. Either we change our expectations OR we get a 'cruiser' and lose everything else. You'll find that you must concentrate more at choosing your 'line' to follow as you slalom down EVERY road and stand-up at every stop in order to re-arrange your 'package' too......Have fun.