New guy in Putnam NY

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
Activator

New guy in Putnam NY

Post by Activator » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:37 am

Hey all-

Just picked up my SH150i on Tuesday. I've only ridden it a few miles, but I'm loving it already!

I'm almost 50, and I've been riding motorcycles for about 10 years. (Can you say mid-life crisis?) I started with an Aprilia "Pegaso" 650 dual-sport, then fell for a BMW R1100S (still the best looking motorcycle ever in my opinion!) but I got tired of the top-heavyness, and the servo brakes were notoriously "grabby". After the R1100S, I owned a Ducati Multistrada 650 for a few years, which was nice, but "bland", so I traded that for a Ducati Hypermotard 1100 about 2 years ago.

So, why the SH? The Hyper sort of "cured" me of my lust for big, fast motorcycles. That bike made me feel like I was one little twist of the wrist from disaster! Exciting, yes, but few close calls due to a notoriously snatchy throttle and brake "pump-up", and I decided I was just an accident waiting to happen. So... Hyper sold!

The SH is purely for running errands and pleasure. I figure I drive about 300+ miles a month JUST running local errands and, even though my Honda CRV gets 20mpg around town, the gas savings will almost offset the cost of owning the SH if I use it for most of those local errands! Plus, it'll satisfy my lust for things with 2 wheels!

I've ridden scooters many, many times in Bermuda and Key West, and my wife has a cheap Chinese 2-stroke 50cc scooter that keeps me busy with maintenance... it seems that if it sits for more than a week, it needs a full carb cleaning in order to start and run smoothly! I'm loving the SH's fuel injection! That was a huge priority for me if I got a scoot.

I had looked seriously at the Elite, which is 1/2 the price and has a ton more storage, but I'm tall (6'5" and 200lb) and the Elite was just too small. My knees hit the turn signal stalks. The SH150i fits like it was made for me! I'm also happy that it'll do 65mph... most roads around where I live are 45mph, but people do more like 50-55. The Elite would have been struggling. Plus the 16" wheels and dual shocks make the ride very "motorcycle-like".

I'm not planning any major modifications... maybe a side stand (though the center stand is SO easy to use), and probably a top box. I found a nice looking box from "Saddlemen". The HC1700 - 28 liters, black with a nice big red reflector, universal mount included and it's only $89.95. I'd prefer the Honda top box, mostly so it mounts right to the factory rack, but at $250 or so, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Like I mentioned, I've only ridden the SH about 15 miles, but I noticed that the SH seems to be very susceptible to wind turbulence. I felt like I was being "blown around" a bit during my ride, and the wind blast to my upper torso is stronger than my "naked" Hypermotard! It's not a deal-killer, but I was surprised at the buffeting. I do NOT want a windshield, so I guess I'll have to get used to it!

Anyway, I'll be lurking around the forum and will post anything I find that would be of interest. Good to meet y'all, and safe scooting!

bigbird
Staff

Re: New guy in Putnam NY

Post by bigbird » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Welcome aboard. I had an SH150i for about a month last Spring and traded it on a Silverwing. The SH150 was/is a great little urban ride. My problem was riding 2 up with my wife on the highway. I expected too much from it. But for solo around town it can't be beat. Yes, at higher speeds you will get buffeted. Not much can be done due to the light weight and large sail area of the front tupperware. You'll appreciate that tupperware the first time you ride in the rain. Enjoy.
Terry
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

2fewmiles

Post by 2fewmiles » Sat May 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Welcome to the world of SH. It will only take a few more rides to get used to the SH. You will end up finding out that the SH for a 300 pound 153cc machine is absolutely fantastic. There is no other 2 wheeled device at this weight or displacement that can match the performance, stability, reliability, or shear build quality. I find that for its size the SH is very stable with no rattles, vibrations, wobbles or weird pogo motions. I have owned several larger scooters that had way more frame flexing issues, and with smaller tires this would become down right dangerous through tight turns over elevation changes at speed. The SH has none of these issues, and with the 16 inch wheels the steering is much better on grooved roads and over metal bridges. The upright riding position is way easier on your spine and you sit up high, eye to eye with most suv drivers. As far as torso wind blast, try getting a Honda windscreen (great build quality-and fit) and then cut it down somewhere between chin and nose height, especially if you are going to ride alot at night or in the rain. For speeds up to around 55 or so the SH is just a dream. Remember its always way more fun to ride a light slow bike fast than a heavy fast bike slow. Ride often - smile more.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun May 22, 2011 6:04 am

Promise. You will not regret putting on the sidestand......
http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details ... zetti/4500
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.