How to release the seat on a 2010 SH150i & Replace the cable

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
ComicDom1

How to release the seat on a 2010 SH150i & Replace the cable

Post by ComicDom1 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:54 pm

It's been a while since I posted and I mentioned I was having issues with my seat releasing on my 2010 Honda SH150i.

I have played with it with several keys and have only been successful getting it to release a couple of times. Last time it released just fine and I was able to fill the gas tank so I thought my issues were over. Well I was wrong.

This 2010 Honda SH150i has less a little over 5000 miles on it but less than 5500 miles on it and is located in Central Illinois. I figured the cold weather might be affecting the lock but that was a wrong assumption too. So I purchased a new seat cable at the Honda dealer for the bike this week. Problem is that I need to find a way to release the seat to replace the old cable with the new one. I cannot find any information in the Shop manual on how to do this.

Is there anyone in the forum that can tell me how to get this done.

By the way this 2010 Honda SH150 will be going up for sale as soon as this cable is changed. It has a fresh oil change, good tires, new battery, and a GIVI box.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this Honda Scooter except for the seat cable which we are replacing. My wife is 4 foot 11 and cannot reach the ground with her feet to hold it up so we have purchased a true 3 wheel converted 650 Suzuki Burgman Executive that she absolutely has fallen in love with.

My email address is ComicDom1@aol.com for thos that wish to contact us directly

Thanks,

Jason

Mikey

Re: How to release the seat on a 2010 SH150i & Replace the c

Post by Mikey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 pm

The seat lock cable connects to the ignition switch. From the Service manual pictures if you remove the front cover where the radiator is the cable runs to the ignition switch by the horn bracket nut and the radiator cap. You might be able to loosen the seat lock cable joint nut without removing the ignition switch. The service manual goes into detail on removing the ignition switch and it isnt pretty. Radiator has to come out. The radiator may be in your way
In mechanical questions and discussions I just posted a day or two ago how to make a emergency seat opener with a fishing lead.
Good luck!

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:31 pm

Here is the picture from the service manual after the radiator has been removed. See the horn and on the left is the cable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 am

Wondering whether it is the cable or the switch or possibly the person (forgive me).
When I picked up my first SH from the Stealership, I asked the mis-named "Service Manager" how to raise the seat. He didn't have a clue and went to ask someone. He returned and began to twist the key counter-clockwise, and when it did not immediately respond he began to violently jam it, back-and-forth, with such force (to no effect) that I instinctively responded by knocking his hand off of MY new bride.
Strange as it is, there IS a feel to it and it will not merely open just by twisting the key to the stop.
Both of mine are like that and respond ONLY to a smooth and gentle stroke.
I can go out to either bike right now and merely twist the key to left and they will not open unless I do it with that peculiar 'feel'.....Mystery to me.
I realize this is rather 'far-fetched' but, it is so, and in your case I would hope it to work too.....
Good Luck.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

ComicDom1

Post by ComicDom1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:45 pm

Once you got it open did you ever attempt to lubricate the lock or cable to see if that was the issue? The reason I ask is because if you are running low on fuel this can become a real issue. That is why I wish to fix it at this point. I am not crazy about pulling the radiator out. I do have a hard copy of the official shop manual and I am very surprised it does not have a section that is dedicated to removing and replacing the seat release cable.

Jason

NADman

Post by NADman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:07 pm

My 2010 was stolen last summer. It was recovered and written off a week or so later. I took a bunch of pic's at the insurance yard but not of that particular spot. The Dummy thieves removed the ign. switch and hot wired an ordinary on-off switch. Now they can start and operate everything-lights-signals etc. BUT they did not realize that you need to lift the seat to fuel it so they ran it dry and dumped in a parking lot. They had removed the front cover (over the rad) but failed to see the seat release cable just hanging there. I pulled it with my fingers and the seat popped. I'm sure you don't have to remove the rad-I found enough room there to work and after 18,000K no sign of rust or binding. You will find the cable at the back-bottom of the ign switch. Pull it ??? and give the seat a bump or slap.
The wrong lube in cables and other thing just attracts dust and crap.
Good luck.

ComicDom1

Post by ComicDom1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:56 pm

NADman wrote:My 2010 was stolen last summer. It was recovered and written off a week or so later. I took a bunch of pic's at the insurance yard but not of that particular spot. The Dummy thieves removed the ign. switch and hot wired an ordinary on-off switch. Now they can start and operate everything-lights-signals etc. BUT they did not realize that you need to lift the seat to fuel it so they ran it dry and dumped in a parking lot. They had removed the front cover (over the rad) but failed to see the seat release cable just hanging there. I pulled it with my fingers and the seat popped. I'm sure you don't have to remove the rad-I found enough room there to work and after 18,000K no sign of rust or binding. You will find the cable at the back-bottom of the ign switch. Pull it ??? and give the seat a bump or slap.
The wrong lube in cables and other thing just attracts dust and crap.
Good luck.
I really appreciate the advice. Sorry to hear that your Scooter was stolen. I hope the guys that ripped you off get what is coming to them. I hear what you are saying about the wrong lube. I will just install the new cable I purchased and hope that resolves the issue. This Scooter runs so well and is in such good condition I almost wish I was not selling it. Oh well sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Keeping my wife happy is more important to me and her legs are only so long LOL! I have tried pushing on the back of the seat, slapping the seat, bouncing on the seat, and more. I have tried putting the front wheel in the locked position and jiggling the key. I have about 4 different sets of keys for it so the only other option I see that I have is to replace the cable once I get the seat to pop open again.

I am still open to ideas. I was thinking about taking a blow drying to the rear of the seat and attempting to heat up the lock and seeing if that would expand it or the cable. What do you think about that?

Jason

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 pm

If you look at my emergency seat opener in mechanical questions and discussions I just posted you cant really get to the lock mechanism with the seat trunk/engine cover on. But I did noticed the trigger to open the seat barely moves when it disengages.
You need to remove the front cover which is held on by the two large Phillips under the handlebars and unscrew the end off the seat cable from the ignition. It will just need a little pull to open the seat I'm assuming. You can even cut the cable if you want since you have a replacement. It runs up the left side of the scooter when your sitting on it. You'll get it.
Once the seat is open maybe just lube the mechanical lock mechanism.

ComicDom1

Post by ComicDom1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:09 pm

OK You can call me Stupid! I finally got the seat opened and then........ I closed it! LOL! After finally getting it open and struggling with it, I started to think about all the advice I had been given. So I started pressing down on the middle of the back seat where I noticed the lock was located. I put my hand there and pressed down hard while turning the key and Voila I somehow got the seat to unlock again. So I quickly got some very good lubricant and sprayed the lock mechanism, crossed my fingers and closed the seat again. Then I attempted to get the seat to open several times and failed. I figured I screwed the pooch and would have to go back to my original plan and replace the seat cable release. That was not the case. I was just doing something wrong.

Here is what I was doing wrong.

The guy I had gotten the Honda Scooter from had told me I had to push the key in and turn it to release the seat.

That information was very very wrong!

The correct information is to just Turn the key to the unlock position for the seat!. You do not push the key in when doing this. It works every time.

The only time you need to push the key in and turn it is when you are locking the fork of the Scooter.

So call me Stupid. This is why I was having all my difficulty and there was nothing wrong at all with the Scooter or the Seat Lock Cable.

I would like to thank everyone for all their help and advice. I hope this is made into a sticky.

The Scooter is ready to go to its next home where I hope it is as well cared for as it has been previously.

Jason
Last edited by ComicDom1 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:19 pm

"All's well that ends well" William Shakespeare
Hopefully you can get your money back or credit on the new release cable.