Long live SH150i

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
breaknwind

Long live SH150i

Post by breaknwind » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:49 pm

I've been looking around for a 150 to modify.

My scooter supply sources don't have a BBK for Kymco scooters and Kymco has a shitty windscreen mounting system.

I sat on a Yamaha Smax and the handlebars hit my knees. Compared to the SH, the Smax felt like a toy.

The Vespa 150 is weak. I can install every mod available on a Vespa 150 and it still will have less power than a stock SH 8-) Vespa's are also a nightmare to work on.

The ADV150 is a nice bike. It's got a nice feel with a better suspension. It has a better style than the SH. Now the worst part. $5,700 OTD. At that price, having a rear drum brake is an insult. Plus, if your going to go fast, you need to have good brakes :roll: And they can shove that smart key up their ass sideways.

I am now in the market for a red SH. It has to have less than 5,000 miles and cost $1,500. If it was garage kept the rubber should hold up for another 10 years and about 20,000 miles.

lazyguy

Re: Long live SH150i

Post by lazyguy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:22 pm

good luck. with a little patience one might pop up. I saw a red one with 300 miles on it for $2000 and it went in a week. Look every day and don't be afraid to travel to get one

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:12 pm

I found a cream puff red SH last week. It was owned by an older woman and has less than 2,000 miles on it. I'm going to change the oil/coolant/brake fluid immediately. By the end of the year, I'll have the mods done. First I strip down the bike and replace the 12 year old grease and any bearings that are rusty. Next, I murder it(paint all the silver panels black) and add any non performance mods.
The tires and belt need to be replaced, then I'll break in the BBK/cam before I add the variator and exhaust.
I'll keep the forum posted but it's going to be at least 2 months before I can start to strip down the bike.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:31 am

Getting the bike ready for steering stem grease replacement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:32 pm

Fun story. I got my parts a few days ago. Opened the BBK and found this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:42 pm

Now comes the fun part. The supplier has to send pictures to Malossi. Now the supplier is unavailable till the 24th. Good thing I didn't pull the cylinder in anticipation, I can move the bike out of the way if I need to.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:08 am

Florida heat makes for a short work day. After 9 AM, the sweat takes over and it's hard to think when it's dripping off your face.
Yesterday I was able to strip the motor down to the crank and put the BBK piston on the connecting rod. The stock piston rings can be squeezed into the cylinder by hand, not so with the BBK rings. After stepping back and thinking overnight, I fingered it out. I cut an 1/8" thick piece of plastic 1" wide to use with a hose clamp. Voila, piston ring compressor. I had to carefully cut a bevel on the leading edge of the plastic strip so the rings wouldn't get stuck in the cylinder bevel.
After assembling the cylinder/piston/head/cam and lifters, I was going to adjust the lifters between wiping sweat off my face but didn't have a 9mm wrench handy. The lifters are both .001 out(intake .007 exhaust .011). I should be able to start the bike tomorrow and be ready to finish the windscreen the next day.
Hope I can line up the windshield. I was off about 3 deg. last time.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:09 am

This things a beast and I didn't install the cam.
I'm going to finish the windscreen before I post pictures. I'll be breaking it in at St. Augustine Fl. 150 miles in 30-35 MPH stop-n-go traffic. 150 miles in 35-40 MPH same. 200 miles in the 45 MPH traffic where I ride 50. After I do the break in service, a trip down A1A to Daytona :mrgreen:
Still need to replace the belt and decide if I want to change to lighter rollers and stronger contra spring or buy the Malossi kit.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:02 pm

I tried to install the CDI but the plugs don't match :roll:

Now that I have the bike apart, I thought I'd check the valve lash. After that I'm going to reassemble and continue to break in the motor. Who knows how long it takes to straiten this out.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:49 am

Rolling garage.