Stoppies are not good for one's self or their bike

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
BillShepard

Stoppies are not good for one's self or their bike

Post by BillShepard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:18 pm

My SH is now in the garage. On my way to work on Tuesday morning (7-14) I had to stop suddenly for a car that was crossing in front of me (I had the right of way). Sadly, I did a "stoppie" and flew over the handlebars. The bike got pretty scuffed up and so did I. Bruises, scuffs, and a cracked rib, and thank God for the helmet - it has a pretty nasty chip and I remember hearing a loud "clunk" as my head hit the pavement. The estimate for the repair is $1,626 (parts/labor/new helmet/GIVI top box). Insurance will cover this... but man, do I feel like an idiot. It could have been worse. BTW, since I didn't connect with the driver who pulled out in my path, it isn't considered an "accident" -

The dealer was able to locate the parts, but I'll be without the bike for at least 10 days. :cry:

Bill

Elvis

Re: Stoppies are not good for one's self or their bike

Post by Elvis » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Yikes!!!

Sorry to hear that, Bill, but I'm glad things weren't any worse!

Any advice on how to prevent going over the top for the rest of us? Less front brake force?

r4wd

Post by r4wd » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but happy to hear that you are ok and you sound like you can't wait to mount up and go again. Your description of what happened sounds like you were caught in a split second decision making situation and they sure can be difficult to call.

GizmoGal

Post by GizmoGal » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:46 pm

Hope you heal fast and feel much better and the bike is fixed fast and perfect. May it be your only accident forever. Curses to the cretin who cut you off. :D

BillShepard

Post by BillShepard » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks for all the good wishes. It means a lot to hear from fellow scooterists, and know that we all share the same vulnerability on the road and yet love riding more. My bruises and road rash are healing - turning that exciting greenish/yellow color only found in nature or on space aliens. Three days into it and the ribs are really starting to ache, but it could be a lot worse. I went back to where my skid mark is, and I see that the skid mark ends only about 10' from the intersection.

My lesson is this: while laying on the horn to get that guy's attention, I didn't brake evenly... that's the whole story. Use both hands.

Can't wait to get back to riding again. I trust my dealer and his shop. On Monday the adjuster will ck out the bike and give the OK to get the repairs started. I have 990 miles on it when the accident happened, gotta celebrate that first 1,000 - and a lot more.

Good riding to all of you. Remember: The laws of physics are a respecter of no one.

Bill

duderiffic
Admin

Post by duderiffic » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:23 am

Wow- that is rather surprising- I wasn't sure any scooters had good enough brakes to actually do that- I've tried panic braking on my Vespa (to get comfortable with how it reacts) and I never felt the back-end come up.

Glad you're okay!

kmathers

Post by kmathers » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:24 am

Great idea about practicing panic breaking! I am going to do that so I know what to expect now. I am also trying some things to increase visability. I just painted my grey helmet white. I read the statistic that there are 25% fewer of these type accidents with white helmets. I just ordered an orange helmet because I need a better one anyway. My jacket has bright orange sleeves. I also am goint to change my backpack to bright orange. Anyone have any ideas about cell phone drivers...those are the worst! I was hit on my bicycle bike by a woman talking on her cell. I was not hurt. I also have had even a few close calls just walking my dog in the city by drivers who seem like blind idots at the cross walks.

Any other ideas how to avoid this?