windshield

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
SilverBolt

windshield

Post by SilverBolt » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:26 am

Well, I did it. Primarily based on Pappy's review, I ordered a new GIVI windshield for my scooter a few minutes ago. I ordered the smaller 21" style from Competition Accessories. http://www.compacc.com/p/Givi-311A-313A ... -150i-2009
I hope I don't have to wait as long as some others here did. I'll keep you all posted on the progress in case someone else would be interested in one too.

strkngfang

Re: windshield

Post by strkngfang » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:28 am

Of thought about getting one too, in the future? Keep us posted on how well you like it.
Dan
2010 SH150i & Elite 110

SilverBolt

Post by SilverBolt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:21 pm

I got the windshield today and installed it this afternoon. The installation was easy and took about an hour but I'm fussy so it could be done quicker. It took about a week to get here. I ordered the smaller of the two that they sell and it's a very nice quality piece. Even the smaller one seems almost unusually tall compared to the wind shield on my Road King. Really glad I didn't order the taller one. I took it for a ride at speeds up to about 65mph. The wind coverage is great and I'm sure this will enable me to ride deeper into the winter. The first thing I noticed riding with it was how noisy (mechanical noise) the scooter sounds compared to without the windshield. The other thing was a very very slight occasional whistling sound from the wind. As Pappy said in his review around 65 it has very slight twitching or side to side oscillation of the handlebars. Not bad at all but not there before. It also seems to shave 5 to 10 mph off my top speed as well, as it took full throttle and a slight down hill to get it to 65. Never did reach 70 as it did before. All speeds 60 and below were smooth and wind free. Overall I'm very happy with the purchase and glad I got it for less then half of what Honda sells their windshield for. I included some pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SilverBolt

Post by SilverBolt » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Update: still loving the windshield but thinking of cutting it down a bit. I shortened the one on my Road King and love it. Has anyone done this to their GIVI?

SilverBolt

Post by SilverBolt » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Second update for those who may be considering he GIVI windshield. I still considering cutting it down to make it a few inches shorter so I can see over it but at least for the time being, I'm going to let it alone. I've ridden on buggy nights and in driving rain and find the bug coverage really good but during the rainy drive I didn't like the fact that I couldn't look over it like I can on my Harley's windshield. It makes for poor visibility with the rain drops collecting right in front of your face. With that being said I'm still loving the windshield and very glad I got it. It is a great value and a very well built product.

strkngfang

Post by strkngfang » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:31 am

no offense to yours but I like a smaller windshield, I guess I go more with looks than practicality. I just don't care for the big tall shields on smaller scoots, I think if they sloped more like the maxi scoots they might look better. Just my opinion. I do like yours a lot better than the cheesy expensive Honda one though. I guess I would have to actually ride with one to see the difference.
Dan
2010 SH150i & Elite 110

SilverBolt

Post by SilverBolt » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:09 pm

I agree with you Dan. I liked the stock look much better but this isn't about looks, I put this on for bug and rain coverage since I ride it a lot. It's also too tall for me as it is and it just may get cut down. If I decide to do that I'll post the pics of the results.

strkngfang

Post by strkngfang » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Please do, I'd love to see the results. I'd love to have one that goes about chin high so I could still see over it. I wear a full face helmet all year round so that keeps the bugs off me. I would still like a windshield but they are slim pickins for the SH.
Dan
2010 SH150i & Elite 110