Which disc lock or lock in general?

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
rockchic56

Which disc lock or lock in general?

Post by rockchic56 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:19 am

I already got a Kryptonite 1210 integrated chain/ lock from Amazon.com for my scooter and was looking at the Xena alarmed disc locks. Anyone have any thoughts on these? Also, what size of disc lock will fit the SH150i? I also see that there is a Grip-Loc device that seems to be popular. I want to be able to store any anti theft devices under the SH150i's seat, so compact size is a must. My scooter is currently stored in a locked garage when not in use. I am hoping to prevent my scooter from being stolen while out and about in town. I live in a pretty nice area, but I'm sure that isn't enough. Thanks in advance for any responses!

-Sara

strkngfang

Re: Which disc lock or lock in general?

Post by strkngfang » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:20 am

I use just a standard disc lock by TRUMAX. It wasn't very expensive and it has a coiled reminder cable that loops around your handlegrip. Xenons are expensive and the complaints I've heard is that if you can't get the disc lock off fast enough then the alarm will sound and it is ear piercing.
I agree with Pappy that if someone is determined enough they will get it but the odds are lower on scooters than sportbikes etc unless you make it really easy, like leaving it outside over night or keys in it etc.
Locks tend to be deterrents for the casual thief but the pros will find a way. I used to stress over it but I have full coverage insurance so I don't worry about it anymore. Scooters have such low re sale value that I don't think they are worth it to most thiefs. Usually its the punk who wants to vandalize or joy ride and dump it.
Dan
2010 SH150i & Elite 110

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:06 am

Up here in Canada I never see any motorcycles with any external locking devices. The only locks I see are on the little scooters, 49cc or less, that are usually chained to a parking meter or light standard on the curb. Maybe there is just no market for stolen bikes/parts up here.
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:46 am

Pappy wrote: I would bet you probably just have WAY less "low life" than in this Country in general sadly.
We certainly have our share of low life scum who steal. vandalize, bully, and deal. If I leave my garage door opened and unattended for any length of time in the summer, I can say goodbye to anything in there, especially bicycles.
There really isn't a market for stolen motorcycles and big scooters unless they were to strip them and sell the parts somewhere else. HD's are a dime a dozen. Nobody cares about them anymore, except their owners who think they have a bad-ass image by driving one. They do make nice touring bikes. Otherwise, anything Japanese puts them to shame performance and reliability wise.

I love my Silverwing. I can put it to any HD from a stoplight except a V-Rod or XR1200 Sportster.
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

rockchic56

Post by rockchic56 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:55 pm

OK guys . I decided to go with a red grip lock instead of a disc lock. I have to say that I love how easy it is to put on the throttle/brake. It's very user friendly and conveniently stores in the SH150i's underseat storage , leaving a lot of room for other items. It won't prevent your scooter from being lifted into a truck or van(that's what a chain is for) , but it does add another visible layer of security & could deter some from messing with your scooter.