Winterizing Your SH150i

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
ThatScooterGuy

Re: Winterizing Your SH150i

Post by ThatScooterGuy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:24 pm

bigbird wrote:
I'll say it again.
A trickle charger is NOT a battery maintainer, but a battery maintainer is a trickle charger.
Actually, you insisted that they were different things, leaving no room for my clarification that there was overlap.

Zoloft. Find it.

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:29 pm

ThatScooterGuy wrote: Zoloft. Find it.

Sure, insult me.
That's what a small person does when they don't get their way.
I won't strike back because I'm a bigger person than your are.
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

ThatScooterGuy

Post by ThatScooterGuy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:42 pm

My issue is with your posts subsequent to me providing a direct link from Deltran where they refer to their product as a trickle charger.

Seriously, that was when a well balanced person would have said "well... I guess I was wrong" or "I didn't exactly say what I meant" or something. Not you. It was alot of don't question my opinions with your facts!

Hell, you even struck out at my polite initial post with a smarmy "friend" comment. That's the sign of a bigger person?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here. You don't have a history of getting along well with people on internet forums, do you?

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:45 am

ThatScooterGuy wrote: Seriously, that was when a well balanced person would have said "well... I guess I was wrong" or "I didn't exactly say what I meant" or something.
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here. You don't have a history of getting along well with people on internet forums, do you?
Sure, now play psychiatrist and diagnose me as "unbalanced".
Prescribe Zoloft.

Don't you have anything better to do, like put your battery on a maintainer, not trickle charger, for the winter?
Winnipeg Canada

ThatScooterGuy

Post by ThatScooterGuy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:01 am

I really can't figure out what made you go off your cracker like this. My original post was polite and factual.

With complete sincerity, I hope you have a good day. Maybe it will give you the chance to cheer up and reflect on your comments. I'm sure you're easier to get along with in person.

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:35 am

ThatScooterGuy wrote: With complete sincerity, I hope you have a good day.
Now that's better.
You, as well.
Winnipeg Canada

scootzilla

Post by scootzilla » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:18 pm

ANYHOW...... :roll:

How cold does it have to get before any of you decide to "park" your scooter for the winter?

It never drops below 55 over here so we get to ride year around.
Sit back and relax

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:22 pm

For me it's not the cold, but the street conditions. As soon as there is permanent ice/snow on the street for the winter, then it's put away. I have ridden down into the low teens F with little discomfort on my Silverwing. I wouldn't want to do that on the SH150i. Of course, the right clothing for cold weather is imperative.
Winnipeg Canada

pagemaker

Post by pagemaker » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:04 am

Amen Bigbird
I've ridden my 150 as low as about 23F, and with the right clothing, it can be exhilarating.

Now, with the Quebec snow tire law in effect (Dec 15-Mar15) real winter riding would be illegal and ticketable, but back in my early twenties I recall one diehard scooterist daily fishtailing his way through downtown Montreal's back allies on an old faded blue Lambretta.

Those were the days when men were men... and scooterists were larger than life!

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:56 pm

These men can still be found but you have to go Holland to find them :lol:

Tonight its going to be -8C(17 F) with wind force 7 chill factor it equals approx -16C or 3F , and i'm still driving like i have been doing for years, the scooter is my only transportation besides a bicycle.
The forecast says dropping to lower temps next week and more snow is coming ....

So no winterizing for me, i found the SH doesn't start as happy as in autumn, it really takes a few seconds cranking before it starts and the first minutes its vibrating so the topbox makes quite a noise.
The tires are performing quite well ,the front tire that is has an amazing amount of grip(really!), the rear tire however is performing not so well, i went to work yesterday, did 16 Km's in snow and ice with no problem, i drove up the driveway at work and slipped the rear and dropped the bike :evil: , nothing serious i was almost standing still so no damage :P

A few weeks ago i gave it a "winter tune up" , fresh radiator fluid,fresh oil,washed it ,waxed it,silicone spray on it and that will have to do.

Unfortunately this kind of weather doesnt encourage me to go to my workshop ( 15 Km's from home) to work on the bike despite still having the wobble problem and wanting to do some mod's.
One of the mod's would be a cigarette lighter socket in the glove box so i can easily hook it up to a battery charger, trickle or maintainer :twisted: :lol:
Fuel additives are not necessary, dutch fuel is winter-proof, or do these fuel additives serve another purpose? (storage?)

The old Derbi GP1 however is standing still an probably will not be used all winter so i drained it and filled with Aspen Alkylate fuel, its a "green" fuel sold for lawnmowers and chainsaws and can be kept up to 5 years in the bike/motor without negative effects and is more friendly for rubber fuel hoses, floattips and rubber inlet manifold.
Its double the price but i am sure next year it will start without any hickups and having to clean the carb and fuelpump
Its not refined from crude oil but made entirely from chemical components.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.