Winterizing Your SH150i

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
bigbird
Staff

Re: Winterizing Your SH150i

Post by bigbird » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:19 pm

robber57 wrote: So no winterizing for me, i found the SH doesn't start as happy as in autumn, it really takes a few seconds cranking before it starts and the first minutes its vibrating so the topbox makes quite a noise.
What weight of oil are you using in the crankcase for the winter? I hope it's a 5W-30 or 40. I know that Europe has very different synthetic oils available, I don't think you have Shell synthetic Rotella T6 5W-40 over there, do you?
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:04 am

My scooter is hibernating until at least the end of March. Oh to be in San Diego for the winter.
Enjoy every ride, Mike.
Winnipeg Canada

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:33 pm

bigbird wrote:
What weight of oil are you using in the crankcase for the winter? I hope it's a 5W-30 or 40. I know that Europe has very different synthetic oils available, I don't think you have Shell synthetic Rotella T6 5W-40 over there, do you?

No, i am using Valvoline 10W40 and it is not a fully synthetic, its a synthetic blend with mineral, i must admit; it is at the edge of usability and if these temperatures continue i think i will change the oil for something a bit more liquid.
It is probably not the best which money can buy but i have good experience with this oil in Honda GX engines which i service at work, it's not priced like its liquid gold and i can buy it everywhere.

Rotella is only sold in industry and it's a "diesel" motor oil and heavily doped , i learned at school in my early years that a "diesel motor oil" should never be used in a petrol engine but apparently this has changed over the years and it seems the latest type motor oils can be used for diesel and petrol engines if the engine has a very recent design and i wonder if the SH can be categorized as a "recent design", especially if you look at the camshaft and drive train.....

The consumer name for shell motoroil in Holland is Helix and they have a whole range of products but usually shell products are only sold at gas stations and these are terribly expensive and mostly come in 1 liter container which is even more expensive, think about 25 euro for 1 liter....
Its a pity because i always have good faith in Shell quality.

I am still trying to find a decent oil for the SH that doesnt have the "energy conserving" label which are usually xxW30 oils and these are sold in holland almost everywhere :(
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm

The SH150 with it's OHC high rpm design can definitely be classified as a modern engine. These high rpm engines with either SOHC or DOHC valve train require more lubrication goodies like ZDDP or phosphorous for proper valve train protection. That's why heavy duty engine oils (diesel oils) are often used with great results in modern motorcycle engines. Add in the fact that they are JASO rated with no moly to affect the operation of wet clutches and you can see why they are so popular.
So, try a thinner JASO rated engine oil and see if your SH150 starts easier and runs better in the Dutch winter weather.
Winnipeg Canada

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:47 am

I agree but here's the controversy: latest generation diesel-motor oils have less and less so called "saps" (low sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulphur) and that is exactly what can give problems on the cam drive train.

Also i would not describe the SH as a high rpm engine, yes it does 8500 rpm which may seem a lot compared to a car but for a 150 cc engine at a bore:stroke ratio @1:1 it's no so high, multiply by 4 you get a 600 cc 4 cylinder, these will do easily 11000 rpm.

Dont get me wrong: i am not trying to go in to an argument for the sake of it, i am just trying to find out what's best.(or better)

I have been reading up on this to refresh my knowledge since i have been driving the last years mostly 2 strokes and did not need to worry on this problem.
Most motor oils special formulated for motorcycles are predominately API SF, SG or SH rated because of the "low saps" problem of the newer generation oils which mandate low(er) saps.
What i read on the Rotella T6 site: "Shell Rotella® T6 is formulated with reduced levels of ash, phosphorous and sulfur to help maintain the efficiency of the latest vehicle-emissions technologies"
The SH owners manual also specifically warns not to use "energy saving" branded oils with an API-SH (or higher)rating.

So i am still confused and will try to read up more on the subject, Shell has an excellent customer service in Holland so maybe i can/will call them and listen to what they have to say about this difficult subject...

I found a Shell Helix oil which will comply to what Honda recommends, its Helix Ultra 5W40 full synth and there is a petrol and a diesel version, it is API-SM/CF rated so definitely a "latest technology" oil and very handy: the gas station 2 blocks away sells it but unfortunately only in 1 liter can at a whopping 22 euro, thats $29.....
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:22 pm

The energy saving oils have higher moly to cut friction. That's a no-no with a wet clutch. The SH150 and Silverwing 600 don't have wet clutches, but Burgman 650's do.
The energy saving oils also have less saps than do heavy duty engine oils.
Any engine with an 8500 rpm redline is to me a high rpm engine. Semantics aside, stick with what Honda recommends for oil if you won't go with the Shell Helix 5W-40 you described. That stuff sounds exactly like our Rotella T6 5W-40.
Have you tried the Shell distributor in your area for the Helix? Often they'll sell oil for a much better price than buying from the corner petrol station. If you complain to them about the price gouging for just 1 litre from the corner petrol station, they might give you a price break on a case.
Or, take a trip to Canada and stock up on Rotella T6. :idea:
It's only $4/L when you buy a 5L jug. :D
Winnipeg Canada