Honda Top Box hard to open fix

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
ElCerritoLarry

Honda Top Box hard to open fix

Post by ElCerritoLarry » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:55 pm

After being baffled by the OEM top box lock/latch, I've added a simple drawer pull to help with opening and closing.

see pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blowpipe

Re: Honda Top Box hard to open fix

Post by blowpipe » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:05 pm

Well, that's a first.

jex

Post by jex » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks for the tip. Did the mod and it works a treat. I used a black Knob though.
SH300i
Xr600

lazyguy

Post by lazyguy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:49 am

On the top lid, where the lip of the latch seats into there is a small strip of rubber. You can't see it but if you poke something in there you will feel it. Go ahead and pull it out and see how easy the latch works, that strip has to be in just right or the latch will be hard to operate.

twowheelou

Post by twowheelou » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 am

So, I would like to implement this fix. Except I can't seem to open the darn thing in the first place. Just bought a used SH150i, with the factory top box, the bike is pristine. I did take note that the seller was fumbling with it a bit to remove his items, but I overlooked it for the moment. Now I know I should have asked for a tutorial. What's happening is that I lift the release (with the key horizontal) and all the happens is the hook that locks it to the rack retracts ; it's not evident how to open the box. I'd love to know the secret....

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:40 am

I am not familiar with the OEM box, but reading Lazy-guys response, it sounds like you might have to press down on it really hard maybe and search out that piece of rubber he speaks about.....Good Luck.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

aaron

Post by aaron » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:23 pm

Interesting. My top box latch is different than the pics here. To that end, my information may not be specifically helpful, but the mechanisms appear similar. I'll post a pic of mine.

The key secures and releases the top case opening as well as the case's attachment to the back of the bike. There is one lever for each function. In my attached pic, a beautiful green arrow points to the plate/handle that opens the top half of the case. From your description, you appear to be attempting to open the topcase by releasing the entire case attachment lever. That is incorrect, as illustrated in my best Rembrandtian red no-no circle.

Hope this helps decipher the mystery!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2009 Yamaha C3 (2010 cannonballer and current daily rider), 2010 Honda SH150i (dream bike and prize possession), 2016 Yamaha Zuma 125 (all purpose plaything)

twowheelou

Post by twowheelou » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:43 am

Thanks Aaron for posting this photo; that's the same as the one I have. I did succeed in opening it finally...I didn't realize where you had to lift it. It's kind of a funky mechanism.