Scooter wants to move forward at idle.

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
Elvis

Scooter wants to move forward at idle.

Post by Elvis » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:04 am

My SH150i just started an odd behavior. While at idle, it wants to move forward, like the clutch is slightly engaging.

Has anyone else experience this or know how to fix it?

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Scooter wants to move forward at idle.

Post by TommyXP » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:42 am

Would be very interesting to know what the mileage on the bike is too.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Tommy, it has 19,680 miles. I replaced the drive belt and clutch weights 500 miles ago.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:52 pm

I haven't any experience with this issue, and I hope others will chime-in.....

Thinking though: when you changed the belt did you take a close look at the pulley's and the 'grooves' that the belt makes?

I remember a small 'depth' tolerance in the Manual. Thinking: wear there would cause the clutch (engage) to spin faster @ the same RPM???
Just guessing and I will look further.......

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:18 pm

The engine is constantly turning so usually the belt does not move till the movable drive face moves out at a higher rpm. Maybe the drive face boss is out of specs and wont let the drive face slide back easily. Part 22105-KGG-910. That's my armchair detective view of things. I'm thinking the wear of the driven face and boss would keep it from returning fully to the idle position.

Let us know what you find.

"Inquiring minds want to know" the National Enquirer!

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:43 pm

I finally made some time today to perform surgery on my SH150i, hoping to diagnose the problem.

It turned out to be that a $1 part had failed; the "28mm Special Nut" that holds the clutch assembly under the clutch bell.
Honda Part Number: 90202-KGF-910

As soon as I took off the 19mm outer nut on the clutch bell, it sprang out at me, which isn't supposed to happen; it's supposed to be held in place by that 28mm Special Nut.

But the Special Nut had somehow gotten loose, so the big tension spring was pushing the loose nut against the clutch bell, causing the bike to want to move when the engine was on.

I don't know if Honda monitors this forum, but if they do, Honda engineers, please know that nut is a weak design. It does not have any anti-vibrational / locking mechanism, and it is too thin for what it does. Case in point, mine failed, and I've seen entries on other scooter forums with the same problem.

If Honda doesn't monitor this forum, it would be great if someone knew how to contact them with technical feedback like mine.

Anyway, I've ordered the part (the local dealer did not have it in stock), and it should arrive in about a week.

Until then I'm stuck driving a car. Yuk!

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:18 am

Good to hear that you resolved your problem and thanks for taking the time to share the info.
And I hope the part comes quickly so that you won't be 'caged' too long.

I 'had' to use the car last week to make a 30 mile trip to the feed-store and pick-up 1/8-ton of birdseed for my company/companions.
On the return journey, with the window down (balmy 30° sunny-day) a mile from 'home', out of shear boredom, I re-discovered the heater-control!
I had forgot they had those things...another 'luxury' I can do without. Why would one want to breathe that thick heavy air?

Being in a cage, the sensation is so very distinct to me → that I am sitting there (bored-stiff) 'still' and the 'world' is moving/passing by outside-of all these many 'windows' and under me. It is like a bad LSD trip (so I hear ;) ).
On the bike, the 'world' is sitting rock-still and I am free to carve beautiful, harmonious waves through-it, just by unconsciously manipulating that 'point'/sense of balance, that 'seems' to reside at the cross-road of Spirit and physical matter.....
It's highly addictive and on this 'plane'; always to be sought for!

JetPilot

Post by JetPilot » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:55 am

Honda Monitor a Scooter Forum ??

Hahahaha, that is funny ! They probably don't even monitor the Civic and Accord forums... I bet the people at Honda would not even know what an SH150i is.

Mike

JetPilot

Post by JetPilot » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:58 am

TommyXP wrote:
Being in a cage, the sensation is so very distinct to me → that I am sitting there (bored-stiff) 'still' and the 'world' is moving/passing by outside-of all these many 'windows' and under me. It is like a bad LSD trip (so I hear ;) ).
On the bike, the 'world' is sitting rock-still and I am free to carve beautiful, harmonious waves through-it, just by unconsciously manipulating that 'point'/sense of balance, that 'seems' to reside at the cross-road of Spirit and physical matter.....
It's highly addictive and on this 'plane'; always to be sought for!
You must live in a better place than I do, I drive a car 99.9 % of the time... The weather is great here, 80 degrees yesterday, which make it even worse !!! Because drivers are to bad here in Miami to even think about riding a motorcycle or scooter in the city. I just ride out of town when I need to get away from everything.

Mike

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:17 pm

How about a little locktite on the threads of the nut?