Top Speed - SH150i

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
robber57
Admin

Re: Top Speed - SH150i

Post by robber57 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:53 am

After this i saw your other post, ofcourse these troubles can also originate from a dragging brake :roll: , now i feel a bit stupid :lol:
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

JetPilot

Post by JetPilot » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:53 am

robber57 wrote:Hello to all new users!

i am Richard the admin and nowadays not often here as i am still recovering from a meeting with a Ford transit van on my (now totaled) SH, currently i am in the process of veeeery carefully riding 5 minute errants on my sh300, the 2006-150 will be replaced by another one.
But i have good days and this is one of them ;)
Hi Richard,

Were you hurt bad ?? How did the accident happen ? Its good to hear you are riding again. I would love to get my hands on a 2016 SH150i with ABS, but they will never have that in the USA...

Mike

Mike

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:27 am

I guess a picture says more then a thousant words:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I am not sure what exactly happened, it was december at 06:00 and dark and raining, all i know is my last thought "oh crap - thats gonna hurt" before i plowed head on into the van at about 70 kmh, the van was doing 50.
I got a broken nose,crack in the eye socket, both bones in my underarm snapped and a broken upper leg bon besides a whole bunch of other cracks and snapped little bones in my hand and feet.
Then 1 year of misery with all sorts of complications in which i almost died a few times due to infections and other nastys.

But i am getting slowly up on my feet again, so as it looks now i will be probably starting the re-integration in my work in one or two months.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

JetPilot

Post by JetPilot » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:00 am

Hi Robbie,

WOW, that is horrible, but most people would not live though an accident like that. It is good to see you are healing and will be able to ride again. So while you were very unlucky , you are very lucky also in a way. I used to ride motorcycles much to fast, and after seeing things like this, I have slowed down and ride less than before.

From what I can see from the pictures, you were in the wrong side of the road. Was there a turn, possible skid into the oncoming lane ? Dark and rain is a bad combination on a motorcycle, traction reduced by more than 1/2, visor fogging up, hard to see, and these things increase danger by a lot.

Mike

aaron

Post by aaron » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:23 am

Been a while since I've posted, and haven't really posted that frequently. Will try to plug in more frequently starting with this topic.

It requires pretty favorable set of (non-downhill) conditions for me to hit the rev limiter, but when I do reach the limiter, I'm showing 75-76mph. In normal conditions I'm typically at or above 70mph. I lost a good 5mph with the Honda windscreen, which was not a good design at all, in my opinion. It's far too tall, it creates a certain heft in steering characteristics, it reduces top speed, and rain (esp at night) really obscures vision through it and is downright dangerous. I'm in the process of a cutdown because the cartoonish size of the windscreen is actually a waste of the really fantastic integrated brackets.
2009 Yamaha C3 (2010 cannonballer and current daily rider), 2010 Honda SH150i (dream bike and prize possession), 2016 Yamaha Zuma 125 (all purpose plaything)

aaron

Post by aaron » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:40 am

Holy moly that was a terrible accident! I hope your recovery is in full swing.
2009 Yamaha C3 (2010 cannonballer and current daily rider), 2010 Honda SH150i (dream bike and prize possession), 2016 Yamaha Zuma 125 (all purpose plaything)

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:03 pm

aaron wrote: ....which was not a good design at all, in my opinion. It's far too tall, it creates a certain heft in steering characteristics, it reduces top speed, and rain (esp at night) really obscures vision through it and is downright dangerous. I'm in the process of a cutdown because the cartoonish size of the windscreen is actually a waste of the really fantastic integrated brackets.

After having easily 'trimmed' a couple, I am led to think that it is intentional on Honda's behalf and that EVERY windscreen, as a 'step' in the process of installation, should be trimmed to the individual riders best requirement and height when seated.
Personally, I discover that trimming-it to be able to see the road (over the top) ~30ft. in front of bike is the 'sweet-spot' for max visibility and for the eye's/goggles to still be beneath the slip-stream created by the shield.
It should go without-saying that nobody should expect or wish to peer through anything during rain, fog and especially at night IMHO.....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

aaron

Post by aaron » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:26 pm

TommyXP wrote:
After having easily 'trimmed' a couple, I am led to think that it is intentional on Honda's behalf and that EVERY windscreen, as a 'step' in the process of installation, should be trimmed to the individual riders best requirement and height when seated.
Tips/pitfalls? I was just planning to use my dremel with plastic cutters and various grade sanding and buffing bits. I used the windscreen brackets as guides to trace out the width that I want about 3/4 inch overhang on either side. Not exactly high tech but I'm very satisfied so far.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:08 pm

The first one I trimmed: I took a large piece (or tape together a few) of construction paper and traced the top of the windscreen onto it (I never did the sides). Cut paper at the contour "line" and you have a template. Sit on the bike a while and view through the windscreen ~30' ahead and mark screen. Align, tape and 'balance' (the screen will be narrower as you go down) the 'template' with the "mark" and cut ONLY with the proper tool (below).
I sanded with increasing grains of sandpapers and finished of with plastic polish....
On the second one I just marked the height and 'eye-balled' it using the top (~2" away) for reference, whacked it off and barely hit it with sandpaper.
Difference in appearance (to me): negligible and time 'spent' <5min.

Tool I believe best to use: reciprocating saw, with 'cordless' being the best, as that darn cord is a constant hindrance when focusing on following a fine-line. The cutting blade MUST be made for cutting plastic, which means it has NO KERF.....If you look at a regular saw-blade straight-on, you will see every alteranting tooth protruding to the left and right, which creates a lot of heat and the darn plastic will fuse itself back together behind your cut and even 'freeze' the saw in the middle of your screen (BIG problem!) and also leave a lot of molten plastic on the edges.
Looking straight on to plastic cutting blade, you will see a straight line; no KERF.
When you go to mark from template, first Tape-off the windscreen to mark on. Make sure the taped portion is 3-4 inches wide, so that the 'foot' of the saw when cutting 'rides' upon it and is not scratching your plastic with its base or the debris that will get under it....

I did the first one after removing it from its mounts.....The second one, with it mounted. IMHO far better to leave it mounted, with less chance of unintendedly scratching it or figuring out how to clamp it on a work table.....

Overall an easy and highly rewarding task.......Enjoy yourself!
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

aaron

Post by aaron » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:42 pm

Thanks for sharing those approaches. I assume you gained back some top end. All of it? Still feels stable at high speeds? Any screen vibrations or anything like that? I am going to plod ahead with the dremel and plastic cutting bits I bought. I'll report back in with my results.