Every car every time...

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
stonerolled

Every car every time...

Post by stonerolled » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:33 am

Great advice for riding your scooter till it wears out...

http://smokymountainrider.com/category/training/

"The motorcycle awareness we need is to deal with these situations as riders as effectively as possible. This is what happens – expect it and assume it will every time.
◾Ride as if that car IS going to pull out or turn in front of you. Be prepared to react to it. Every car, every time.
◾Constantly be aware of your position to surrounding traffic on the road and don’t ride in blind spots. Don’t assume that car next to you sees you – if he needs to swerve I’ll bet he’d rather hit you than a truck. Move out of the situation. When they crowd in on you get out of the situation as soon as possible.
◾Position yourself to be visible when stopped. Don’t sit right behind a car, move out to create a silhouette that stands out from behind. Keep the bike in gear and have an escape route ready in case you see that car running up on you too fast."

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Every car every time...

Post by TommyXP » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:12 am

Good advice.
A couple more thoughts from personal experience after psychologically 'profiling' the enemy:
1.) Install a head-light modulator. They really work. From what I have noticed, it gets their attention on some deeper level than their 'normal' (sub!) conscious level.
2.) When riding in populated area's with intersecting roads and driveways stay to the far 'outside' of the lane and avoid the curb side/center. Sheeple in a hurry normally only 'glance' and GO. If their vision see's half of a lane empty (no car or truck) they punch-it.
3.) In my 50+ years of riding, the latest and greatest 'Gift' to US is the almost universal usage of 'spoked' rims on practically all vehicles. When approaching a stopped or slowed vehicle We used to have to try to discern where the cage-pilots attention is directed and its rate of movement. Now we can notice their direction of diminished attention and just focus on a particular spoke which will give you real-time data milli-seconds ahead of the old method. Rather than trying to gauge the movement of a whole vehicle, the movement/rate of a 'spoke' tells you everything you need to know.
4.) ALWAYS wear your leather and gloves. Our bodies know if we have them on or not and there is a tendency/reluctance to extend an unprotected hand, forearm or shoulder into the grinding pavement and that is where the more serious injuries begin to occur. What could have been a slide turns into cartwheel because our little idiot in a T-shirt and flip-flops doesn't want to sacrifice some meat to the pavement gods.......
5.) Being fully cognizant of ALL the 'dangers' broadcast by the Mommy Society, do not wear a helmet unless it is extremely COLD. IMHO it either obstructs or diminishes those 'senses' that one needs most. It is like putting them in an isolation chamber. On the other hand, always do what you deem necessary for your own personal comfort and survival; just 'try' to compensate for what you relinquish, which can be best accomplished by staying at home....
(I am aware that this is a minority opinion against the 'democratic' and this Sovereign does not wish to argue.)
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

JetPilot

Post by JetPilot » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:28 am

Yes, headlight modulators are proven to work ! I do not have that, but I do have VERY Bright , LED headlights that also work incredibly well. It will not stop a person that does not look at all, but the " Looked and did not see " accident will probably not happen on my bike :D

Mike
Last edited by JetPilot on Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:20 am, edited 6 times in total.

JetPilot

Post by JetPilot » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:29 am

stonerolled wrote: Keep the bike in gear and have an escape route ready in case you see that car running up on you too fast."
I have that one down perfect !!! I always keep my scooter in gear when stopped :D

Mike

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:40 am

How about keep your awareness in gear and don't be lulled by the illusion of a temporary static environ?
Such as: if your behind a large vehicle or truck in the far inside lane with nobody behind you and there are business's and driveways next to you, people do/will come whipping around the vehicle in front of you, especially if traffic is finally approaching you from the rear.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

ScottWally

Post by ScottWally » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:22 pm

I ride like I'm invisible and the cagers are all drunk and texting...