SH150i Fuel Mileage and range :(

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
JetPilot

SH150i Fuel Mileage and range :(

Post by JetPilot » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:52 am

The fuel mileage on my 2010 SH150i is only 50 MPG :( It is totally stock, runs really well, 800 miles on it, tires filled to rated pressure, rider and gear weight of 195 pounds....

I did ride it pretty hard, WOT about 1/2 tank, and stop and go the other half, and yeah, accelerating pretty hard. But I was totally out of fuel after 100 miles ( confirmed Empty ) !!!! A range from full to empty of 100 miles just sucks big time. Is anyone else getting these poor results ?? Any ideas ???

Mike

TommyXP
Staff

Re: SH150i Fuel Mileage and range :(

Post by TommyXP » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:21 am

On two 'mostly' stock SH's I always get between 80 to 100 mpg and mostly towards the high end.
The furthest I HAD to go was 142 miles on a tank and still had a few fumes left in it.
I'd consider checking all the basics first, like timing, valve clearances and air filter.
If you had filled in "Location" in your member profile, I could have seen where you are from and possibly understood the climatic conditions you zoom around in.
50 mpg is totally unacceptable.
Is it possible that you are unknowingly dragging a piano behind you?
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

JetPilot

Post by JetPilot » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:06 am

Don't tell anyone !!! No one was supposed to know I was dragging a body behind that I was trying to dispose of, it just would not stay upright on the seat. Now you are going to get me in all sorts of trouble...

I am in Miami, sea Level, 80 degree day, and riding it like I stole it :D Full throttle quite a lot of the time at 63 MPH. But it was all flat ground and maximum pressure in the tires, so it should have been pretty efficient. It runs perfectly, although my top speeds is about 5 MPH lower than what most report. I wonder if there is a way to check or adjust the timing...

Mike

ScottWally

Post by ScottWally » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:19 pm

I ride mostly WOT in city conditions here in Denver - can't remember ever getting less than 75-80mpg on my bone stock SH with a tallish GIVI windscreen. Must be a problem with yours, but I can't think what would cause such a huge decrease in MPG. When was your last valve adjustment? I suppose that could affect it, but then your performance would stink too.

stonerolled

Post by stonerolled » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:39 am

Never less than 75mpg here with tall Honda windscreen in mixed driving.
so 1.8 gallons should go 140 miles. I fill up at 100 miles usually.

JetPilot

Post by JetPilot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:12 am

The scooter is stock, with just 800 miles now. I just rode 100 miles and the gauge was indicating the very bottom of the red, end of reserve when I got home, I was expecting it to run out of gas any second :( The scooter runs smooth, starts perfectly, Top speed is around 63 wide open throttle, max tire pressure, and zero wind, level ground. So low mileage and low power, any ideas ???

Mike

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:12 am

Wish I knew more about the most complex system that makes the bike GO. Times like this one wishes that something was just flat out 'broke', to make it easier to find.
This is one of the 'luxuries' of my having 2 SH's, where I could start swapping out things before jumping into major parts purchases. Haven't had to do it yet but the option is there.
Thinking(?): The amount of fuel delivered is controlled by the ECM which detects the amount of air flow demanded when one cracks the throttle. So yours is possibly behaving like the throttle is always wide-open.
ECM?
Seems injector problems would likely go in the opposite direction constricting fuel flow normally(?)....
Fuel pump and delivery system is obviously working too well, so forget about that......
Times like this I wish I was a mechanic rather than a desk-jockey.
In this dumbfounded state-of-mind I would prayerfully start at the simplest thing and Hope that 'maybe' there is a poor contact being made on that 32-pin connector upon the ECM, and dis-and-re-connect it while washing it in contact cleaner????? Pathetic advice from a pathetic creature.......
The Factory Service Manual is of little help here in trouble-shooting fuel 'problems' so it appears that one may have to become more friendly with "Google" and possibly take advantage of someone else's plight.....

Have you scouted the Forum at this Forums mother-site?
http://www.urbanscootin.com/forum/
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:42 pm

I usually will go between 120-130 miles between fill ups. I also have a top trunk and keep a 750 ml fuel bottle in the trunk. It's no fun running out of gas. There are a lot of variations that can affect mpg. Wind and fast take offs are two of the culprits. Sometimes at a long light I'll turn my scooter off. I never done that with my motorcycle but seems natural on the scooter.

"So yours is possibly behaving like the throttle is always wide-open."

It's all in the wrist :lol:

luxroller

Post by luxroller » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:47 am

50 MPG is far too low and i cant believe this is just because "throttle is always wide-open"
I have been registering the last 70 (!) fill-ups and have an average now of 92,37 MPG (US)
I register the fill-ups on a website (spritmonitor.de) just like other 36 SH150 owners and the average mpg here is: 84,79 The worst among these is someone with an average of 56,82 and the best is doing an incredible 110 mpg :shock:
Still 50 mpg is far too low and there must be a reason for this, maybe your mecanic can help you :roll:
Toni

JetPilot

Post by JetPilot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:03 pm

luxroller wrote:Still 50 mpg is far too low and there must be a reason for this, maybe your mecanic can help you :roll:
Toni

Hi Toni,

I looked in the mirror this morning and asked my mechanic about this, but he had no clue either :D

I am pretty good at working on cars and bikes, but this one has me stumped, especially since it is running absolutely perfectly.

The only thing I can think of is to buy a new injector and try it, but I would have to ride it 100,000 miles for the savings in gas to pay for the new injector...

Mike