SH150i Fuel Mileage and range :(

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
TheLogo

Re: SH150i Fuel Mileage and range :(

Post by TheLogo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:05 pm

THANK GOODNESS!!! :D :D :D

Sorry about your bad luck but I had bad MPG forever on this bike also. Though not as bad as yours. I would listen to my amigos crow about how they were 300 lbs, driving up hills both ways and averaging 88.7 mpg.

Meanwhile, i never got over 65 mpg... and that was driving like a grandma.

WOT is how I drove mine for 25k miles. Almost all highway miles. I usually got high 50's to low 60's. I even borrowed a lady friends of mine and took it out hard and got the same mileage.

Finally happy to see someone who has the same curse as I do with this bike. Besides the MPG, love this bike.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:24 pm

First of all; i drive(used to drive) every day so winter and summer,snow,ice or whatever.

when my sh goes into these values i KNOW it is time to dismantle the brakes.

Just the tiniest amount of dragging will cause horrendous millieage and a bit lower topspeed.

So check your brakes and i mean really really really check them.
starting with the rear drum brake( i assume you have a drum), check that it is absolutely not dragging whatsoever(!), if it drags you either need to loosen the adjuster or if that doesnt solve it you need to take the brake apart.
Take the whole bunch apart and carefully inspect EVERYTHING, the rear (drum) segments and movement and lubricate where needed, especially the key-and-axle that moves the segments as this will start to rot and rust with even one drop of water.
for the disc you should disassemble the caliper and closely look at how smooth the hydraulic pistons go out and back in, there should be little resistance, if you need pliers to push the pistons back in it means there is corrosion between caliper and piston or corrosion BEHIND the rubber seal(in the seal cavity) which constricts the piston and so the brake pad will be dragging.
The cause of this corrosion behind the seal is usually old brake fluid which has accumulated moisture in it, the aluminium behind the seal starts getting white cristal like corrosion and this corrosion pushes against the seal causing the piston not to move freely, miles dont mean nothing-time also deteriorates brake fluid just by standing in the warm and dry garage.

Because the sh engine is tiny it also means that it is very susceptible to drag in whatever form it may come, just loosing a few percent already has a major influence on topspeed and mileage.
You only have 16 HP, loosing just 0,5 hp to dragging brakes makes a big difference.

if you dont know what i am talking about: get help, dont screw around with your brakes if you dont know what youre doing.

and then finally to make matters worse; there could be of course also some other problem with the engine :D
i get 57 mpg with the set like in my avatar+ my 60 kg son+me@120 kg+90 kg trailer+15 kg topcase+2x10 kg sidecases ( so a total of 600 lbs) doing 8 hours to paris over hills and mountains going wot @ 73 mph....

my son with the holiday gear:
rick and scooter vakantie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

seanstr26m

Post by seanstr26m » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:15 am

The belt should be checked to make sure it's the right size, also the rollers are the correct weight no flat spots. Dude you buy this new? If not did the old owner make changes?