Scooter transport on an RV

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
WanderingDan

Scooter transport on an RV

Post by WanderingDan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:26 pm

We are trying to create a way to take the SH150 scooter on our 30' Class C motor home. We bought a receiver mounted motorcycle carrier only to find out that our motor home might not support it.
We're now looking at bike trailers like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... stem/39162
Has anyone else dealt with this issue successfully?
"Greatness is not in where we stand, but in the direction we are moving.
We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but sail we must and not drift, nor lie at anchor."
Sir Oliver Wendall Holmes

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Scooter transport on an RV

Post by TommyXP » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:09 am

Un-qualified opinion: My sixth-sense is aroused by the idea of dragging a singular pivoting wheel around at highway speeds (maybe there is a 'damper' on it?). Visions of the centrifugal forces and a 'bump' at just the right angle sending it into a "high-speed wobble" and shearing itself, are the fruits of my nightmares after having 'kissed' the freeway after a two-millisecond 'wobble'.
Also recall a video of a small plane landing with one of those 'wheels' mounted in the front. He touched the front wheel down at too high a speed and it wobbled and sheared, sticking the nose into the runway.
Again; I do not 'know' and as most, usually ass-u-me the mfg'r has done extensive research and testing(?).

Wondering what the max "tongue-weight" is on your present hitch, and considering the cost of that 'unique' trailer, wonder what it would take in order to 'beef' it up?
To me, a hitch that can pull a 3,000lb. trailer would give you a tongue weight of at least 300lbs. @ the recommended 10-15% tongue-weight, and considering some of the things I've witnessed being towed now-a-daze, doesn't appear to be to far beyound the common norm........
Again, having no hands-on experience, I do not 'know' but am highly in favor of the simplicity of your first intention.

P.S....I moved your 'Topic' from "New Users" to "Scooter Chat" in the vain hope of capturing more eyes.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:48 pm

The tongue weight capacity on my Elantra Touring is 200 lbs so that would eliminate carrying my scooter around the back unless I had a little scoot trailer.

This looks promising.

http://motorcycletrailer.com/tib/

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:43 am

I notice that a Class II Reese hitch offers a tongue weight of 300lbs.
I am also curious IF the 'towing/pulling' factor (which isn't an issue here) isn't also somehow factored/vectored into the tongue-weight???

I have little experience with all the factors, but I know enough from experience to avoid and never follow or be next to anyone pulling any kind of trailer; especially boat.
'Tis a fact that trailers are the least and most poorly maintained item on the roadways.
With boats being the worst because of the constant immersion into and out of water resulting in bearing corrosion/failure, IF not properly maintained.
Wheels be flyin' everywhere.....

I still 'like' your initial idea and view trailers as an annoyance when 'camping' and a constant burden even when one is not using them.

smcser

Post by smcser » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:19 am

WanderingDan wrote:We are trying to create a way to take the SH150 scooter on our 30' Class C motor home. We bought a receiver mounted motorcycle carrier only to find out that our motor home might not support it.
We're now looking at bike trailers like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... stem/39162
Has anyone else dealt with this issue successfully?
I have a slide-in camper for my pickup and use http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle ... p/AMC-400/ with great luck. As long as you have a class III hitch you'll be fine. I also use http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessori ... 63146.html to keep it from moving.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:52 am

Good post, links and advice.

I would have just put the thing up there and 'seen' how I felt about it after reading all the "armchair" engineers and doing mine own homework.

You got me dreaming about your set-up......a slide on camper, your bike and destinations unknown.
I think 'it' moved!

stonerolled

Post by stonerolled » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:53 am

Not to change the subject but has anyone hauled the scooter in a class b rv with the twin bed option between the twin beds or in the Winnebago travato with the fold up bed option?