Air Filter - REALLY ???

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
JetPilot

Air Filter - REALLY ???

Post by JetPilot » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:55 am

I just looked at my air filter, and it is HUGE, with the giant plastic piece, and it looks like the filter part is built into it... Do you need to replace the entire thing to replace the filter ??? That looks like it would be crazy expensive. Is it hard to find these parts for the SH150i ???

Mike

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Air Filter - REALLY ???

Post by TommyXP » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:26 am

The filters are easy to come by and not that expensive, though I replaced both of mine with a K & M reusable filter......
The filters are available from many sources, for instance:
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html

Shop around.....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

JetPilot

Post by JetPilot » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks for the info ! I guess the filter does come attached to that big plastic piece then, I did not see any way to get it out or separate it from that long plastic plate....

Mike

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:59 am

I am not sure which brand, ik think malossi or polini , have a plastic insert in which you can wash only the filter spongue material, and i have seen once a plastic insert in which you change only the paper filter but the seperate paper filter was almost the same price as a complete original filter.
K&N or DNA have filters based on a cotton cloth which is washable but these are performance orientated and have a bigger flow and thus less fine filtration, it is known that these when freshly washed and oiled performe at there best but have a rather low filtration-so lots of dust gets through, only after several thousand miles the collecting dust on the filter improves the filtration up to the required level.
Besides that they are incredible delicate especialy when they are wet while washing them with water and soap, its like a wet paper towel, with a compressed air gun at even as low as 25 psi you will blow a hole in them ruining the filter just like brushing them with a brush.
The only way to clean it is to submerge in soapy water and let it sit for a while and then with a slow running gentle tap rinsing and drying with out ANY heat becose other wise the cotton will shrink just like your socks in the washmachine at 95 Celcius.

Prices of original filters are always stupendously high while production is a matter of a few bucks tops.
Producing plastic parts with volume(100 thousants-millions) can be done at almost the price of the raw material per pound and the same goes for the paper filter material, factorys always say that the price is high because of the research involved but i guess that after some decades of making the same paper filters there is not much more to research so just boils down to "high prices-because we can".
the alternative on the other hand is a non-original filter but unfortunatly these are in the case of the SH just bad quality, not only is the filtration level lower but the general overal quality is not up to par, some have warped plastics so it may leak in the housing and most have lower quality paper(with bigger holes)
you can use them but only in a not-so-dusty enviroment and you should replace the sooner making again the difference in price negliable although that may differ from country to country and local pricing.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

luxroller

Post by luxroller » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:34 am

A filter like this one is good enough and costs very little money and very easy to replacein five minutes:

Cheers,
Toni