Part 1: Honda windscreen trimming project complete (Pics!)

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
aaron

Part 1: Honda windscreen trimming project complete (Pics!)

Post by aaron » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi Everyone. I thought I would share the results of my windscreen trimming. A couple years ago I installed the optional Honda windscreen. It was huge and caused a number of problems including unwieldy handling and an unwelcome sail effect in crosswinds. My biggest complaint, though, was rain (especially at night). Rain in really any amount really obscured the field of vision. If it rained hard enough that closing my helmet visor was necessary, then it doubled the problem. As I decided the screen was no longer preferable on my bike, I decided to take a stab at modifying it to my taste before throwing in the towel and putting the factory screen back on. After all, the integrated brackets aren't exactly the simplest to remove, and they are actually quite good looking and high quality.

The plan unfolded in three parts. 1) Remove the screen and mask it off entirely. 2) Create the cutting template. 3) Use my Dremel tool with a plastic cutting bit and various grades of sanding and buffing.

The process and results are offered here as pics. (Thanks to TommyXP for pointing the way to software for file size reduction.) Overall, I am thrilled with the results. It looks fantastic. It's lighter, and is about half the surface area of the original. I gained back my 70+mph speed that was robbed from me by the sail. Not sure if I got it all back because my freeway run was in blustery wind and temps in the 50s. (I believe I'll see 75 again in warm, calm weather though.) Also, no more bonking my head against the screen when trying to get the bike off its stand while straddling it. The only drawback is that the screen height now puts wind right across my helmet visor. Not a problem around town, but you do need to hunker down or put in earplugs out on the freeway.

Maximum picture number necessitates two separate posts. Please enjoy both!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2009 Yamaha C3 (2010 cannonballer and current daily rider), 2010 Honda SH150i (dream bike and prize possession), 2016 Yamaha Zuma 125 (all purpose plaything)