SH300 rattling on acceleration

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
Frontliner

SH300 rattling on acceleration

Post by Frontliner » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:07 am

Hello to everybody from Germany,

for a few days I've been reading this forum to look up my problem with my SH300i (built 2014, around 7200 miles on it) but now I just registered to post a thread myself - maybe someone has a suggestion or advice :D

So i bought my SH300i (2014) with around 5500 miles and everything was fine. Now with 7200 miles on it, I can hear a "rattle / clacking" coming from the left side - especially when accelerating in curves. The sound is short, and it is not reproducable everytime. I think it's making that noise especially when the clutch is engaging (e. g. im rolling towards a traffic light, it turns green, and I accelerate: "rrrrrrrrrrrt").

I am quite good in mechanics and my guess is that it is somehow regarded to the variator / belt / clutch. It's definitely not coming from the engine itself and it has no impact on the normal driving. It's just the annoying noise.

Maybe someone has a advice for me what I can try to check / inspect?

Thanks,
Christian
Vehicles:
- Honda SH300i (2014)
- Honda Wave 130i (2014)

TommyXP
Staff

Re: SH300 rattling on acceleration

Post by TommyXP » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:03 am

Welcome to the Forum Christian.
With my limited experience, I would guess it wouldn't hurt to remove the left belt case and have a 'look' around, whilst cleaning things up a bit and getting familiar with the lay-out.
I always suggest that every SH owner obtain the "Factory Service Manual", as it is a huge help all along The Way.
I've blown a lot of dust out of the clutch housing in the past........
Good Luck and keep us informed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Frontliner

Post by Frontliner » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:49 am

Hey and thanks for the warm welcome!

I think this is my 7th or 8th scooter so I have quite a good experience in scooter tech 8-) 1000 km's ago, the rattling was there too and the Honda workshop replaced the belt / clutch / bell / torque driver on warranty. Now the rattling is back again. And of course, I have the workshop manual. :D

So, yesterday I removed the belt case cover and took a look at the belt, variator and clutch (I did not remove them though). I blew out a lot of dust from the clutch and bell with compressed air. I even started the engine and discovered that the belt is quite "nervous" and also rubbing a bit on the case. Then I put the cover back on and made a test drive.

Too bad, the rattling is still there :cry:
IMG_0146.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vehicles:
- Honda SH300i (2014)
- Honda Wave 130i (2014)

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:05 am

Wondering if the "rattling" could be the belt slapping the case???
Other 300 owners have wondered whether they had the correct belt size (they did) and showed photo's of case wear on this site.
I am hoping it is something inconsequential and merely an engineering 'quirk' that developed when jumping from '150' to '300' and not modifying something in the drive-train design (?).......
Good Luck if you nail it down....others are wondering too.

Frontliner

Post by Frontliner » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:19 am

I couldn't find any wear of the belt on the inner case. Just a lot of clutch dust inside the bell :D

I found some ideas on the internet (and a youtube video) where one turned the belt around so that is runs in the other direction. That has the effect of the belt not running so "nervous".

You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfoNzKrtENM (Belt normal installed -> rubbing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_bQYpyhg1Y (Belt installed backwards -> not rubbing)

I am not able to see a great difference on the videos though?

On other forums I found the suggestion to replace the rollers and the sliding shoes of the variator?
Vehicles:
- Honda SH300i (2014)
- Honda Wave 130i (2014)

boiski

Post by boiski » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:59 am

The videos you're talking about are of mine 2007 SH300.
Check my topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6307
With belt installed backwards the rubbing is less, BUT there is still rubbing in case. Brand new genuine variator installed (front + rear pulleys, rollers, sliders, clutch + bell, torque driver/converter and belt); another final drive gears/shafts installed ( + new bearings inside). I haven't found solution yet.
I suspect our bikes have constructive problem.
SH150i:Image SH300i:Image

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Rattles i have had so far:
If you dont replace the copper exhaustseal when dis/assambling the exhaust can develop a difficult to locate rattle which may sound like transmission noise.
The air filter box has on top a fixture out of plastic that can wear loose due to vibrations and start rattling.
The mid stand hinges havo no protection and need regular cleaning and grease, if you dont the hinges wear out and the stand rattles at a certain speed.
In the beltcase there is a small bearing, if it wears out you may hear a high pitch grinding when cornering.

And belt-slap, the proof that honda honda designed a vario trying to get transmission losses the lowest and therefore giving the belt absolutly the lowest resistance by keeping some play on the slack-side.
If you tighten a v-belt to the point that under high load it doesnt develop a "slack side" the transmission loss will go skyhigh just like wear and noise.
A v-belt has a "pull side" and a "slack side" , the pull side of the belt is where the tension is when your driving, with the sh the upper part of the belt as it rotates from driven rear vario to front drive vario.
Due to stretching of the belt under load tension the bottom side of the belt --->where no power is transfered<--- hangs loose and accumilates the slack produced by the top that stretches under the load, so with a vbelt under load you may expect to see one side of the belt in a nice straight line or curve and the other side of the belt will be hanging loose and if you suddenly increase or decrease power you will see it flapping on the load changes: when going from acceleration to decelleration you shift the slack side from the top of the drive to the bottom as the load changes from pulling with the engine to pushing the engine with the road.
On a variomatic this is complicated by a torque driver that has to respond to the demand of the front drive vario to keep the belt tension as constant as possible under all load conditions, if the torquedriver cant keep up with the demand of the drive vario the belt wil get some more slack.
This also means that looking at belt tension with a scooter on its midstand just revving it tells you little as there is no load at all and so the torque driver doesnt work well as it needs torque (load) to function.
With idling engine you may notice that both upper and lower part of the belt are slack, that is because the driven variator is at the end of its stroke and the belt is intentionally given an even lower tension to further reduce loss when idling

I would be more concerned if it did not slap/flap at all which is an indication of an over tightent belt.
If it gets excessive it may be caused by a irregular working torque driver, the guide rails and pins can wear out or run dry, cleaning and repack with one teaspoon of nlg3 grease which is really thick stuff, if you the grease is to thin it will run out of the chamber into the clutch, the same goes for overfilling ,if you put to much grease in it will fly out.
Also take look at the big plastic bush/collar and opposite on the big spring, this is a thrust bearing for the spring so the spring can rotate as it crimps-expands, the top surface should be spotless clean and smooth, you can wipe some silicone spray with a towel on the surfaces to improve friction so the spring can rotate smootly as it expands and contracts.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:51 am

Hey Robber57! Good to have you stop by let us know your still-in-the-game.
I hope you have fully recovered (as far as one can from that awful wreck) to a degree that you can still wring some satisfaction out of participating on this Plane(t)....
Wish you well.

boiski

Post by boiski » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:07 am

Great to see you again, robber57.

I don't have problem with the noise of slapping belt. My main concern is about the life of my belt. That slapping in case, is it possible to wear out the outside belt surface much faster?
SH150i:Image SH300i:Image

Frontliner

Post by Frontliner » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:02 am

Hello boiski and Robber and thanks for your replies.

My SH300 went to the workshop last week (it still has warranty). The mechanics did not find a thing so the rattling is still there.

Robber: I will note your explanation and inspect the things you wrote down. In the next days, I will open and deinstall the whole beltcase and see if I can find anything.

I don't think there is a problem with loose screws or anything since on the midstand there is no noise when accelerating or decelerating. The noise only occurs while driving with me sitting on the scooter ;-)

Btw, what is meant by a "v-belt" - is this the normal belt?

And the "small bearing" you describe - you mean the one in the beltcase cover?
Vehicles:
- Honda SH300i (2014)
- Honda Wave 130i (2014)