Unknown Oil Leak SH 125i

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
SH125i

Unknown Oil Leak SH 125i

Post by SH125i » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:18 am

Hi all,

I have recently bought an SH 125i and discovered a lot of oil residue around the sump bolt area going up the side towards the water pump, but not directly around the water pump.
I can see some oil coming from a bolt on the side of the engine (pics attached) but I haven't got a clue what it is for, I've had a look at diagrams and can't figure it out.

Wandered if anyone could give some advice? mileage is 14,500 miles and just performed an oil change last week (oil was leaking before this too).

Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Unknown Oil Leak SH 125i

Post by TommyXP » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:58 am

First question: Do you use a New O-ring on the oil-drain 'plug' each time you change the engines oil?

Note: Please try to keep pic file-size below 50k in order to save space upon the server. There are FREE applications available to "resize photo's" (and rotate!) readily available. Thanks.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

SH125i

Post by SH125i » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:50 am

TommyXP wrote:First question: Do you use a New O-ring on the oil-drain 'plug' each time you change the engines oil?

Note: Please try to keep pic file-size below 50k in order to save space upon the server. There are FREE applications available to "resize photo's" (and rotate!) readily available. Thanks.

Thanks for your reply Tommy,

I have re used the original one - however, I am going to do another oil change this weekend with some good fully synthetic this time, I just wanted to get the old oil out as the previous owner didn't give a donkeys about the bike by the looks of things.
However, the oil looks like its not leaking just from around the drain plug but somewhere higher up?

Sorry about the pics - will definitely do that next time.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:03 am

Start with the easy/simple things first and use a new O-ring and thoroughly clean up the whole area and don't over-torque the Plug. The o-rings are made for one-time-use and assume an 'attitude'.
P.S. I am particularity fond of Rotella T-6 (gallon) synthetic for its cost and especially the specs.

SH125i

Post by SH125i » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:41 am

TommyXP wrote:Start with the easy/simple things first and use a new O-ring and thoroughly clean up the whole area and don't over-torque the Plug. The o-rings are made for one-time-use and assume an 'attitude'.
P.S. I am particularity fond of Rotella T-6 (gallon) synthetic for its cost and especially the specs.
Will replace the O-ring this weekend and clean up the area and let you know how it goes!

We don't have Rotella here in the U.K. but I believe it is a Shell product?

Thanks for the advice.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:46 am

Yes, a Shell product. It is actually a 10w-40 but 'behaves' as a 5w in cold/start-up temps, from what I have come to understand.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:20 am

There is somewhere underneath the engine a small leakage hole for the waterpump seal, if it leaks either coolant or oil can come out of the hole, a sign that the seal has to be replaced.
You will probably not find it in this state, first take it to the carwash and clean the underside so you can see the hole, then clean thoroughly and inspect the hole every15-20 min driving to see if it is leaking.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

SH125i

Post by SH125i » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:10 am

I've changed the oil along with a new oil seal and cleaned up a bit - after a short ride it's leaking again, not as much but it looks like its coming from the bolt directly above the oil drain plug. - I will try to upload another picture today.
Thanks for your message - I read somewhere that the 2 holes which look like there are meant to be screws are exit holes for coolant/oil to come out when the water pump seal looks like it needs replacing, unless there is another one somewhere? Do you have pictures or other threads where this is explained?

Thanks for your help! much appreciated.

SH125i

Post by SH125i » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:41 am

O.K. so I've decided I'm probably going to change the water pump seals as the mileage is clocking up to 15k anyway so its probably time they got changed.

Does anybody know of a video of how to replace - I am competent but I just need the step by step process as I've never done one on a scooter.
I have seen in the service book that you require bearing removers and seal drivers but is there a way around it?

Regards,

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:36 am

I am not familiar with the procedure nor aware of video demonstrating its replacement either.
I found this using the "Search" function.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6053&p=12745&hilit ... eal#p12745
Good Luck, you can do it.

P.S. Do you know what type of oil the previous owner was using?