Brake Pad materials

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
313Matt

Brake Pad materials

Post by 313Matt » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:33 pm

I think I am going to replace my brake pads, even though they have plenty of pad left. The stock ones seem to have a harsh grinding noise that I don't care for. I looked around and you can get pads for the SH made from a variety of materials.

What is the stock material? I am guessing it's some kind of semi-metallic or sintered pad.

I can find organic pads. They are a bit cheaper, but may have more brake dust.

I found a "sintered copper alloy compound," along with other sintered types.

There is a ceramic brake pad available. This is tempting as I haven't used a ceramic pad before. Wikipedia says ceramic is very quiet because " the ceramic materials causes the braking sound to be elevated beyond that of human hearing." Tempting.

I also saw a kevlar carbon pad. Again this is tempting as I haven't used kevlar before, but I think it has to be 'warm' to work properly. Great for the track, but really back for my around-town trips.

What compound are you using?

Matt
Matt
2010 SH150i US model

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Brake Pad materials

Post by TommyXP » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:36 pm

Using just 'stock' and at >17,000 miles haven't needed to replace them yet. I am always reluctant and seldom cause myself to hit the brakes.....
Noticed some discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1640&p=4863&hilit=brake+pad#p4863
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

313Matt

Post by 313Matt » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:59 pm

I ordered the ceramics. Gotta try something new!
Matt
2010 SH150i US model

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:11 am

Let us know what you 'think' once you've had sufficient time to try them out.
I like trying new things too and its nice not having to always be "the-first-one-in-the-pool".
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:03 am

For scooter pads, i like the EBC SFA Organic type
I tried the Carbon version (on my XMax400), but not as much initial feel and strength, need to be hotter for improved braking...
Used to get through OE pads on the XMax250 real quick... the EBC SFA are better performing, cheaper and last a lot longer...

313Matt

Post by 313Matt » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:04 am

Went with the ceramics. Put them on this weekend. So far I like them. Feels about the same.

So the 'grinding' sound is gone. Was plenty of pad left, so not sure what it was. Probably some dirt or gravel got caught between the pad and the rotor as the bike was driven on gravel/dirt roads.

There is an interesting new sound though. It sounds like a quiet version of the old cards in the spokes thing we used to do when we were 11. Is that the drilled rotor holes going across the edge of the pad? Strange I didn't hear that with stock pads.
Matt
2010 SH150i US model