Considering a SH150i but worried about the brakes

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
sportclassic

Considering a SH150i but worried about the brakes

Post by sportclassic » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:02 am

Hi folks! :)

I've been riding motorbikes for the last 10 years (I just hit 30 yo!) and had 7 bikes. CB750, Bandit 1200, SV650, DL650, BMW F800ST, CBF1000, etc. All of those bikes were equipped with ABS brakes because I ride a lot in the city and consider my drivers here as crazy (yes, I live in Montreal). I can't say I used it very often because I ride defensively most of the time, but I'm happy I had it 2-3 times over that period of time.

I'm actually considering a scooter because I don't enjoy the mountains and widing roads like I used to. Now I have a Honda CBF1000 but I do pretty much only town rides and it's vastly overkill for this, top heavy, etc. So here comes the idea of the scooter. After a lot of researches, I think I could really enjoy an SH150i. I'm sold on the bike as far as it's a good engine, strong, light and frugal.

I know the 2010 SH150i has CBS brakes but is now offered with ABS brakes all over Europe and Asia.

Now, a man in my surroundings is selling a nice and mint SH150i with top case + givi windshield and 5,000 miles for 1800 $ CAD (1400 USD $). Its either this or a brand new Burgman 200 ABS, but it's like almost 6000$ OTD so... a lot more for ABS.

Anyway, my question is, how are the brakes on the 2010 SH150i? Am I taking a big risk if I buy this scooter ? Maybe it's just psychological but it seems crazy to me to buy a vehicle without ABS now that I had it all my life on 2 wheels.

Thank you for reading this!
Sportclassic from Montreal

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Considering a SH150i but worried about the brakes

Post by TommyXP » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:17 am

Dear Mr. SportClassic and welcome,
IMHO Grab that SH at that price pronto and Never look back.

It is not only the added weight and cost of the Burgman, but the teensy-tiny wheels that would be the deal killer for me at ⅓ the asking price.
The 16" tires on the SH are a BIG part of what makes the SH so highly desirable; unless of course you enjoy changing tires often or enjoy the vague, uncomfortable, exciting sensation of possible 'instability' in the higher speed ranges.

The brakes on the SH are more than adequate and being more than twice your age I am one of those old codgers that disdains ABS and go out of my way to avoid complicating the simple with (IMO) the unnecessary.
Pretty soon they will be offering ABS as a gimmick (too) on baby-carriages and once people get 'used' to them they will come to expect them on their food-processor and local roulette-wheel (probably already a feature!).

I too, consider 'my' drivers to be crazy (yes, I live in the U.S.) but also treat them as a foe, and IF you were to up-grade your 'game' to 100% defensive driving, ABS is no longer a factor to try to make up for our own personal laxity and short comings.

Considering all your past-rides, I would venture to bet that you will use the SH twice as much as you had used any of your past loves. It is just sooooo light, nimble and aggressive that it beckons you even when your sleeping!

At this point-in-time, the only risk I see you running is one of possible regret; for not hopping on this deal of a Life-time ASAP......The 2010 SH150i is the "Original" classic standard and what I have seen come after that, good as they may be, is a lesser horse of a different color.......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

313Matt

Post by 313Matt » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:56 am

SportClassic,

Welcome to SHcooter! I, like you, am coming from a BMW R850 R to the SH. Like you I seem to have mostly city commuting and short trips. The BMW is overkill. So I am week into my SH. So far it fits my needs much better. Light, easy to handle a slow speeds, and fun to lean over as well.

Tommy hit the nail on the head with the 16" wheels. I rode a Vespa back in the 80s and I seem to recall that the front brakes on the 10" tires were just about useless. The big 16" wheels on the SH really makes it sporty.

My thoughts on going from the beemer to the SH. (YMMV, these are my thoughts alone.)

1) Going from 73hp to 15hp is a big change. I rarely use more than 50% throttle on the beemer, while the SH has periods where it is at full throttle, and any time I am trying to get away from a car, I am at 75% or more. I am still getting used to the 15.

2) I really like a clutch and gears. Twist and go is ok, but that's the way scooters are these days. But this is strictly a personal preference, and I even prefer the super-notchy BMW transmission to twist and go.

3) Brakes. The BMW has crazy brakes. I have had times where I use (excessive?) speed to catch a light or traffic, or whatever. Sometimes I change my mind and play it safe. Twin 4-piston calipers on the BMW front brakes give a colossal amount of braking. On the other hand, I am slowing a 500 lb bike from 60 or 70 to zero. The SH really only exceeds 60 on the highway, and so far the brakes seem sufficient*. (And way better than my old Vespa.) The bike is already quite complex, and ABS would add more complexity.

4) Storage space. So the system (hard) bags volume amounts on the BMW suggest that it should have more useable space. This is not the case. Between the top case and holding a grocery bag between my legs, I carry more, larger items on the SH. I regularly do quick grocery trips on the SH. I did it once on the BMW, but getting groceries into the bags was a PITA!

5) Motor off handling. I have to turn my bikes 180 degrees to get them into the garage, and my driveway is 1 1/2 cars wide. This is a PITA with the beemer. The SH has a smaller turning radius, and is so much lighter, and the center of gravity feels like it is 2 feet lower. (I doubt it is, but it feels that way.) It's really easy with the SH.

In short, I find myself driving the SH all the time. It's to the point that a ride less than 20 miles I would just take the car and leave the beemer in the garage. I was thinking this morning that I have maybe 200 miles on the beemer this year, and just short of 100 miles on the SH in a week! This is why I have a beemer for sale...

I also would recommend the SH. $1400 is less than I paid, and mine was driven on dirt roads, so is a bit rusty/chipped in the undercarriage. That sounds like quite the deal.

-Matt

* I am planning on replacing the front pads. They work fine, but I don't like the sound. I have another thread on this.
Matt
2010 SH150i US model

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:21 am

313Matt wrote: 4) Storage space. So the system (hard) bags volume amounts on the BMW suggest that it should have more useable space. This is not the case. Between the top case and holding a grocery bag between my legs, I carry more, larger items on the SH. I regularly do quick grocery trips on the SH. I did it once on the BMW, but getting groceries into the bags was a PITA!
If you really want to relax and do your grocery shopping 'in-style', I recommend you consider the link below and I've found them cheaper elsewhere.....
I have been using/abusing them for ~5 years now and they are still in great shape.
They go on-and-off the bike in the length of time it takes you to activate the seat lock.
One strap ends up under the seat with one over. This prevents them from being 'borrowed'.
Each holds a full plastic shopping bag and I much prefer it, as it allows full leg room whilst riding home via the long way.
The zippers and stitching are still holding up really really well!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Acce ... s/10802875

sportclassic

Post by sportclassic » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:40 pm

Very very interesting point of views!

Most of the people I've been talking to didn't really think the lack of ABS would be problematic. Maybe I'm a little biaised because I'va always said "Never will I buy a bike without ABS". Well it's not a bike, it's a scooter :P

I went to Vietnam and Thailand last summer and most people there ride little Honda Cubs (up to 110cc) and those things are still sold brand new with .. front drum brakes. And the streets are way more crowded than in North America. The only difference is : people can drive and if they can't, they dont.

They guy sliced another 100$ on his price... DAMN student life. I may buy it and ask him to keep it during winter. I think i'll get a test drive.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:15 am

I predict that once your on the highway doing 45 - 65 mph, you'll realize it is more-so a bike than it is a scooter and actually the best of both worlds.

IMHO: Where you place yourself in 'your' lane; in 'your' particular flow of traffic; and in 'your' particular route to destination; and in 'your' particular PRACTICED state-of-mind of 100% 'natural' relaxed-awareness: all the brakes in the world could hardly improve upon 'your' safety and well-being. Own your surroundings and destiny as far as Lady-Luck and Fate afford.

I once said that I would never drive a car with a computer in it, so as not to complicate my limited abilities to handle all mine-own 'problems' using merely the tools in my head.........Bastards!

Either way, remain True to yourself and do what you think best according to your developed current-level of understanding and enjoy yourself along The Way of your own specific 'balanced' choosing.

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:04 pm

Its a 125 or 150...
Stay off the brakes and plan ahead...
Going back to a 125 is most rewarding.
;)

aaron

Post by aaron » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:02 am

I may have to go get that bike myself.
2009 Yamaha C3 (2010 cannonballer and current daily rider), 2010 Honda SH150i (dream bike and prize possession), 2016 Yamaha Zuma 125 (all purpose plaything)

KenrickV

Post by KenrickV » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:59 am

I had Honda Sh150i same model, I bought it brand new and just sold it for Sh300i, all I can say you will love it for city drive, I don't have any problem with it till the day I sold. Just change the oil and air filter on schedule.