How to charge an AGM battery.....

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
TommyXP
Staff

How to charge an AGM battery.....

Post by TommyXP » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:35 am

Having had replaced 3 batteries (2 SH's); once due to having left the heated-grips ON for a few days during a blizzard...and 2 as a result of a malfunctioning electronic time-delay-relay (returned 1st defective relay for FREE replacement :lol:... Each relay worked perfectly for ~3 months before 'shorting').

I installed the relay in order get 'between' the heated-grips wired directly to the battery (because of heavy current draw and has a separate control panel that must be remembered to turn OFF) and the ignition switch (thinking: no more ruined batteries for me!); and also to delay the headlight from blasting ON until ~10sec after starting.

The totally depleted batteries would not take any charge from either of 2 different chargers.
I attributed this 'quirk' to the unique nature of the battery and something we would all have to live with.

I was under the impression that an AGM totally drawn-down was ruined......
I recently found this article and possibly a remedy to my not being able to get any of the 3 AGM's to take a charge and necessitated a purchase new.

I haven't had the opportunity to try this yet; but it sounds extremely reasonable to me.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-100 ... m-battery/
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.