Low mileage (70 mpg)

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
313Matt

Low mileage (70 mpg)

Post by 313Matt » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:22 am

So the last fill-up I only got 70 US miles per US gallon. I am told this is low.

So I am going through it to find any problems. It has a new iridium plug, so that isn't it.

I checked the air filter and it seems clean. (I'll replace it anyway.) I found some oil in the intake behind the air filter. I had checked the oil, but that was before I got a shop manual. Reading the shop manual, the high mark is anything above the 'checked' area on the dipstick. It seemed a little full, so I drained some off via suction. I need to read the book if there is a PCV system and something might not be working properly there.

I checked tire pressures, and they were a touch low at 23 and 27. I weigh 185 lb in riding gear, so brought them up to 25/31. Still, I don't think that will change the mileage much.

I need to do the valve clearance check, but I don't think that will affect mileage.

Anything else I should check?

Matt
Matt
2010 SH150i US model

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Low mileage (70 mpg)

Post by TommyXP » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:40 am

I doubt the valve adjustment too. In ~30,000 miles between 2, I have made only 1 adjustment and that was only .001" to put one on the lower side of center and just to do the procedure......
I still think waiting for the light to go out before starting will greatly effect your results, maybe....
I assume your using 87 octane and maybe a different brand might help.
I am out of idea's for now.......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

313Matt

Post by 313Matt » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:12 am

TommyXP wrote:I assume your using 87 octane and maybe a different brand might help.
Yeah, 87. Does the owners manual call for something else?

I'll see if the shop manual says anything about it.

Matt
Matt
2010 SH150i US model

luxroller

Post by luxroller » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:53 am

Hi Matt,
I ride several bikes (triumph street triple and a ktm 690 duke) but only on the SH150 with wich i go to work every day i care much about the mpg :geek: and over the last 16000 us miles have an average of 93,7 mpg. :? and in summertime often over 100 mpg.
Naked :| i am 73 kg, i never accelerate full trottle and i never exeed speed limits, i nearly never really have to use the brakes and i take maximum care of maintenance. Checking valve clearance is very important but not for your mpg.
Probably not all the sh do the same mileage but it depends a lot af your right wrist,but if you want to be fast dont look at the mileage ;)
Cheers,
Toni