How cold will you ride?

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
313Matt

How cold will you ride?

Post by 313Matt » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:15 pm

I was riding today. 03 December 2016, but a warm day - 37F / 3C in my normal jacket.

I broke out the warm jacket (First Gear Kilimanjaro) earlier in the week, but that was more threat of snow flurries and rain than cold.
Matt
2010 SH150i US model

TommyXP
Staff

Re: How cold will you ride?

Post by TommyXP » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:54 pm

I managed to sneak in ~40 miles, slowly cruising the St. Clair River and back-roads, checking out the Christmas decorations that some people treat us with, on the way home.
Little wind (~40°F), with a heavy overcast that the light blue tinted-goggles make it appear like a sunny day and are especially good at night too.

Didn't see another 'rider' today and don't expect to; till Spring. If one takes the time to 'layer-up' and then dress-up, the temps have little bearing on a comfortable ride... Little things, like a "Buff" neck-scarf and a pair of 'liner' gloves inside the heavy winter-gloves, also help bring a lil' bit of Heaven down here to Earth.... Not to mention the Tucano Urbano Scud, knuckle-visors and heated grips..... Few people realize what a sissy is blowing by them 'on-such-a Winters-day'!

As long as there is no snow on the roads, I don't fore-see any way I can prevent myself from giving myself a treat on practically a daily basis. I've tried the SH a couple times in snow, BUT with the automatic transmission, I found it near impossible to keep it up straight. In the distant-past, I've ridden in snow; but without a 'clutch' (which my left hand kept kept searching for on my way down) there is little Hope of enjoying oneself IMO.

Over the past couple of years, I've done 20° on many occasions with minimum discomfort. When you slow down or come to a STOP, it feels like Summer-time! I find it amazing what one can make himself accustomed to. It gets easier all the Time.

Keep Riding, take care, and enjoy yourSelf!
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

seanstr26m

Post by seanstr26m » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:29 pm

I've done -20° Fahrenheit. It is layering. I just added hand wind guards. That should be helpful. I am thinking of adding something to the sides to keep the wind off the ferry too. They tend to get a bit colder than the rest.

NADman

Post by NADman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:19 am

After the warmest November EVER we having a bit of a blizzard today.
I won't even take my car out in this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks for sharing.....Last Winter 'here' was warm and I had little trouble getting around. I am expecting more of same for this Winter too, maybe....
It looks like the system that is lingering over you will arrive here Friday.
Those -10° future forecasts for Winnipeg make me glad I am 7°-of-latitude South of you and surrounded by all this 'warm' water.
Still, there is nothing preventing you from enjoying yourself; especially with such a 'view', which I am guessing, is 'looking' South(?).

NADman

Post by NADman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:04 pm

Dead south, (how did you guess?) from the 16th floor. I keep the place stocked with everything I could possibly need in all weather. Always lots to do and my GF lives 5 floors down.
The city is already saying it will cost between $1-6 mil. to clean up.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Would you believe that I was practicing remote-viewing? ...I was, but my lack of ability necessitated cheating.

In actuality; I had the image open in PhotoShop in order to reduce the initial file size from ~160k to the present ~35k (without effecting image quality) in order to save space on the server. We 'try' to keep images under 60k and I apologize if anyone is offended by my not asking permission, but I feel most would understand and many are without the simple capability or means to, anyhow.

Sooo, Since I am the least 'busy' person on Earth and it was raining out; and since, as yourself, I can easily withstand a 100 day siege and my girlfriend is also close at hand (in my imagination!); I wondered of ALL Wonders whether I could determine direction of view from the bounty of information 'at-hand', thinking it should be a 'snap' as I already had 2 of the 6 directions given to me (up - down) and if I could get one more, I'd have the rest.

I checked your wind-direction (NW) at the time (looking for 'drift') and with a greatly enlarged image I began wandering the neighborhood peeking in windows; I mean looking for 'drift'.
The houses seen through the railing, along with the car in the driveway, offered little clue except for the presence of snow below what should have been 'shaded' (NW wind?) of the 2 'stories' of stairs leading to the upper-level of the house directly in front and below you and the fine layer of snow atop the railing offered no indication either, almost like it was protected (?).
I searched the roofs and sides of the commercial buildings, and the tree trunks for moss, to no avail; when I noticed the 'unprotected' pine tree on left side. It had a slight left lean to it and I then assumed a Westerly prevailing Wind and that strange and exciting 'feeling' of being LOST (when the Sun or Stars are not available and you are in unfamiliar territory) abandoned and left me.......

I also could have just 'wished' you a Southerly exposure, as that would have been Best for you and your overall well-being, especially for One North of the famous 49th Parallel (I just watched a DVD movie titled "49th Parallel" last night, in which they propagandized and showed the German 'culture' in the most despicable and in Reality opposite 'light' (made in 1941 and the zio-holomedia were on the same 'mission' as today); but the B/W Canadian scenery and settings were spectacular).
The Southern exposure also affords the best opportunity to obtain what little Vit. D the Sun Gives by allowing 'some' UV-B rays to penetrate the increased atmosphere of the low horizon. Of course it would be best If you were naked outside the Glass (UV-B won't penetrate glass; UV-A will) at precisely 12:20pm (NOON by God's clock) for maximum benefit.
Plus, you are able to keep/tell the Time-of-Day and not have to look at that man-made circle of numbers that mainly benefits industry and hurries the herd to their artificially established 'rounds'...Chop, Chop!
If the below 'clock' didn't cost >5 grand, I'd be utilizing that when the Sun doesn't Grace me with its presence:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NADman

Post by NADman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm impressed by your tenacity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s8nRL2bPCU

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:20 am

LOL! Thanks for dredging that up from the wayward 'banks' of a dissipated youth.... A little shocking to realize that I know the words 'by-Heart' and the 'tune' has possibly been running in the background all this Time. Very funny!
Things have changed a bit though...Rather than smoking cigarettes, far more Time is spent stripping whole organic tobacco leafs (Virginia flue-cured, Burley, etc.) and coaxing them through a modified paper-shredder a few times and hand-rolling a small mountain to satisfy the Day... Pure and unadulterated Sacred Smoke.
The "deck-of-51" has morphed into 78 Tarot cards, Sacred Path cards, Medicine cards and the I-Ching.
And watching Captain Kangaroo; just as the Statler Brothers foresaw once a man begins to follow The Head that has a conscience; has blossomed into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EPlyiW-xGI

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your view of the Winter Wonderland that is about to reveal itself this coming Dawn.....

313Matt

Post by 313Matt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:16 am

28F and riding today!
Matt
2010 SH150i US model