Strange accident

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
Mikey

Strange accident

Post by Mikey » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:51 am

I haven't posted for a while. I got in my first accident on my scooter the end of September in Chicago. Since then I have moved to Las Vegas but that is another story. Well, went to visit a friend on a Sunday morning. It was a little cool out I remember. No problem driving there but on the way back I had to stop at a stop sign at an intersection. I almost always give it a lot of gas when I take off to pull ahead of the traffic. This time my rear tire broke loose from the torque, started sliding to the right to where I was almost going sideways. I tried to get control of the scooter and the rear tire must have snapped back and slammed me to the pavement on the left side of the bike. This was all within 10 feet of the stop sign. Scuffed up my left knee, bruised my ribs, broke the left mirror and scuffed up the fender and a little of the plastic around the mirror. I've had the scooter since 2011 and never laid it down. I drove some serious rush hour traffic in Chicago 100's of times. All I can think of was there was something supper slick on the pavement at the intersection like anti-freeze and the tire just went into a free spin. I just noticed last week the Michelin City Grip tires have a solid strip in the center. I never had a problem with them before but maybe it caused the tire to hydro foil on whatever was on the road even though it was only a super thin film since there is no channel to displace a liquid on that strip? I don't know. I was pretty sore for a while after that and it didn't help moving all my processions cross county. The mirror was like 12.00 to replace. Just wanted to post to warn people so they dont get caught unaware.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mikey

Re: Strange accident

Post by Mikey » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:55 am

Also Friday I rode my scooter to the bank. It was 67 degrees here. One of the reasons I moved. :roll:

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:58 am

I am glad it turned out the way it did and you were minimally damaged. Experiences as such, must and will happen as Nature hasn't any other way of teaching us it's basic laws of the Universe (even tire design) which we tend to overlook, become complacent, and push to the limits, and the overwhelming human tendency to look 'without' for answers and seldom ever look 'within'.
I'm not saying it was your fault or the tires fault; I'll never know. BUT I can stipulate that I am about to be on my 3rd set of City Grips and never experienced even a hint of what occurred to you; except when I tried to ride in Snow and realized the true-value of having a 'clutch' at your disposal.
This past summer I was surprised by a couple of drenching thunder-bursts (night) that necessitated numerous miles in torrential rains at highway speeds, and never once experienced that thrilling sensation of the beginning of a loss of traction, though I was anticipating a probable possibility....Just saying.
Your speculation is plausible and worthy of consideration, but then again, actions speak louder than words comes to mind.
I am glad you are well and I sincerely hope you didn't have too large of an audience, as some in-compasionate spectators might have found humour in your unintended, spectacular performance; at least not me, that is, until 'after' I verified your well-being, then the 'gloves-would-be-off'! Sorry, but sometimes I just can't help it.....Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Wondering if or what major differences you might noticed between your change of locales?
P.S.S. Just noticed your second post......16° here BUT clear sunny skies and the air is soooo pure and if I didn't have to shovel ~9 inches of snow in order to free the bike, I'd go to the bank too, and then some....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:06 am

I also have rode in the rain with the city grips with no problem. I think it was a combination of some slick film on the road surface from a dead stop, my lighter variable weights and after market exhaust system. And yes I picked up the bike and rode home. My greatest injury was my pride of course. I looked at it as Chicago giving me one more good kick in the ass for good measure before I left. Dont miss the red light cameras, road construction and city stickers. I'll write a little review of riding in Las Vegas when I get a chance.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:03 am

Ahhh hah! The 'tweeks' you've made to the bike show this in a whole different light. I have a hard time 'breaking-loose' on gravel!!! I thought I was 'cute' by getting ahead of the traffic at lights; you must be a blur.

I harbor no great love in my heart for Chicago; especially for it being the 'bed' and birthplace for much of the political turmoil (communism) and social degeneration (obama) in this Country (that IS being made Great again). 2nd only to j*w-York City or D.C. in its evil influence....I'm glad you escaped (after paying a relatively 'small' price) and I look forward to your comparative analysis.
Whenever I need a pick-me-up and a reminder of the unfortunate conditions in which others must 'try' to eek-out a peaceable existence in; I take a gander at this page:
http://heyjackass.com/

I am located ~35 miles North of it's relative mirror-city-in-degeneration and "Dindu Nuffin" violence (Detroit) but the topographical terrain and the building of the major highway systems away from this sparse area, continues to spare us from development and more especially from the 'diversity'/plague that resulted from forced segregation, Common Core and President Johnson's opening of the public coffers to the ignorant and unproductive lower strata of society (after he participated in the Murder of JFK), all for sake of the destruction of White Christian Culture and the values upon which it is based (IMHO) and upon which this Country was initially founded and whose disintegration is of utmost necessity to fulfilling The One World Order zionist dream.

I wish you well, in your new locale ♪♪♫,♪♪♪♫! Enjoy yourself.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.