How To Remove the Rear Wheel and Replace the Rear Tire

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
TommyXP
Staff

Re: How To Remove the Rear Wheel and Replace the Rear Tire

Post by TommyXP » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 am

Need only one special tool that I can think of to hold the shaft to get at the rollers.....To undo the nut to peek at the rear clutch mechanics, I used a 'pipe strap wrench' to effect.....Replacing the rollers has always had a huge effect on giddee-up from go......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:10 pm

I replaced my rollers a while back with a set of Dr. Pulley 10 gram sliders. Also replaced the exhaust with a Akrapovik Paid $275.00 for mine on Ebay since the packaging was damaged. You usually cant buy it for less then $500.00 now. It's a quick little puppy now.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:31 am

TommyXP wrote:Need only one special tool that I can think of to hold the shaft to get at the rollers.....To undo the nut to peek at the rear clutch mechanics, I used a 'pipe strap wrench' to effect.....Replacing the rollers has always had a huge effect on giddee-up from go......
I use the same tool to remove the clutch bell as the front pulley's. Just stick it in the slots and hold with your hand to keep the tool from popping out of the slots. Easy peasy :mrgreen:

stonerolled

Post by stonerolled » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:07 pm

Shame on me, just changed the final gear oil and air cleaner for the first time at 13,700 miles. Final oil was dark gray and the air cleaner was black. Also changed the engine oil at the usual 2500 miles but it was in there 2 years and was black. Next up at 15000 belt and rollers and fluid changes. Didn't have gear oil in the squeeze tip bottle so i cut up a plastic water bottle and made the pointiest funnel to direct that golden relief where it belonged. I didn't realize how hot that rear end gets, 15 hp but small gears equals heat.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:32 pm

The black oil, is one of the reasons I use synthetic oil.....Regular, organic oil, deteriorates even in an unopened bottle upon the shelf; let alone IF it should be left in some unfortunate crankcase for 'years'......I used to buy organic oil by the case 'on SALE' and 'stock-up'. No longer....I now only buy fresh when needed for the few things I still use organic in; such as lawnmower.......
When I change the synthetic, though it is dark coloured, it still has a nice golden tinge to it, kinda, sorta, around the edges in the light, or so I think.....
Just remembered: no synthetics for gear oil.. crankcase only.
If you haven't looked at or changed your rollers at least once by now: your in for a pleasant surprise when you finally do.......smoother more powerful acceleration IMHO.....

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:47 pm

I "splurge" and purchase synthetic oil for the SH since it is only 1 quart. You might want to replace the spark plug also. Funny, the SH150 uses the same size Spark plug as my Honda 96 ST1100 I sold so I have 4 extra new plugs to use since it was a 4 cylinder.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:56 pm

I slightly 'splurged' on the spark plug too...NGK (3797) CR8EHIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug.....
Supposedly longest lasting(?) and gets great reviews.................
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R ... UTF8&psc=1

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:19 am

I use Honda HP4M because it doesn't have friction additives for the wet clutch bikes. I change the oil every 2,000 miles because it's easier to remember.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:03 am

The service manual says the standard drive belt width is 22.5 mm and the service limit is 21.5 mm. So actually you don't necessarily have to replace it at 15,000 miles. But if your all the way in there you might as well.

I purchased a manual 6 inch utility caliper to measure it from Harbor Freight for $1.99.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:17 am

Personally, I'd religiously stick to the 15,000 replacement factory suggested requirement.
They have a lot of experience on their side and what do I know about invisible internal stresses and strains that could result in an untimely and costly failure?
Thinking: the belt width measurement tells you more about the 'set' and condition of your pulleys then the internal integrity of the belt? I believe it IS important but not as important as adhering to the no questions asked 15,000 mile preventative replacement and I have an old belt in 'seemingly' perfect condition to prove it.