Akrapovic exhaust swap (pics!)

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
aaron

Re: Akrapovic exhaust swap (pics!)

Post by aaron » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:14 pm

In a previous post in this thread, I griped that the kickstand now clanks against the swingarm at the slightest jolt. That, as it turns out, was a mistake on my part, not a flaw in the Akrapovic bracket geometry. Let me elaborate...

Two Wednesdays ago when I was heading home from work across the Bay Bridge, something banged/clunked the underside of the bike as I was gazing upon the marvel of the emerging Salesforce tower. I snapped my attention to the rearview and didn't see what I might have hit. I figured it was a plastic bottle that skittered into another lane before I could have spotted it.

The following Monday (Monday last week) I rode the Sh to work again. I immediately noticed a sort of hollow rattling coming from the bellypan of the bike over rough pavement. (My attention at this point is focused completely away from the kickstand clanking.) I'm like, shit, either whatever I hit on the bridge somehow bounced up into the bellypan, or I am looking at some busted thing or another to deal with. When I leave work at the end of the day, more of the same thud/bang noise. Then, mysteriously, as I get off the bridge onto SF city streets, the noise is gone. I also notice for the first time that the kickstand clanking is gone. (I say "first time," as it occurred to me that I hadn't heard the clanking while my attention was on the new banging noise.)

Two days later, riding the Sh to work again, I considered the various events and a picture suddenly became clear, like Keyser Soze to Agent Kujan. The "running over something," and "not seeing it in my rearview," and "bellypan noise," and "bellypan noise instantly disappearing," and also now "completely clank free" are not coincidental. They are associated with what I believe is one common cause: this surgeon sewed up the patient with an implement still inside. My best guess is that a socket popped free of the ratchet extension and somehow sat against the header after tightening the header nuts (perhaps between the header and the head itself), and just rattled against the steel header as you would expect it would at the slightest provocation. Then as I was crossing the bridge, marveling at the new skyscraper in SF, it plopped out and bounced around into the bellypan, and then, as you would expect, simply fell out of the bellypan.

I already had a couple sockets missing (either replaced with newer, better bits, or just missing outright from my socket case), but I'm pretty certain that I have a new gap in my set. If I identify a more plausible answer, I will report back. Regardless, the Akrapovic bracket geometry is not a problem at all. The bike sounds exactly how it should now again, and the blame for the clanking was mine.
2009 Yamaha C3 (2010 cannonballer and current daily rider), 2010 Honda SH150i (dream bike and prize possession), 2016 Yamaha Zuma 125 (all purpose plaything)

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:33 am

A plausible, thoroughly imagined scenario (relayed in beautiful vista's) whilst juggling possibilities and I hope you are correct; but I still detect a lingering scent of skepticism in my imaginative 'eye'. I puzzle and find it hard to attribute the different sonic indications to the perambulations of a shamefully/negligently lost small (#10?) socket as it wends way back towards mother Earth with the aid and under the influences of varying vectors of inertia in a gravitational field.
I do not wish to disturb the peace-of-mind you thoughtfully established for yourself, as again, it is possible and stranger things have happened, BUT, without any malicious intent I kinda hope that another speculative analysis is yet to reveal itself and more assuredly 'close-the-case' on this successful and satisfying up-grade.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:23 am

Doh!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aaron

Post by aaron » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:58 pm

TommyXP wrote: I puzzle and find it hard to attribute the different sonic indications to the perambulations of a shamefully/negligently lost small (#10?) socket as it wends way back towards mother Earth with the aid and under the influences of varying vectors of inertia in a gravitational field.
This is precisely why I have some lingering doubt about the socket theory. I am obsessive about finding the source of creaks, rattles, buzzing, and other annoyances. A socket or other small, wayward tool in the frame of a vintage Vespa, for example, can be an incredible din. But that example actually highlights a flaw in the logic of my socket theory. If a socket were sitting against the header, I would expect it to vibrate like hell while the engine merely runs. That said, I've seen stranger zombie noises. The socket theory is offered first primarily because the socket actually stuck on the nut and broke free of the extension once or twice while cinching the exhaust system into place.

A more random, but possibly more plausible explanation of the clanking and then bellypan noise, is that I left a small, aluminum flashlight on the frame beneath the service panel. It would have been blue, with little black dog paw designs on it. The longer I never see that flashlight again (or if someone finds one just like it out on the Bay Bridge and reports the same back here), the more convinced I will be that I need better permanent lighting to work by.
2009 Yamaha C3 (2010 cannonballer and current daily rider), 2010 Honda SH150i (dream bike and prize possession), 2016 Yamaha Zuma 125 (all purpose plaything)

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:51 am

In my Heart of Hearts I do not believe God gave us ears so we can find our tools, as you have seemingly developed a constant vigilance and penchant for.

I highly recommend a perusal of the old tome "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" or even any ol' Bible that might be laying around, so as to put ones most basic God-given soul at rest, so as not to be constantly harried by the multitudinous chorus of carnal 'thoughts' that prevent the development of better work-habits and even provides a mystical quality to the immediate task-at-hand through being constantly 'blessed' with effortless success in ALL our endeavors via help from 'above' or the vast untapped caverns that lie within as a result of our yet to be fully realized most Divine Nature. Not a lot to ask of oneself and better yet: Simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2WJ2r0NkM

More than adequate lighting is crucial for any task (even reading), and is well worth the initial effort to take the moments to provide before beginning ANY task and prevents 'fits' that the local EMS worker might have need to give you a tire to gnaw on.

May I suggest that you provide yourself with one of these at the very least, and if you should lose this we'll also know what else you lost and be most sympathetic, understanding and simple in our loving communiques.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

aaron

Post by aaron » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:34 pm

TommyXP wrote:I highly recommend a perusal of the old tome "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" or even any ol' Bible that might be laying around, so as to put ones most basic God-given soul at rest, so as not to be constantly harried by the multitudinous chorus of carnal 'thoughts' that prevent the development of better work-habits and even provides a mystical quality to the immediate task-at-hand through being constantly 'blessed' with effortless success in ALL our endeavors via help from 'above' or the vast untapped caverns that lie within as a result of our yet to be fully realized most Divine Nature. Not a lot to ask of oneself and better yet: Simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2WJ2r0NkM
Eureka! The fate of one who puts Zen down before finishing the final third. Had I only finished those pages before tackling this project! (Thank you for the LRB link. You haven't lived until you karaoked them. I will non-ironically share it across social media.)

hdsteal

Post by hdsteal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:57 pm

2) Prior to the swap, I was typically tracking around 74-75mpg. Today's first full Akrapovic tankup showed 87.6mpg. That's a 17% gain. I am admittedly a "finesse" rider, so your mpg gain may be different, negligible, or worse.

3) I have not yet had an open enough road to chase the rev limiter. However, two days ago I took a stab at a high speed. I blew straight through 70mph into thickening traffic and backed off at 72mph. My bike in its current tune will certainly put Dr. Pulley's claim of increased top speed to the test. More to come...[/quote]

So w/the new xhaust & sliders you are getting more mph & better takeoff plus better mpg?
Having had the Elite 110 previously I know those who did the above often did get more takeoff, better mph, but
had lower mpg.
150i

aaron

Post by aaron » Thu May 04, 2017 9:29 pm

hdsteal wrote:So w/the new xhaust & sliders you are getting more mph & better takeoff plus better mpg?
Having had the Elite 110 previously I know those who did the above often did get more takeoff, better mph, but
had lower mpg.
I can only speak for my throttle habits, but the Akrapovic definitely allows the bike to breathe more freely. The result is less throttle required to hold the same speed as before = more mpg. The weight and performance characteristics of the 12g sliders is very comparable to the 12.5g rollers. If/when I go to 11g sliders, RPMs at a given speed will increase, and mpg will decrease.