Sh300i Not charging battery

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
Gavin101

Sh300i Not charging battery

Post by Gavin101 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:55 pm

I have a 2009 SH300i , the scooter cut out whilst riding and on further investigation I found the battery to be flat, I charged the battery and the scooter started as usual. I've checked the battery voltage with the engine running and its not charging at all ... any ideas of where to start investigating ?

Cheers Gavin

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Sh300i Not charging battery

Post by TommyXP » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:36 am

My first suspicion and least mentally tasking is the battery and its connections. Has the battery ever been replaced? From my slight experience with these AGM batteries; they are wonderful for ~3 years and when they begin to 'go' they just cease, unlike the ol' lead/acid that we could still get a little usage out of by trying to resuscitate the dead with constant external charging.
If the battery is old, there is a good chance that is due for replacement anyhow and will save you a lot of trouble by not having to spend your days and nights tracing circuits in your head.....Hope you have the Factory Service Manual IF the solution demands slightly more effort to nail the culprit and restore peace and confidence in your trusty steed......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Gavin101

Post by Gavin101 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:31 am

The battery is fairly new - with the engine running its only showing 12.5 volts across the terminals

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:08 am

I would now find the regulator/rectifier and check the 2 connectors (3 wires ea.) for corrosion/looseness.
Do you have The Factory Service Manual? I note that the 2010 manual shows their location (beneath the seat/luggage box) and gives what the terminal measured findings should be.....

Gavin101

Post by Gavin101 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks so much for your help - I down loaded a pdf of the service manual - I found the two connectors you mentioned and one of them was badly corroded. I made a new connection and the battery is now charging.

Thanks again .. Gavin

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:06 am

Good Job!
You are living proof of the eternal fact that God helps those who help themselves.
May it be so in all your endeavors evermore.....