Back in the saddle again

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
breaknwind

Back in the saddle again

Post by breaknwind » Wed May 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Hello Shcooter peeps.
I'm pressing the SH back into service. I liked the BV350 so much I bought a 2nd. I figured, one for my wrench and one for my butt. I used the 2014 BV as the commuter and the 2015 as the backup/weekend/custom bike. After 25,000 miles on the commuter BV, it seems to need more attention causing me to use the weekend BV as a commuter more than I like.
After some insurance tweeking, I bought a new battery and tagged the SH. The SH has 22,000 miles on it and I'm planning to make the SH the primary commuter. The problem is that the clutch is grabbing hard during engagement. I rode it to work 2 times and despite it being slower, it still squirts thru traffic impressively.
After checking OEM parts, new clutch shoes cost $88. I found a Malossi complete clutch and bell set for $88.

https://scooterpartsco.com/honda/honda- ... 0a80f47048

Now, instead of using the custom BV as a backup. I'll use the commuter BV as a backup for the SH. Then I'll be able to use the custom BV on weekends as intended.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Back in the saddle again

Post by TommyXP » Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 am

You have a nice set-up and thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the clutch link and I will be getting one too.
I have a question: is that a decal or painted, upon your lower windscreens?
I really like the appearance and how it seemingly 'beefs-up' the frontal view whilst interfering with nothing......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Thu May 18, 2017 1:52 pm

I drew the design on AutoCAD and took the file to a sign shop. They laser cut the vinyl, weeded and taped them. I applied the vinyl and painted the screen. I got smart with the Scoot Life and had it reversed to apply to the inside. The black flames on the SH are showing chips from High speed :mrgreen: sandblasting. I think the SH looks like a one eyed monster from a 1950's si-fi movie.
When I bought the first BV, I had 8,000 miles on the SH and the BV was the weekend bike. Then the BV was the Friday/weekend bike. The last Few of the 22,000 miles, the SH was the backup bike. Then I bought the 2nd BV and used the tags from the SH for "Scoot Life".
The SH spent the last year and 1/2 in the shed. Every 2 weeks I'd start it and ride it around the storage lot. I tried to sell the SH but the morons wanted me to dam near give it away. So the best revenge is living well and riding the SH.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Fri May 19, 2017 5:53 am

To my minds-eye, blocking-out that lower, useless portion of the windscreen has amazing results on the appearance and I be painting mine nothing-fancy flat-black here shortly with a hat-tip to you. My rational will be to cut down the glare whilst following the 'yellow-brick-road' for the unaethestically inclined curious.....

Having 2 identical SH's I lawlessly (the extent of my now outlaw nature) switch the plate for Summer and Winter. The Winter SH has heated grips, knuckle-visors and a thermoscud that I applied some SS canvas snaps too and wish I could add a +300 into the starting line-up; and though the BV is a tempting morsel, the damned googled-eyed mechanic is being stubborn about keeping the entire fleet within the Honda family for convenience sake.....Lazy Bones.

When Honda came out with the new 150 (Forza, I think?) I noted the smaller wheel sizes and ran out to obtain one of the last 'new' 2010's in the U.S. as I prefer my brides virginal and 'well-heeled' on the wedding night.
I picked up that Malossi clutch package, as with 12,000 miles on one and 19,000 miles on the other, the future is nigh; with the added consolation that if the 'specs' aren't up to snuff I'll have a companion to cry into my beer with!

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Fri May 19, 2017 1:48 pm

I pulled the clutch/pulley yesterday and made a clutch holder at work today. I noticed the bell had a grease/clutch dust paste in it. I guess the seals in the driven pulley failed. I need to round up a socket for the 39mm nut. I'll grease the guide pins and rollers, then replace the seal collar, O-rings and the outbound seal (if I can). The bearings look good so far.
The pads on the new clutch are thinner than the OEM pads with 22,000 on them. I'll bet the OEM pads are contaminated with grease. So I'll go ahead and replace them. I'll post the results after I get a look at the driven pulleys.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Sat May 20, 2017 4:40 am

I was reading the post when the SH was pushing oil out the crankcase breather. I noticed it didn't show the solution to the problem.
I replaced the cylinder/piston and it still pushed oil. Finally I replaced the head and it worked. I'm guessing a bad exhaust valve guide was letting exhaust pressure force oil out the breather. The problem started at 8,000 miles and It now has 14,000 trouble free miles from the engine. That was when I bought the first BV.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Tue May 23, 2017 5:32 pm

I couldn't find a 39mm socket last weekend and had to order it on line. I mounted the clutch bell on the lathe at work. Sanded the bell with 120 sandpaper and sanded the clutch pads with 240. Now the SH is running smooth and I'll think about changing the driven pulley seals at 25,000 miles.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu May 25, 2017 7:40 am

Breaknwind, I had my eye on a BV350 also for more highway use. What kind of issues are you having with yours? Are you happy with it?

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Thu May 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Mikey wrote:Breaknwind, I had my eye on a BV350 also for more highway use. What kind of issues are you having with yours? Are you happy with it?
The best thing about The BV is the wet clutch. Sure, it's got 100% more power and only 50% more weight. When the SH accelerates from a stop, it mimics someone letting out a clutch in a standard transmission. when the BV accelerates from a stop, it mimics an automatic transmission.
I consider the BV a MC in scooter clothing. Handles like a sport bike. When I pass bikes on the slab, they look so uncomfortable compared to me, unless its a full dress cruiser.

Pros.
Lots of storage under the seat. Even more if you remove the evap crap. Unless you like ugly top boxes.
Smoother ride. When I ride the SH seems I need a mouth guard.
Strong acceleration but not enough to get deadly stupid.
Easy to work on, for me at least.
Hasn't left me stranded on the side of the road.

Cons.
Stock windshield sucks! Aftermarket windshields suck. Good thing I know how to make my own.
Chinese bearings. When My axel bearing went, I should have replaced them all with Japanese bearings. I think the commuter is throwing another.
Italians Don't know how to create a service manual. Plenty of info on the Modern Vespa website.
Parts take a minimum of 1 1/2 weeks to get. Better have a backup bike :ugeek:
Radiator hose clamps suck. Lots of failures out there. I changed my clamps when the complaint posts started popping up.
The spark plug cap has a large failure rate.
If you can't DIY your bike, better have lots of $$$$$$

My best advice is to go to Modern Vespa and search BV350 and BV 350 in the message title only and read as much as you can. I have some BV videos on youtube.

BTW, if I wasn't happy with it, I wouldn't have bought 2 of them :mrgreen:

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Fri May 26, 2017 6:20 am

Cons.....
The SH has spoilt me.....I almost forgot what it is like, out there in the Real world.....

"The wealth of gold-abounding Croesus; is of no concern to me,
Ambition offers no temptation; from envy I am free.
The Gods affairs I do not question; no monarch would I be.
I am content,,,,, wherever I'm sent,,,,, with mediocrity....."
~Solon