Plugged Tire

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
jergrande

Plugged Tire

Post by jergrande » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:19 pm

I'm sidelined again with a flat tire :x And my rear tire has already been plugged for a flat before. So I just did the whole soap & water thing to narrow down the problem. It appears to be coming from that same plug site.
My question :?: is: Is there a reliable compound/glue that I can just apply over that plug to buy me some time until I can afford a better repair? The tire itself isn't even a year old yet. :roll:
Thanks again for any input.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Plugged Tire

Post by TommyXP » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:30 am

Sorry to hear that. I don't know what I would do in that situation and I care to much for my fellow man to even speculate; as your only two points of critical contact with Terra Firma should be the focus of only your best.
I can offer you a used tire with a few miles left on it or a willingness to contribute to a Go-Fund-Me account.
Seems there are some integrity's that once violated (virginity!) can never be fully restored.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

jergrande

Post by jergrande » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks, I'm working on another solution today. "Replug" if necessary :?

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:17 am

Are products such as Ultra Seal or Puncture-safe available / permissible for use in USA?
A fiber based solution you add to a tyre through the valve...
meant to seal a puncture as it happens - no reason it shouldn't work retrospectively? - especially with a slow-ish puncture... and also with a lightish weight and slowish speed vehicle?
Last edited by SH125Paul on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

lazyguy

Post by lazyguy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:09 pm

if you want to take the tire off the rim there are special patch/plugs that incorporate a plug with a patch that go on the inside of the tire. Stop & Go makes them and I got some from J&P cycles. work great

313Matt

Post by 313Matt » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:53 am

Ok, so the tire companies answer is for you to buy a new tire. Tires, really so you have a matched pair.

The tire shops will do a patch on the inside. (This is a pretty good solution.) I swap my own tires, so this is something I (or you) could do yourself.

With that being said, I got a flat in my rear tire a couple of months ago. I used a car tire plug system on it to get me back on the road.

(Something like slime's tire plug kit - google it.)

I consider this a 'temporary' repair. I am due for new tires semi-soon. I will say that I used to have a street and track car that got a puncture in the summer/track tires. They were expensive tires, and they were the 'play' tires, so I was loath to buy new ones and plugged it. I left it like that for several years, and at the track we would regularly break 100. I had no problems.

I take no responsibility if you take this course of action. It is a risk. YMMV.

Matt
Matt
2010 SH150i US model

jergrande

Post by jergrande » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Ended up "replugging" it. And after 2 days it still has air 8-) Still only consider it a temporary fix, so I'm only riding short trips & with caution. Front tire is due anyway, so we'll wait for a set LOL Got through a few miles with no problem.
Thanks Again, for all the advise. :D