SH150 oil capacity

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
Mikey

SH150 oil capacity

Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:19 am

Hi, now that I have a 2016 Burgman 400 I'm finding out it has a oil capacity of 1.4 qrts when replacing the oil filter. 1.3 qrts. when not. It has a internal cartridge filter but doesnt have to be replaced till 11,000 miles after the first 500. The new X Max 300 has an oil capacity of .9 qrts. I'm surprised our little 150cc uses 1 qrt. I always thought that was very little oil compared to a motorcycle but now see it as Honda building in a little extra protection of the engine.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: SH150 oil capacity

Post by TommyXP » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:19 am

I buy my oil in gallon jugs (Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic 5W-40) and have a favorite old, empty 1 quart 'bottle' that I use to measure; as it has a clear stripe up its side to make it easy to see contents. I fill it to the 32 oz. marker and ALWAYS end up adding another oz. or two to have it brimming at the FULL mark. There is NOTHING 'level' on the patch of terra firma that I scrounge-out an existence on, but I do try to orientate the bike according to and with reference to the center of the Earth.
I am still amazed at the efficiencies and durability that Honda has wrung-out of a single quart of oil.

I also have a wonderful, bullet-proof little 2KW Honda generator and I like how they made changing oil practically idiot-proof. You drain the oil from the fill hole and then add oil to it just begins to run out the fill hole! Duh....

I made the depressing mistake of trying to buy a small Honda riding mower; only to discover that they haven't been available in the U.S. since 1992 and those 'old' heavily used high-milers now go for a small fortune.
Oh Honda; please hold-on a bit longer as EVERY U.S. (China) manufacturer fleeces the public one last time with un-servicable worthless crap before the pending, obvious, unavoidable Armageddon resets the field......
I hope to find the Time to relate my ventures regarding this in an Off Topic post, mainly in order to VENT; as few seem to give a f*** and keep their faces buried and entranced in a stupid phone...............

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Honda hasn't spoiled you and you continue to be able to report glad-tidings as your relationship with your new 400 continues to grow.............
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:18 am

On the '13 125...
The capacities are such:
Gear Oil 120ml
Engine Oil 800ml
Engine Oil & Strainer 900ml

I always drain the oil on the side stand, via big nut with the strainer (which is on the side) rather than the smaller drain plug which is on the bottom...
You still get all the oil out, plus you can check the strainer, and don't get the oil dribbling all over the centre stand...
If you change the gear oil first - until it weeps oil out the fill hole threads... there is just enough oil out of a litre (maybe a touch shy - but at least your not over filling) to then do the engine oil....
All out of one 1 Lt bottle - Genius!

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:55 am

On the SH150 I use the side-stand too with a piece of 4 x 4 under it to place it at the perfect vertical point of balance; and possible excitement if I should forget, while lying down, and wondering why the right crankcase appears to be getting closer and closer to my forehead!!!
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.