15000 service

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
breaknwind

Re: 15000 service

Post by breaknwind » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:19 am

TommyXP wrote:Also, I didn't consider creating some slop in the belt by forcing the new belt deeper into the rear clutch and merely worked the belt over the shaft and put the pulley on whilst 'ASSuming' the tightening of the pulley nut would FORCE the belt to its proper position (which it probably does, as I got away with it twice).
This is what the mechanics at the Honda dealer thought when I had the crankshaft seal replaced under warranty. Got it home, rode down the block and the outer drive pulley came off and the splines were ripped off. Cost me a new outer drive pulley for a $6 seal I could have replaced myself. I always make sue the pulley is seated on the crankshaft shoulder before I torque it :ugeek:

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:44 am

stonerolled wrote:
Here ya go.
https://shspowersports.com/
Wow! Great info and thank you for taking the time to explain and share....
SHS is where I always get my parts from too..............
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:08 am

For the service add an Air Filter and Spark Plug
I recommend the Brisk equivalent...
Dr pulley do the slider pieces instead of the rollers...
They are a strange shape and move the pulley half lower and higher...
A bit like one tooth off the front at start, and one tooth on the front at max revs on a motorbike...
Google Dr Pulley...
I recommend going OE weight rather than going lighter as they say... Ends up too revvy
They also do the ramp segments...
The material is wear resistant
20000 miles, no noticable wear

NADman

Post by NADman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:27 pm

TommyXP wrote:I do not know as I was planning on doing it all, somehow, myself.............
I would consider having done IF it is economical....
I'll be right over to give you a hand.
Bring-Tools?
Beer?

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:33 pm

No need to bring anything accept your pleasant self.
I'll provide everything that money can't buy......It's all I have!

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:05 am

Do the clutch friction pads wear out also? I guess you would want to take the clutch cover off and blow the dust out. They sell little inspection mirrors you can purchase to stick behind the clutch cover and check the pad wear if you don't want to remove the cover

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:36 am

I recall, loooong ago, removing the clutch housing just to familiarize myself with the process and nose around.
I had an ol' Pipe Strap Wrench laying around that I used to remove the housing. I recall that once the wrench was in position, the handle would dig and hold into the ground and both hands were free to grapple with the nut.
https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-2131 ... dpSrc=srch

After getting the drum off I ruffed-up and cleaned the pads with sandpaper and used fine sandpaper on the interior drum mating surface to clean it up as if doing a brake-job. I didn't tear it down any further than this, though a recent member had a problem with a broken spring back there and remarked about rust and corrosion that I thought-at-the-time might have been forestalled by some cleaning and light oiling......

When I performed this procedure I thought I'd being do it more often as a general maintenance item and after many years, it still hasn't been necessary YET after ~20k miles each on 2 trusty SH's that as Time and Life and Riding roll-on, remains at the top-of-list of the fewer and fewer items I have True reason to live for; as Wisdom teaches the disentanglement of The Spirit from the material aspects of this lower plane in preparation for release and return to its natural free and unencumbered state which we foolishly 'locked' to the body of this lower realm by our all and various sin and lack in knowledge of Christ's eternal message/method of infinite joy freedom and happiness that nothing in the material realm can ever provide.............

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:42 am

Mikey wrote:Do the clutch friction pads wear out also? I guess you would want to take the clutch cover off and blow the dust out. They sell little inspection mirrors you can purchase to stick behind the clutch cover and check the pad wear if you don't want to remove the cover
The clutch pads should last 40,000-50,000 miles. It's the seals/bearings/seal collar that will go bad at 25,000-30,000. You want to remove the clutch bell and look for traces of grease near the bottom of where the pads sit. If there's no grease it wouldn't hurt to sand the pads/bell with 220-400 grit sandpaper and blow all the dust out. Don't breathe the dust!!!
You should have seen the wear the pins caused in the seal collar at 22,000 miles. Like I said, if you can't disassemble the driven pulley assembly, SHS powersports can do it. Should be a 1 1/2 week turn around. If there's no grease in the bell. don't worry about it. Believe me, your clutch will let you know when you need to do this. No mistaking it.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:57 am

Or ya'll could ship the parts and pulley assembly to me, I'll do it for $50 + shipping :P

stonerolled

Post by stonerolled » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:40 pm

The 15000 mile mark is getting closer. For sure new drive belt but no mention of the rollers in the owner's manual maintenance. Any chance they won't be needed at 15000? thanks.