Here's what we can't buy in the USA.

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
Elvis

Here's what we can't buy in the USA.

Post by Elvis » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:12 am

I found this link about the latest generation SH150i.

It's a remarkable increase in features!

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/motorcycles/ ... nda-sh150i

Not only rear disc brakes, but also a new engine design, with the radiator at the engine itself, rocker arm needle bearings, and fuel saving "Idling Stop" shutdown.

Mikey

Re: Here's what we can't buy in the USA.

Post by Mikey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:30 am

I usually turn off my scooter when I'm stopped at a light for a long period. It makes sense since I'm not running the A/C or the stereo. I really like led lighting. I put a 3100 lumen fixture in my kitchen that just uses 35 watts. I remember buying halogen lights for my motorcycle years ago and added a voltage meter to manage how much power was being used while driving.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 am

I'd gladly incorporate the needle bearings, the rear disc brakes and the almost double capacity of the fuel tank into the present SH's I own....

Personally, I don't want no damned ABS on two fricking wheels. Next they will offer you a self driving scooter. Needless increase in weight, complexity and cost. IMHO. The S.O.B.'s would offer it as an add-on/accessory for the incompetent IF it wasn't such a money-maker for them.

I am skeptical of the placement of the radiator which I see as a HUGE reduction in assembly cost and unless they managed to turn Physics on its head, I can't imagine how this helped or increased the ability to keep the engine COOLER. Maybe that is why they HAD to go with the needle bearings?!

I am skeptical of the new starter/alternator configuration. Nice to eliminate the starter and gear weight BUT this has yet to stand the test of Time and we'll see if it is as dependable as a stand alone's.
First thing I did to mine was add a 12v outlet....BFD....Should have been there from the git-go....Next thing they gonna be bragging about putting screw-caps on your tire valve stems.....

Idle/Stop......Oh for the sake of all that is Holy, give me break! Be sure to include all this additional complexity into your trouble-shooting a won't start condition.....Prime example of technology searching for a problem that doesn't (yet!) exist......On any of my rides, I could stop and pickup a returnable can and pay for the fuel I 'waste' idling for a couple years! To all those sitting around 'idling'; I encourage you to practice 'timing' the lights and your route selection. Certainly there are a slim few who have NO alternative....so lets make everyone else SUFFER the cheap complexity that allows increasing cost.......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:23 am

Mikey, Tommy, great feedback on the Honda website for the new European SH150i.

Maybe I'll install an LED headlight lamp. Any recommendations?

Tommy, I agree that the Idling Stop feature is a bit excessive for a 153cc engine. Maybe it's a EU requirement? I've heard they are as strict as EPA standards in the US, if not more so.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 am

We had a discussion long ago about the tail light and I think the same applies to the headlight.
IF the mfg'er didn't design the reflective mirrors and plastic Fresnel lens for a specific LED bulb, I wouldn't do it.
All the 'angles' are precise for a given SINGLE light source at a certain height above the bulb base.
Maybe, now-a-daze, they make a single LED that could replace a filament without throwing the precise alignment out-of-whack. I don't know. Been out of the game too long.
Seems to me that IF a mfg'er is going to use a LED headlight, they'd design for it and then give a 'specific' bulb # to use.......
It might still work fine enough and I am nit-picking, but theoretically it might be better for less power consumption but impossible to exceed the forward lighting ability of the initial design......

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Don't forget, Euro4 = less compression = less HP.
Rear disk brake, valve bearings and an extra transmission bearing are good improvements. Everything else is bullshit. It's a fucking 150cc scooter, get a grip. This world is slipping towards a Jacobs ladder.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

NADman

Post by NADman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:07 pm

"Idling Stop" my ass. All automotive (and other) parts are only good for so many cycles. Pun. The ignition switch, battery, alternator, solenoid, in this case the ECU etc. All these parts and more will have to be replaced sooner the more they are used. Building new starters, alternators etc also costs $$$ and creates needless waste. Most automotive folks agree that a 'start'-hot or cold causes the most damage to an ICE engine.
Common, how much fuel does that baby 'waste' in a 30sec-1min idle.
Not sure but doesn't the FI system give an extra little squirt for every 'start'.

'They' tried in Calgary, Alberta, Canada some yrs. ago. Just imagine 8 lanes of traffic, gridlocked at -35 degrees. Lights on, heater running full blast, stereo going. Engine start stop every min or two. Most people only commute a few miles every day. You wonder why you need a new battery, starter etc. CRAP.
IMHO

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:55 am

From what I read the Idling Stop can be turned off. Not sure why anyone would want it turned on.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:48 am

......and the 'Smart Key' B.S......They assume us modern-day hipsters have plenty of room in our front pockets to carry a 'Fob' rather than a simple 'Key' because that is where our junk used to reside......
Our commercial zio-masters have and keep humanity in a high-state of excitement (which renders 'rational' thinking IMPOSSIBLE); opening 'our' eyes every morning for ONLY one reason: What is New?.....Forgetting ALL the simple MEANINGFUL pleasures that ONLY Life; not technology; can afford.
Word for it is "neophilia" = "love of the new".....
Reminds me of an ancient verse:
"Mankind has not learnt what is the true end of getting,
and up to what point genuine pleasure goes on increasing.....
This, by slow degree's, has carried Life off into the deep
and from its darkest depths stirred the mighty billows of War!"

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:46 am

I have to agree. Technological advances over human history was to free up leisure time for mankind and make his life easier. It has gone beyond that and now is going in the opposite direction and making life complex, expensive and with the loss of leisure time.