Battery terminal location

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
Ukebob

Battery terminal location

Post by Ukebob » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Now that I have fulfilled my obligation by posting on the new user's page, I can now join in with old timers!
Since purchasing my SH 150, I have installed a Buzzetti sidestand and EBC HH rear brake shoes, both without much drama, although removing the rear wheel took a few more steps than it did on my HD 200, or Vespa GT 200! Thanks to the tips I found on this forum, the sidestand went on without any problems.
Now I wish to install a USB socket for my iPhone and after opening up the maintenance lid, noticed that the battery terminals on my scooter were located on the top of the terminal posts, whereas, in the service manual, they are shown on the side, facing upwards towards the opening, which, in my mind, is a better location, since the battery does not have to be raised in order to add new wiring. My question is - was this intentionally done by the factory, or did the previous owner do it this way, for whatever reason? I don't want to reposition the connections, only to find that the wiring now doesn't fit properly in the limited space in the battery cavity. Let's face it, there isn't much space to move things around down there!
Thanks for any advice. Still getting to know this great scooter.

Bob

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Battery terminal location

Post by TommyXP » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:32 am

It's tight working quarters but with Time and care; can be handled neatly. I came off the battery with an in-line fuse that can be accessed in the area to the rear of battery compartment. Be certain that your battery is 'AGM" (absorbed glass mat) type, usually "Yuasa" brand, as these are made to operate on their sides. 'Normal' batteries will work....for a while...and then, will soon leave one stranded. I am not familiar with any other type of post configuration.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

ksigurdsen

Post by ksigurdsen » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:28 pm

I did the same thing as Tommy. AGM batteries are great. I live in South Florida where there isn't much of a winter. The original battery in my sh150 lasted 5 years.

Ukebob

Post by Ukebob » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks for the advice. My battery is the Yuasa that Honda recommends and is shown in the photos in the service manual, so It must be the right one!
After switching the terminal posts so the the connection bolts face upwards so that the connections can be attached without raising the battery, it became a straightforward task to connect a pair of wires from the battery and back along the frame to a place near the left hand shock absorber with a socket matching my mini air compressor and Battery Tender's plug.
Another set of wires went to the back of the leg shield, where I installed a neat USB socket, which also gives a battery voltage readout.
Removing the leg shield had me cursing the Honda designers more than once! I hope I don't have to go there again for some time!
Apart from looking for ways to get the scooter to do better than 60 MPH, I'm hoping to just enjoy riding it.

Bob

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 am

Though some of the panels can be a little trying at times, it always amazes me with what precision they line-back-up when properly aligned.
May you have many care-free miles ahead.

Ukebob

Post by Ukebob » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:18 am

Yes, that is true, also, once one has removed and replaced the panels a few times, it gets easier! The workshop manual is also one of the very best that I've come across. This forum, too has been a great help, even though posts are somewhat few and far between :) Please keep it going.
Bob

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:31 am

Seems the design and engineering of the SH2010 overflowed and extended into the fabrication of the Factory Service Manual too. Agree on the panels too. It is nice when the sequence becomes logical and the 'manual' becomes an unnecessary constant-consultant.
Yes, the ever diminishing site traffic is to be expected because of the narrow focus of this subject, and I attribute responsibility for that directly upon HONDA!, for not keeping and maintaining this model as a 'legacy', instead of constantly belittling itself by fawning over the 'publics' ill-founded need and desire for constant change; resulting in a never-ending multitude of needless 'conveniences' and hi-tech wizardry run-amuck, whilst burying the founding platform beneath shiny garnishments and most of all the undeserved shame of an early burial (IMHO).
Like when (((they))) killed Christ. Few realized what they lost, but a great many realized what they forever gained.....
We da' lucky ones...again...too(IMNSHO)