Puig Traffic windscreen

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
Ukebob

Puig Traffic windscreen

Post by Ukebob » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:15 am

I'm thinking of purchasing a Puig Traffic windscreen #4045, but it's recommended for year models 2008/2009. How much difference can there be between 2009 and 2010? Looking at the design, it seems to have a lot of adjustability. I really like it, but I don't want to take a chance since it is shipped from the UK. Any thoughts, or is there anyone who has installed one on a 2010 model 150?

Bob

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Puig Traffic windscreen

Post by TommyXP » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 am

Never heard of anyone on this site trying one. Many have used the Givi, though I prefer the Honda factory model which only has to be adjusted once; with a skill saw and a blade with no kerf.....I don't know about the difference between model years either and understand what a difficult position you are in trying to measure and imagine dimensions BEFORE making a decision......Best of Luck.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Ukebob

Post by Ukebob » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:42 pm

Thanks for your quick response, Tommy, even if you are no wiser than me regarding whether the windscreen will fit or not.
I've contemplated cutting the OEM one down, but I don't like the way it would look if I cut it as low as I would like it.
I'm really tempted to give the Puig a go, since I can't see the distance between the mirror stems being any different between the earlier models. That's where the windscreen is mounted on. Oh, well, I'll think about it some more, or perhaps try to e mail the Puig company.

Bob

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:11 pm

I didn't know you already had the OEM. IMHO it is the best fit for the bike and rock-solid, whereas the after-markets I've seen leave a lot to be desired.
For best utility and what some serious riders recommend, is that one should be able to see the road ~30ft. ahead of the bike (for rain, fog coating, night, etc.) when looking over the top; which usually means removing ~2 inches. I wear a baseball cap when riding and have never lost it yet.
Of course, if certain other personal aesthetics are involved you must do what is necessary and again I wish you luck and would be interested of how it comes out.

Ukebob

Post by Ukebob » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks, Tommy for the words of wisdom. I suppose at this stage I should mention that I have had over 60 years of experience with various forms of motorcycles and scooters, so I am aware of , at least, my ideal of the perfect windscreen! ;) Definitely need to look over it, for sure. I still have another option if the present one doesn't work out. I'll keep posted. Thanks again for your time and advice.

Bob

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:09 am

Thanks for the polite and gentlemanly 'tune-up' in fact of my little considered manner of presentation regarding the possible greater extent of the experience of others..... Perfect lesson in humility even though today is not Sunday.
One gets lax, out of habit, from usually dealing with the other 99% (of which I am one), and using the lingo thereof.....Your experience exceeds mine own though the years be similar; for after flying in helicopters in my late teens, my thoughts remained 'in the air' with bikes merely becoming a means to induce a bit of the sensations experienced 'there', after becoming earth-bound again; with no regard for the mechanics or dynamics thereof until this late-season of Life.....
It might serve greater value to know some of your considerations towards the effect you are attempting to achieve and cast my juvenile, base/mechanical blitherings aside!

Ukebob

Post by Ukebob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:08 am

Tommy, it wasn't my intent to come over as being ostentatious, and I sincerely apologise if it seemed that way. Since I am a newcomer to this forum and have asked more questions than have given good advice, you have every right to offer whatever advice you deem fit for the subject at hand. Newcomers to any forum have to earn their respect, which only comes with time and to try to short circuit this process was wrong of me.
Once again, please accept my apologies. I still have a lot to learn, particularly about the SH150!

Bob

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 am

Bob, your reply indicates the extreme opposite of what I intended to communicate. It was I who possibly 'could have' offended you through not leaving room for the greater possible experience of others. Please don't ever consider that at any time I am due an apology. I don't at any time take ANYTHING personally, and others shouldn't either; that way the words and ideas can flow. I 'think' I was merely expressing mine own short comings and was truly wondering and welcoming your insights as unlike me, who never considered, being the duffus that I am, the shield to be nothing but a big dumb wind-blocker! ......Sorry I made such a blunder in my untamed means of expression; ANOTHER shortcoming....

Ukebob

Post by Ukebob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:14 pm

OK, now that the air has been cleared, back to the original subject of windscreens. Basically, as you suggested, a windscreen is no more than a big dumb windblocker, however, there are variations, depending on the machine and its rider. For example, a Moto GP rider's windscreen is minimal, to cut down on drag, but still give him wind protection when in a tuck position. On the other end of the spectrum, a scooter rider, who uses his mount for day to day commuting, in rain and shine, without exceeding 45 mph, prefers the big, dumb wind-blocker. then we have the sport riders, touring riders, adventure riders, and so on, each preferring a different style of windscreen. Which brings me to my situation and reason for searching for a windscreen with just enough wind protection, without causing drag or suffering from the "sailboat" effect. I come from a sport riding background and spend most of my riding in the mountains, canyons and other twisty roads, where a screen such as the OEM Honda variety would be completely out of place. Riding on the freeway, my choice is a bit of a compromise, but one which I can live with. Cutting down the OEM screen to the height that I'd like, looked weird and out of proportion. The Puig Traffic, on the other hand, has a more minimal sporty look to it and I'd probably cut it down an inch or two!
I hope these insights shed some light on why some windscreens are preferred over others. Different strokes and all that!

Bob

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:27 am

Thanks for sharing Bob. I like their design and can see the difficulty of trying choose one to fit from their website. Best of Luck.