Transport Tips

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
evad

Transport Tips

Post by evad » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:46 am

Now, we all know that the best way to transport any 2-wheeled vehicle is with the tires on the road and a rider in control.

However, that isn't always feasible. Sometimes it's necessary to put the bike in the back of a truck or on a trailer, and that's the source of my question.

Does anyone have any tips for securing the SH for transport? There aren't a lot of places to hook straps, except for the rear rack, which isn't rated to take much weight.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Transport Tips

Post by TommyXP » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:04 am

Off-hand, I'd consider lifting the seat and running a singular strap under the rear rack support and over the lower vicinity of the gas fill cap and back under the other support and ratchet down. I think to remember that this area is slanted somewhat forward but the rack support forward bolts should prevent creepage....I'd look more carefully at this area of support but it does appear to be very solid.....Goes without saying to lock the brakes. Again, 'off-hand' there might be better options yet to come to mind.....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

evad

Post by evad » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:40 am

I took a look at your suggested location, and I was a bit concerned that the strap would rub on the paint.

With no other ideas coming to mind, I decided to consult the experts. I emailed Honda's customer support. They responded with a PDF copy of the owner's manual, and they directed me to page 154 for "helpful tips on how to appropriately transport your scooter." Duh, maybe I should have looked there first! However, here is the full text of the "helpful tips:"
If your scooter needs to be transported, it
should be carried on a motorcycle trailer,
or a truck or trailer with a flatbed area. Do
not tow your scooter, as towing can
seriously damage the transmission.

When contacting a towing or transporting
service, be sure to ask if they have a
flatbed area, a loading ramp or power
ramp to safely lift the scooter, and
motorcycle tie-down straps.
The email also contained a phone number for customer support, so I decided to give that a try, no matter how long I would have to wait on hold. It turns out that I didn't need to wait on hold for long at all. A friendly dude picked up the phone, and we chatted for a while. He ultimately suggested (but the lawyers wouldn't let him recommend) hooking straps onto the bottom triple clamp, which would let me get some compression into the fork so the scooter wouldn't bounce around.

The triple clamp doesn't seem to have any holes machined or cast into it, so I ended up wrapping some strap loops intended for handlebars around it, and then running straps from those to the tie-down loops in the truck. All in all, it worked pretty well. Only a couple of minor drawbacks to fix:
1. Because of the width of the tie-down loops in the truck, the straps came dangerously close to the side of the fairing, and I was worried about marring the paint.
2. With the forks compressed a bit, he front fender extends past the front edge of the tire, so I had to put some spacer blocks in front of the tire to keep the fender from scraping the bed of the truck.

One thing I did to aid loading was to use straps on the luggage rack, lightly, to keep the scooter upright while I messed with the front straps. I kept those in place for the ride, too, just in case something went wrong with the front straps.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:40 am

Good info and thanks for sharing the results of your efforts and concerns for keeping the plastic/paint in tip-top shape and ready to lead any spontaneous parade that should happen to form and also especially to maintain resale value.
Finding myself at the other extreme of constant and sometimes heavy unique usage, my "Lungta" (Tibetan word for 'Wind Horse') proudly bears many valiant wounds as I do myself in a rough and tumble existence where appearance is sacrificed for care-less utility.
I hope I never have to transport Her further than a guy with a cane can roll her.....

PS: Evad, if you would go to your User Control Panel and fill in your 'location' in your profile; it would show beneath your name in every post and help to situate you within the Mind of our wonderful World.......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:37 pm

If this a one time thing, then continue on but take great care while driving. If you plan on doing this regularly, then this is my 2 cents. Always use a wheel chock. Canyon dancers are highly recommended on other forums. Don't compress the bike on the center stand or you can bend the frame.
When I transport my SH in my van. I put it on the center stand. I strap the rear wheel(I have eye bolts behind the wheel for the strap) so the bike can't move forward and fall off the center stand. I strap the handle bars to the side walls to prevent the bike from tipping on ether side.

evad

Post by evad » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:30 am

Thanks for the tips, breaknwind!

If you don't mind, I'm gonna separate your response into bite-sized chunks and query/comment as appropriate:
Always use a wheel chock.
What kind of wheel chock? (just a little triangle, or one of the ones with supports to hold a wheel) And what's the benefit of using the wheel chock?
Canyon dancers are highly recommended on other forums.
Thanks! I had never heard of these before. Would I need the small size for the SH, or would the regular size work?
Don't compress the bike on the center stand or you can bend the frame.
Totally agree there. I always transport on the tires, because they are designed to grip. The center stand doesn't provide grip, it just holds the bike upright.
I strap the rear wheel(I have eye bolts behind the wheel for the strap) so the bike can't move forward and fall off the center stand.
I've always been hesitant to strap to a wheel, for fear of making the wheel non-round.