Hints for detailing and reassembly

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
Villager

Hints for detailing and reassembly

Post by Villager » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:47 am

I bought my SH used in Daytona with 856 miles on it . I was so taken with the seldom used side that I missed some front end collision damage as well as the beneath the skin damage from seaside salty air . I’ve been patching the cracks with an ABS slurry mix of acetone and Abs shavings . I made the shavings using an Oakley black floor drain from Lowe’s that I stuck in my vise and drilled 50 holes in it using a 3/8” center drill . I followed this with a Weldon 25/64” dia. Countersink . This c/sink has a large hole set at an angle of maybe 45*. . This plus the c/drill provides a long curly-Q of ABS with lots of surface area for dissolving .
I have also been sourcing both “U-clips in the 8 & 10 size . Lowe’s, Home Depot and internet are helpful . Usually 6 clips cost about $3.50 versus $3.50 each thru Honda . Acura also is cheaper. I bought some under the Dorman’s HELP ! brand atO’Reilly’s . They are .512 “ wide versus .437” width of the Original clips . They could easily be narrowed by file or resin wheel on a die grinder .
I also discovered that the 10X32 Threaded screws can be used for the 5 mm. And 8 & 10 sheet metal screws replace the 4 X 10 metric screws even when they go into plastic . Check the thread pitch’s side by side - - !
The surface rust from salty air was centered around where the welded on tabs are on the frame . I used a single 3” dia. Red flapper wheel similar to a wire wheel to abrade all of this off. Mine came from Harbor Freight . Top coat of paint was a spray bomb of black appliance epoxy by Rustoleum from Walmart .
The aluminum part got a duller film with speckles like measles that responds to Loctite Naval Jelly from O’Reilly’s .
I’ve heard others have had the same difficulties separating the side panels from each other . Finally, I looked at the two long slots on one panel and the matching locks on the other panel and gently inserted a thin knife blade and gently pried the lock / slot apart !!
I do have a question regarding coil wires . I forgot whether the shorter wire goes to the outboard terminal and the coil is to be installed with the spark plug wire facing the front of the scooter . This was correct .
When repairing broken spring nut posts (abs) , using an abs slurry , tabs may be held using pop sickle sticks clamped together . The abs doesn’t adhere to wood .
Last edited by Villager on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Hints for detailing and reassembly

Post by TommyXP » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:04 am

Maybe this will help. It is from the .pdf Service manual that also includes many other pictures and notations:
Ign coil.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.