Rattle once RPM off of idle.

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
TommyXP
Staff

Rattle once RPM off of idle.

Post by TommyXP » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:42 pm

From my PM box and I am in hopes that more will see it here and offer some suggestions too:

Sent: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:40 pm
Recipient: TommyXP
I have a 2010 150i with 8000 miles and recently when returning from 1000 mi trip, a buzzing/rattle has developed. If i adjust rpm slightly it seems to decrease and also if under load (uphill) it decreases a little. I've checked speedo/speedo cable, tightened bolts, checked exhaust manifold bolts from head for tightness, but nothing seems to help. Rattle is when cold and hot. Possible exhaust baffle rattle?? Any ideas for what it could be? Otherwise pretty much the best scooter/motorcycle I've ever owned, over 5000 miles in two years and just returned from 1000 mile trip over long weekend. Overall mpg is averaging 92.3 (104 max, 87.9 min)
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Rattle once RPM off of idle.

Post by TommyXP » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:49 pm

Old Slow, I took the liberty of posting your inquiry here in hopes of obtaining more input. IMHO it doesn't sound serious but I typed "rattle" into the search function and offer you some suggestions that only reading can provide:
search.php?keywords=rattle

Glad to hear how much you are enjoying your ride and after ~40k miles I still feel the same way too!
Be sure to let us know what you find/think after all........

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:36 am

So still rattling when you are sat on it.. Not the seat latch then...
My first port off call would be to have the bike idling on the centre stand...
Then with a bit of wood / 12" of broom handle or a long screw driver, rest this on various parts of the scoot, slight push (blunt end of the screwdriver) - any change? can you feel any thing? Vibes? - or place ya ear on the end (this time, ear to blunt end of screwdriver) - ala mechanics stethoscope...

Particularly the transmission casing by the variator, then the clutch - My favourite would be the variator - rollers or sliding pieces...

Oldslow

Post by Oldslow » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:57 am

That was my first guess also, rattle/buzzing only occurs when drive train is engaged both accelerating and decelerating (I love the compression braking); however pulled variator and didn't look worn at all. Didn't pull clutch so possibility. It's tough for me to determine (getting old: hearing aids) exact location of where rattling is coming from, but when had on stand appears to be coming from right side of scooter...

I have mechanics stethoscope, so may get a friend to hold scooter and twist throttle while I check out different locations.

Thanks for suggestions....

Side note: Any exhaust solutions better than $500 for oem?

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 pm

I posted a thread about the fender mount weakness. Haven't got time to search for it now. Maybe Tommy can find it.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:33 am

IMHO if the noise/rattle is on the starboard side, I'd assume it is the insert in the muffler that others in the past had isolated too, and determined it to be of a point of no concern. If you want to dissemble the clutch, which usually isn't necessary (just blow it out with compressed air), you won't be entirely wasting your Time, as it is a good experience to familiarize yourself with its workings and how to access for future reference.
Your gas mileage is spectacular, the bike is running strong and I hope you can locate this source of your annoyance.

Regarding OEM muffler replacement:
Many people have written extensively on the various ones available and their experiences with them. I strongly encourage and oft times beg people to utilize and become familiar with the wonderful SEARCH function that this site provides. I could easily and gladly do it for others BUT: in the long run I am not really doing them any favor or service and am actually stifling the development of natural abilities that await discovery within ourselves. Get in there, muck around, refine your terms, be creative and READ READ READ.

IMHO 'Reading' is a gift of the Gods especially created for the never-ending infinite expansion of the Soul and and affords the Gift to truly LIVE within and THROUGH ones precious Mind, especially with the selfless 'help' provided by some of the superior Minds that have gone before us.
Seems, now-a-daze, people only want to live through their external senses (I-phone mentality) and unwittingly confine themselves to this lower level physical dimension of the prison-planet we temporarily abide in.....
When we were mandated by law into forced 'schooling' one of the first things we read was "See Jane run...See Spot run" whilst little realizing that it was being pointed out to us that we could read many marvelous things and ACTUALLY 'see' them within our Minds; BUT then they perverted the whole process and included a silly picture with it and the poor dumb kid thinks the 'words' refer to THAT picture; a very poor example of what we are ultimately capable of with just the slightest bit of imagination, e.g. "See Jane run naked from the shower after I slipped the rubber snake inside!"...Get the 'picture'?

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:02 am

Oldslow

Post by Oldslow » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Wow, didn't even think to check the fender mounts....just goes to show the value of this website and willing owners to share info. Even if its not the issue now, something to add to the "check-it-when taking off exhaust" list next time I'm replacing rear brake shoes. Even if not loose, it's now a tagged issue, so really easy to beef up mount attachment when scoot is torn down for another reason...

Also really liked the visual image of "Jane running from shower...." ;)

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Oldslow wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:57 am
Any exhaust solutions better than $500 for oem?
These guys have the best prices I can find.
https://scooterpartsco.com/honda/honda- ... 4087b5de57

Oldslow

Post by Oldslow » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:46 am

Thanks for pointing me towards scooterpartsco.

Today went out and lo and behold when i grabbed back of rear fender and wiggled, it's loose. So I'll tear down over weekend and implement the solution you've graciously outlined to see if it resolves the bussing/rattle. May as well pull the rear wheel off and replace rear brake shoes while at it...

Thanks again and will let you know if the repair fixes the buzzing rattle.