got the windscreen

Show off your new bike or favorite routes
Baysidebob

got the windscreen

Post by Baysidebob » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Finally got the windscreen. Honda topbox and equine bags for shopping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Honda SH150i
Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec.
My actuary says I'm dead.

robber57
Admin

Re: got the windscreen

Post by robber57 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Nice!, congrats!

You're still missing the rubber "pillion back support" on the topcase.

One tip: it's not worth the money!
It's an over expensive 50 euro rubber doormat in the shape of an pillow :evil: ( as i found out), unfortunately it does not have the comfort of a pillow, its a ridged piece of rubber with on the backside some holes in the rubber to save on the raw material and you stick it on the case with some double sided adhesive tape.
I thought it would be something like the seat; a plastic carrier filled with foam and covered by some vinyl, the price also suggests that. :roll:

if you would like to have a back support you can make it yourself at 1/20 of the price by buying some "closed cell" foam and cut and sand the shape and stick it on with some double sided tape.
you will find closed cell foam for instance in the knee pad's sold at D-I-Y shops/hardware shop, if you have never seen one; its a square piece of 1 inch thick polyethylene or polyurethane foam you can sit with your knees on while working on your bike/car/tomatoes etc etc., usually sold for a few dollar/euro.
Closed cell? : if the cells are closed the can not absorb water , open cell foam absorbs water like a pillow.

Another tip, if you're handy with small mechanics( and like a good puzzle challenge) ; you can take the lock-cylinder of the topbox apart and re-arrange the key sliders to match the ignition key so you have one key for the ignition and topbox.
In a worst case scenario you will not have all the correct sizes tumblers to match the ignition key and of 6 tumblers you can only make 4 or 5 to match the ignition key, theoretically the chance an other honda ignition key will fit the lock will become higher but i think thats being a bit paranoia(its a plastic box-not a safe :lol: ), so my lock also only has 4 sliders but the ignition key fits 8-)
Its a "wafer tumbler" lock ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wafer_tumbler_lock which works ,more or less, like a "Pin tumbler" lock ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_tumbler_lock
If you have ever taken a lock apart to see how it works it should be not that difficult to do this yourself provided you patient and accurate.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

Baysidebob

Post by Baysidebob » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:16 pm

I don't ride two-up. The one "mod" I had done was to have the extra foam removed from the seat so I'm not trapped in that little spot. I had an aftermarket top box on it. I prefer the Honda one. Matching colors, more volume and no adapter. I'm very pleased with the windscreen. "worth it" and "not worth it" depends on how it's amortized. Given my age, if this thing holds up like a Honda should and continues to perform as it does it will be amortized out over a life-time rendering savings not realized on many other vehicles I've owned.
Honda SH150i
Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec.
My actuary says I'm dead.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 pm

True...

ujim

Post by ujim » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:00 pm

Relative to the tip shown in the string above:
"Another tip, if you're handy with small mechanics( and like a good puzzle challenge) ; you can take the lock-cylinder of the topbox apart and re-arrange the key sliders to match the ignition key so you have one key for the ignition and topbox.
In a worst case scenario you will not have all the correct sizes tumblers to match the ignition key and of 6 tumblers you can only make 4 or 5 to match the ignition key, theoretically the chance an other honda ignition key will fit the lock will become higher but i think thats being a bit paranoia(its a plastic box-not a safe ), so my lock also only has 4 sliders but the ignition key fits
Its a "wafer tumbler" lock ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wafer_tumbler_lock which works ,more or less, like a "Pin tumbler" lock ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_tumbler_lock
If you have ever taken a lock apart to see how it works it should be not that difficult to do this yourself provided you patient and accurate."

I'm going to try to key my Honda top box to be the same as my bike key.
But before I do, I'd like to check the forum to see if anyone has found a way to get this done officially w/ Honda.
I called my local dealer, and they didn't have a clue. Told me to try a locksmith.

Thx

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:32 pm

If you want to do it yourself: best would be to first take an old ignition lock or similar apart so you get an idea on what to expect when you take it apart, the parts are very small and include tiny springs, use a BIG table and a table cloth on it....

ambientscape

Post by ambientscape » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:55 am

I have got my original Honda SH Top Box for about $30 including the workmanship of ammending the keylock to match my ignition key. It just took them about 10 minutes to ammend the locking mechanism.

There is alot of SH Top Box for sale here at dirt cheap price because they don't like the top box and often leave the top box for the dealer when they collect their new bike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:42 am

Nice!, thats a bargain!

Arbiter

Post by Arbiter » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:11 am

I've also matched trunk latch in the lock to fit the key from the ignition (DIY about 0,5 hour)

yuriysorin

Post by yuriysorin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:09 pm

Hey Bob,
I live in Bayside too. Bayside, WI 53217. Are you from here as well?
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bayside,+ ... 14&vpsrc=6

Thx
Yura