Spam Attacks

Everything not scooter related and still legal goes here
TommyXP
Staff

Re: Spam Attacks

Post by TommyXP » Sat May 21, 2011 6:57 am

I don't understand this problem or how we can help. I see no postings where you discuss this issue or what needs to be done. Seems to me you just came out of nowhere and up and quit for reasons that you didn't take the time to inform us of. I view it as a great and terrible loss and wish I knew why it occurred. Any one available to enlighten me?
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Activator

Post by Activator » Sat May 21, 2011 7:08 am

I've seen LOT of other motorcycle and scooter-related forums getting "hacked" lately. Seems to be some "enterprising" Eastern Block hackers flexing their skills - mostly Czech domains from what I've seen. Not sure why they are targeting two-wheeled forums.

I think what needs to happen is all users must re-register, or at least be forced to "update" their info and change their passwords, and the registration process has to add some sort of "Captcha" routine (where you type in hard-to-read letters that are displayed on the screen, or answer a question) to make it harder for non-human's to register, log in and especially to POST COMMENTS. The extra 2 seconds it takes to post will be worth the anti-spam protection.

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Sat May 21, 2011 7:39 am

I emailed Mike (Pappy) and offered to moderate. I'm on here on a daily basis.
Terry
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

tpi

Post by tpi » Sat May 21, 2011 9:31 am

I'm on here almost every day and would be happy to zap some spam if I had a method to do it.

Also could the system be changed so someone has to be approved prior to posting, or other features put in place to make it more difficult for spam bots to register. Since the forum is only getting a trickle of new legitimate members each month, maybe a short email exchange with prospective members before allowing them to post..

How about to start a setup where when the new mods detect spam they can zap the thread and the user?

smorris

Post by smorris » Mon May 23, 2011 6:45 am

I've talked to the site owner several times over the past half dozen months, and he agreed to make bigbird a moderator, but never did it. I've written back and reminded him many times, and get no response.

The moderators quit Jeff's other site, urbanscootin, a month or so ago due to the hundreds of spam messages being encountered daily. JEff finally just closed registration to avoid the problem, but apparently didn't so so here.

Over the winter I was on here every day deleting spam accounts, but once the weather got nice, I haven't been on this site for a few weeks now.

If you guys want to improve things, just keep PM'ing and emailing Jeff (duderiffic) the site owner, and ask him to fix it.

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Mon May 23, 2011 7:56 am

smorris wrote:I've talked to the site owner several times over the past half dozen months, and he agreed to make bigbird a moderator, but never did it. I've written back and reminded him many times, and get no response.
I just PM'd Jeff this morning again offering my services to moderate the spam.
Let's hope he replies.
Terry
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:10 pm

I also mailed duderiffic and offered to be a moderator.....
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:37 am

Tada!!

There is a captcha installed and probably i am one of the users who's password has been compromised since i had to log in,then got a message that i had tried to many times to login(which i did not but probably the spammer did since i changed my password last night) and now needed to verify with login-pass and a captcha.

Hope this will stop the flood....

Thank you duderiffic!
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.