Google Bot

Everything not scooter related and still legal goes here
breaknwind

Google Bot

Post by breaknwind » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:28 pm

What's the deal with bots as registered users. Are they hunting info to exploit.

robber57
Admin

Re: Google Bot

Post by robber57 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:39 am

If i block them the site will never again show op in a google search, that simple.

Its a bot (robot) which scans in regular intervals websites by the trillions to index them so they can be ranked and shown on searches.
The registered status is so google can see the photo's and attachments and also index these, if i would make it a "guest" it would not be able to see all that.
It is, to my knowledge, a standard setting of the phpBB software.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Google Bot

Post by TommyXP » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:30 am

May I suggest an add-on called "Ghostery". It blocks all access to your computer of these nosy bots.

Right now, there is a little "1" (for this site) at the top of my browser and when I hover over it it shows that "Google analytics" is blocked from my computer. It is sometimes amazing to see 3-10 different bots blocked, on some pages and sites......

I just began using this a few weeks ago and am impressed. It operates totally in the background and doesn't effect performance or operation of ones system..........
For what it's worth.....Looks like this when selected.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.