Helmets: 3/4 or full face...

Helmets, Jackets, Gloves, Pants, Boots
TommyXP
Staff

Re: Helmets: 3/4 or full face...

Post by TommyXP » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:20 am

luxroller wrote:@ Tommy XP
Strange enough you recommend all safety gear, but you ride without a helm :shock: are you serious ?
I highly recommend your advice to all and thanks for sharing. One should consider all aspects before making a decision of what to do or not, and prayerfully, as Nature intended, one is Free to do with and for oneself as one wishes without interference of "law" or the herd mentality of the majority (democracy).

The basic safety gear will be involved in ~100% of boo-boo's involved with the majority of "mistakes" one (or mostly others) makes while riding, while the helmet will be involved in a much lower percentage, and for me, the helmet places too many restrictions upon "senses" that might have been better utilized in the first place and an encumbrance I purposely choose to do without.

Personally, I find it worrisome the over-emphasis (fear) placed upon physical safety no matter what one does or where one goes now-a-daze, as if the physical aspects of "living" are the only and ultimate concern. People suffer/tolerate the most demeaning procedures for physical "safety" whilst sacrificing and humiliating their once free, now damned (if considered at all), Spirit.....

"Tis' to prize Life at its just worth, to abandon it for a dream."

Again, you proffer sound advice that all should consider and I agree with it based on the assumptions upon which it is constructed. I also agree with those who don't heed it and choose otherwise.
Enjoy your ride and your choice.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

luxroller

Post by luxroller » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:44 am

Thanks for your kind reaction, i could expect you to tell me to mind my own bussiness, but you didnt and i appreciate ;)
Enjoy your ride and your choice

You too ;)

Toni

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:43 pm

I have a modular full face for the cold and a skid lid for the warm/hot. Almost crashed twice because of visibility with the full face. Defensive driving is more important than defensive crashing. Doing a wheelie and cornering too fast are signs of not using what's under the helmet :lol:
No boo boos with 145,000 miles on the clock. No one can avoid everything, but knowing your limitations and your surroundings is crucial. Oops, didn't see that lion behind me.

GetOutside

Post by GetOutside » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:20 pm

I will add some more insight to this and then back off. Most of us have heard the saying “your in the group that’s been down or in the group that’s going down”. Myself in the first group at an early age of 18, some 35 years ago. At that time I was wearing a 3/4 Bell. I save that old scraped up helmet for years so I could be reminded to wear one all the time. That old Bell save my head for sure, I used to say I would have left my ear on the pavement. Now years later I’m deeply involved in ski safety, I’ve seen many head injuries, some prevented by helmets and some that were not. I’ve seen helmets shatter and the person walk away. Everyone has their own personal choice when deciding to wear a helmet or not and I get that too. Just hope you all think about living to ride another day or 35 years as my personal experience helped me with the decision. We all know there are many cell phones and dumb people not paying attention to what they are doing when behind the wheel of their cages. Here is a link that may shed some light on the subject. http://vimeo.com/77008826
Encourage everyone you know to wear helmets -- they do save lives.

eggman

Post by eggman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:24 am

Howdy,

FF helmet for me. Gloves and jacket, too.

SWDan

Post by SWDan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:58 am

Put me down for full face, don't like bugs.
Honda, 2010, SH150i

TurnOne

Post by TurnOne » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:05 pm

I live in Ohio USA and you will find many states have helmet laws, but not all are MANDATORY helmet laws. Ohio for example requires helmets for anyone under 18 years of age, and for those with less than one year of having a full motorcycle license (not a temp or restricted). America is unlike many other parts of the world (duh), we have restricted then we have full. No tiers or steps. Ohio is a little crazy as the 'restricted/temp/permit' limits the ability to ride on the highways, at night and no passengers, but doesn't limit HP/cc of the bike.

Having said all of that, it would be very hard for me to move somewhere that requires a helmet 100% of the time. I either wear a lot of gear, or no gear at all and how I ride is different for each situation. No way I would wear an open face helmet EVER. When I was 15 years old and I had a 1987 Elite 150, I knew an older gentleman who rode all of his life. He always wore an open face helmet. He ended up face planting into a car and it killed him. Left me with the mindset that you should cover your face if you bother to cover any of it.

I also harp on youngsters who try to be cool and leave the helmet unbuckled. When I was 14, I learned that an unbuckled helmet pops off your head upon impact. Woke up in ICU at the local hospital. That was on a Yamaha Riva 80.

I always wear ear plugs! Never leave home without those.

Don't get me started on chaps. Cover every part of the leg, when your ass is the most likely sliding spot and that part is left uncovered.

fullmetalscooter

Post by fullmetalscooter » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:26 pm

Even thought it's an old post I ll add my unwanted 2 cent worth. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26534408 the link show the aftermath of crash I think with 3/4 helmet. MRI look at someone face after crash with 3/4 helmet. https://www.flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2450912496/ Second look at it MRI https://www.flickr.com/photos/roentgena ... otostream/

Flip up helmets are worth getting if you want the best of both worlds. Nolan n90 or 91 is a good lid to buy. You may be get luck and not be hit anytime soon but the odds are you are going down sooner or latter. Someone going to turn in front of you. Come into your lane etc.

QWERT

Post by QWERT » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:30 pm

I. New in the forum.

Anyways, been riding form 30 y. If you wear glasses it's a bit of a annoyance to use a pure ff. I use a 3/4 hjc fb (that has a full face screen), to commute, and a Schubert c3 modular to travel. Never had a problem so far. There's now doubt in my mind that a ff is always the safest choice, but as long has you wear a good helmet (the minimum for me is a good fiberglass 3/4) and wear it ALWAYS, you diminish the risk by a large margin. You can never be 100%safe (even if you drive around in a tank). If you have safety as your only priority you can never ride (or live, for that matter). For me: wear a good 3/4 or modular helmet, that fits, (and don't save on the helmet). I also always wear a jacket and gloves (even in my daily commute).
Be safe!

Cheers.
-
DL 650 VStrom '08
SH 125i '15
Portugal - Iberia - Europe - Earth

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Fri May 05, 2017 7:24 am

A Flip Front is ideal... Best of Both Worlds.
Up when stopped or bimbling along... / Down when the speed rises...

Had a few Cabergs, Trip, Konda, Duke - evolving versions of the same helmet...
Latest is a HJC IS-MAx 2 - purchased a week or so ago...
Ride Safe!