Helmets: 3/4 or full face...

Helmets, Jackets, Gloves, Pants, Boots
Budz

Helmets: 3/4 or full face...

Post by Budz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:03 pm

What are your thoughts 3/4 or full face for urban riding at 25-35 mph...
Last edited by Budz on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

southerncannuck

Re: Helmets: 3/4 or full face...

Post by southerncannuck » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:57 pm

I usually wear a 1/2, unless it's cold.

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:30 pm

For urban only riding, I wear a white Scorpion EVO-100 half. For any highway riding, I use a hi-vis Schuberth C3 modular. Both helmets have internal drop down deep tinted visors.
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

GetOutside

Post by GetOutside » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 am

Temps do play a role in making the decision which to wear but if I had to choose only one I'd pick full face. The owner of the shop I visit on occasion told me of a friend of his who went for a test ride on a bike they worked on, he did a wheelie and came off the back when he got up his jaw was to the side. Arai full face works for me.

Budz

Post by Budz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Bought my full face helmet today
Thank you for all the input and good advice

Budz

Post by Budz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:37 pm

Budz wrote:Bought my full face helmet today
Thank you for all the input and good advice
Thanks again for the full face helmet recommendation. I never ride without it!
This poor fellow didn't have one on...(it's a bit graphic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_0fUTO6JH8

luxroller

Post by luxroller » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:03 am

Full face helmets properly secured always ;) (best in fibre) otherwise you're asking for it in my opinion ;)
I don't like pictures or video's of people who fell on their face without a good helmet, but they show very well of what can happen if you're not serious about savety ;)
An indication about the quality of many helmets you can find here: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/helmet-safety-scheme

Linus

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:45 am

Personally, since the repeal of the "helmet laws" in Michigan a couple years ago, I only put a helmet on (¾) when the temp goes below 50° and put the face-shield down below 32°; only for comfort. I also use an old WW1 leather "pilots" helmet when its cool out, and it stores neatly taking up little space.

Though I always wear and recommend a good riding jacket w/gloves and stout shoes and "rip-stop" pants, the "feeling" is that if I have to wear a helmet, I might as well be in a car/cage.

To each his own. To be out in the elements mimicking the wind, which neither knows where it comes from or where it goes, is what its basically all about....

And if ones brief time on the physical plane is about to be terminated/up-graded, there are some things that one should be aware of:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

IntlRunner
Staff

Post by IntlRunner » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:06 am

The only helmet that I found to fit my head is the Arai profile. Also, when I took the motorcycle safety course, they stressed the high number of incidents where a crash results In a frontal impact so if you value your face, then a full face is the way to go, but to each there own.

I should also add my father was in a motorcycle crash 23 years ago and was not wearing a helmet. Result was permanent brain damage and he never was the same person and thats enough motivation for me because sitting by the bedside because a loved one is expected to die brings home the point, its not just about you, but also the loved ones who would need to take care of you if something goes wrong.
2008 Honda ST1300
2010 Honda Sh150i

luxroller

Post by luxroller » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:54 am

@ Tommy XP: In michigan you're not obliged to wear a helmet on a motorcycle ??? :shock: I googled it and its true :? I was grown up in Holland and since i was a kid there is the obligation to wear a good helmet on any motorcycle, and to me that is something so logical and normal and i cannot immaginate that someone would ride a motorcycle by his own choice without a helmet.
Strange enough you recommend all safety gear, but you ride without a helm :shock: are you serious ? A helmet is the very basic protection, all the rest is good, but irrelevant compared to the importance of head and brain protection !
I have had a few crashes on motorbikes and if i did not wear a good fullface helmet i would not be here now !! (in two years time i had two similar accidents, cornering too fast and both times i ended against a wall crashing my bike and hitting my head against the stone wall: my helmet saved my life more than once :D ).
A helmet is limitating the joy of motorbike riding ? Maybe you only have to get used to it, a good (fullface)helmet is youre friend ;) Please, dont get me wrong but reflect on it ;)

Toni

P.s.
Bought my full face helmet today
Good choice ;)