seanstr26m

Longest lasting tire brand

Post by seanstr26m » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:40 pm

How long and which brand for sh150i

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Longest lasting tire brand

Post by TommyXP » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:44 am

In my limited experience, I carelessly allowed the original Dunlop tire (rear) to wear down to the threads and that was at ~9,000 miles.
I switched to City Grips (Michelin) and currently have more than 8,000 miles on it and it is still looking healthy.
A lot depends on riding 'style' and road surface conditions in the area you are glad to ride.....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

seanstr26m

Post by seanstr26m » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:39 am

TommyXP wrote:In my limited experience, I carelessly allowed the original Dunlop tire (rear) to wear down to the threads and that was at ~9,000 miles.
I switched to City Grips (Michelin) and currently have more than 8,000 miles on it and it is still looking healthy.
A lot depends on riding 'style' and road surface conditions in the area you are glad to ride.....
Thank you.

luxroller

Post by luxroller » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:56 am

I dont know how and to where youre riding but tyregrip under differnt circumstances should always be more important :geek:
I think that for example the metzeler feelfree would satisfy the needs of most riders: good grip on dry and wet and a good mileage ;)
Toni

Beco

Post by Beco » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:48 am

Original tyre were Dunlop 451 an lasted 12000km
Now I have City Grips 17000km and still in good shape

seanstr26m

Post by seanstr26m » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:15 pm

Should the tires get balanced?

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:09 am

Yes, with the 'front' being far more critical than the 'rear'.
I use this:
Balance.JPG
I notice that this one is now available and is even less costly. It includes a "bullseye" level in the base which I would now prefer and recommend:
balanc.jpg
FREE shipping!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Whee ... 2194326330
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

webbcord

Post by webbcord » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:04 am

I like Pirelli MT-75 soft rubber tires , great grip . 7 to 10 K per rear . On my 3rd set at 39 K miles. A lot depends on style of ridding.

seanstr26m

Post by seanstr26m » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:41 am

TommyXP wrote:In my limited experience, I carelessly allowed the original Dunlop tire (rear) to wear down to the threads and that was at ~9,000 miles.
So I just took off my old rear tire and put on my new city grip,.....

It was very tiring. I could have just cut the old one off but getting the new one on, the last side the last bit was very strenuous. I am so sore and tired.

Question do any of you have a trick for getting the bead to catch? I tried and tried and tried. I didn't take the stem out is that the trick?

Ratchet strap too?

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 am

I can relate to the effort expended to get he job done......
I used a ratchet strap and removed the "Schraeder" valve from the valve stem and some soap too.
Of the 4 I've done, 3 'SET' with a loud thunk......and one, which concerned me, made no noise at all but 'SET' and sealed with no problem.
I remember when I first started mounting, I was certain that I had obtained the wrong, smaller sized tire!
Be cautious as to direction of tire rotation. City-Grip treads are opposite of normal......
Good Luck!