SH125 cut out and water issue

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
ZaceyBoy

SH125 cut out and water issue

Post by ZaceyBoy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Evening,

Really hope you can help, bought a Honda SH as a project and so I can do the mechanics myself as I have a Kawasaki ZX6R that I just take to the garage for any mechanics as its my pride and joy.

Well going back to the issue, I start the bike and within the first two minutes of riding it will cut out at least once. It will start straight back up on the button and continue like normal. After a few more minutes the temp will increase and continue up to the red. Then it will go straight back to the quarter mark and will then just stay there. When I get home I checked the coolant reserve and it had gone from the max line and reduced to just above the min line. This was a 10min ride, the fan doesn't appear to be switching on.

I've completed a coolant change and the water didn't appear to be dis coloured and the oil does not appear to be frothy, or an unusual colour on the dip stickut. I'm not sure when this was last changed as I only bought it yesterday and have only rode it for 50mins max.

Has any one got any ideas on the issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: SH125 cut out and water issue

Post by TommyXP » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:52 am

Before considering anything else; it sounds to me like an air-bleeding issue when changing the coolant.
On the 2010SH there is a small bolt atop the thermostat housing that MUST be removed when re-filling the radiator; until liquid pours forth and then it is replaced and filling completed.
What do you think so far?
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

ZaceyBoy

Post by ZaceyBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 am

Hiya, yes I completed a full coolant change and undone the bolt let it fill to that point then put it back in, continued to fill and kept adding until there were no more bubbles coming out. Then put the rad cap back on.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:04 am

Thinking: is the 'pain-in-the-*ss' black rubber cap properly seated atop the reservoir tank??? I remember struggling with that.......

ZaceyBoy

Post by ZaceyBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:45 am

That was something I did struggle with. I will have a look at again to fight. I found it difficult but I'm sure I managed to get it on properly. I'm taking it to a friend who is a motorbike mechanic tomorrow as the last thing I want to do is warp the head gasket if it's not already done due to it over heating. I really wanted to solve the issue myself but if the head gasket has gone I want it fixed asap.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 am

I am reluctant to jump to the worst conclusion before giving it more thought and attention and eliminating other/every possibility.
Was this an issue since you first attained the bike?
When starting the bike, when you turn the ignition switch to ON, do you wait for the indicator lamps to extinguish before starting it?
Do we have 2 problems rather than one?
Wish I were a better mechanic at times like these.....

ZaceyBoy

Post by ZaceyBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:01 am

I bought it from the last owner knowing it had some kind of issue. Got it really cheap, he said it cuts out sporadically on a 30mile journey it done it twice. When I got on it I got it around the corner and it cut out but started on the button and carried on.

Yes I always turn ignition on and wait a few seconds before pushing the start button.

When I emptied the coolant reserve it was full to the brimliterally the woke bottle was full. The thing I cannot work out is the cutting out once after 2 mins of riding then just starting up again and then the reason why it raises in temperature to max then droos straight back down and stays down and doesn't fluctuate from this.

I always think worst case and I know my friend will give it a good once over and not stripe me up. Fingers crossed it isn't worst case but he did mention that if it's been overheating it could blow the head gasket quite easily. Your right though I should think positive :-)

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:31 am

Thermostat sticking, not seated properly, or upside down????
Check battery connections. The lead nuts and bolts on the battery tend to 'relax' after initial tightening I found.........other electrical connections + connections at 2 relays under seat compartment that have caused problems for others in the past. See:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6406

Still have the 'feeling' it is 2 somethings simple's.......

ZaceyBoy

Post by ZaceyBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Yes the thermostat was my first thought but if this has been an issue for a while and the previous owner allowed to to keep over heating then this would lead to the head gasket giving out.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Very hard to tell what the previous thought and did. Many times they do things that lead one away from the original 'problem'.....Long ago when fixing electronics, IF the owner tried fixing it first; the cost of repair would be doubled! Usually had to fix their 'fix' before trying to assess the initial fault......
Best of luck, stay in touch and 'head gasket' would still be be my least likely improbable bet......