Hello -- just got an SH150i

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
Alan

Hello -- just got an SH150i

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi all!

I'm new to scooters but have been riding motorcycles for 45 years.

I bought an SH150i last week from a private party and rode it home that day 200mi/320km. The route was a mix of 2-lane and 4-lane highways over some mountain passes up to 8100ft/2500m.

It ran well and I was impressed by how stable and comfortable it was cruising at up to 65mph/110kph (didn't try to go faster). I even passed a motor home once!

The scooter has 19000 miles on it. Not sure the drive belt has been renewed so that is first priority -- would like to do the work myself. Also one fork seal is weeping. Other than that, so far the bike seems like new excepting minor scratches from a parking lot tip-over or two.

Looking forward to lots of miles and smiles with this thing!

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Hello -- just got an SH150i

Post by TommyXP » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:07 am

Welcome to the Forum Alan, and the joys that the SH provides for us ancient ex-motorcycle riders who can't even begin to imagine a Life worth living without 2 wheels.

I have done a couple 'belts' and it isn't difficult IF you obtain the proper tool to 'hold' the drive pulley while loosening the nut and having a torque wrench available also helps.
I also suggest having some replacement 'rollers' on hand as you most likely need those too.

I also suggest entirely removing the left passenger foot-rest while your in there and leaving it off. It makes Life sooooo much more pleasant when cleaning the belt-case air filter and especially when putting the entire belt case housing (w/gasket) back on.
I wish I had all the time back that I utterly wasted before doing this. It is hard giving up that Hope of snagging some fresh-meat to ride behind you on the spur-of-the-moment, but believe me, this move is worth ALL of that pipe-dream.
Reminds me of when I first started riding in the 60's and always carrying an extra helmet around UNTIL Reality set in, and I realized that the vast, vast majority of women do not like me and I would end up getting smashed and dancing with the bro's and pissing in the helmet.....

I haven't done a fork-seal YET or else I would comment. I have 2 SH of similar mileage to yours, and though I am no mechanic-by-trade, they will never see the inside of a shop. Live and Learn.......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:14 am

How Do...

As for the fork seal... if it is a little weep... may be just road crud at the seal... especially if the stantions are not pitted...
try inserting the finest feeler gauge down the side of the seal and stantion... may dislodge any road crud and allow the seal to er... seal...
If the seal is worn - you have lost nothing...

luxroller

Post by luxroller » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:47 am

Hi Alan,
Congratulations with your new ride, where are the pics and whats the year :mrgreen:
About the drivebelt: mine has 30k/km and the drivebelt is as good and wide as new so i am optimistic making another 20k/km with it :roll: anyway in the worst case it can brake and you will get home by bus or taxi 8-)
If you want to keep it i would rather change oil, airfilter and brakefluid (pads ?) and valve clearance check (easy to do)unless the maintenance is certified.
Reminds me of when I first started riding in the 60's and always carrying an extra helmet around UNTIL Reality set in, and I realized that the vast, vast majority of women do not like me and I would end up getting smashed and dancing with the bro's and pissing in the helmet.....
:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
In Holland in the seventies and eighties the bro's outside of the discobars also would piss in your tank :? :lol: :evil:

Toni

NADman

Post by NADman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:00 pm

At my age I'm just lucky if I CAN piss. :lol:
Thanks for the info on the left pass. footrest @TommyXP.
Bought a new belt and rollers over a yr. ago and they
are still in my closet. (17000Km)
One of these days Maw!

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Cheers TommyXP, SH125Paul, luxroller, NADman what a nice welcome!

At my all-too-rapidly advancing age I am less than optimistic about finding lots of use for the passenger pegs.

BUT the other day a sweet thing at work said "HEY IS THAT *YOUR* NEW BIKE??? IT'S ***REALLY*** NICE!!!"

Hokay!

Also I found myself using the passenger pegs duing the long highway ride bringing it home, just for a change of position. Will certainly take the tip into consideration, though.

My service manual arrived the day before yesterday. I suspect that changing the drive belt will be within my abilities, with the proper "universal holder" tool. Haven't tried to source one yet.

I appreciate that drive belts can last but at 30,000km/19,000mi I will replace for peace of mind. May disassemble and reassemble to check rollers just as a "dry run" for replacing the belt.

SH125Paul -- Thank you for the tip on using a slim feeler gauge to re-set the fork seal! The tube doesn't seem to have any scoring or pitting and the bike hasn't been ridden much in the past 2 years so I'll give it a try.

Seems weird there is no drain plug on the stanchions. Then again it seems weird there is no clutch lever or brake pedal... even weirder than that old Bonnie that shifted on the right.....

Again thanks to all, cheers!

NADman

Post by NADman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:23 pm

There are pics/plans here on this site for the universal holder tool.
A couple of pcs of 1/4 by 1 in flat bar-a few drilled holes and 1/4 in bolts.
Built mine 2-3 yrs ago.
Try search function or maybe someone will point it out.

rdeano

Post by rdeano » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:32 am

I built the holder for my Helix out of 3/4" plywood and some roll (or spring) pins. Could have used shorter pins, but now it doesn't matter which side of the tool faces the bike. It worked just fine. I expect that I will be able to use it on my SH as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.